Pocket Carry a Micro 1911?

This is a discussion on Pocket Carry a Micro 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone pocket carry one of these 3" 45 1911's? I was thinking of trying it with the right pants and holster. I called PCS holsters ...

Thread: Pocket Carry a Micro 1911?

Anyone pocket carry one of these 3" 45 1911's? I was thinking of trying it with the right pants and holster. I called PCS holsters today and he said he doesn't make one for 1911 pocket carry, as he wouldn't ever carry a cocked & locked gun in the pocket! I was just wondering as long as it's in a holster, why would C&L matter if the trigger's covered? Maybe carry chambered, hammer down in pocket?

JD
    Administrator
    IMHO even the MICRO 1911s aren't quite right for pocket carry, they are still not what I would consider small. I actually made an attempt, and it looked like I had a 1911 shaped tumor on my leg or butt.

I slipped my EMPTY one in my pocket bare. Seemed to fit OK. It's as thin as a PM or MK40, just a little larger from the side! I think with the right holster it wouldn't be apparent.

Difficult due to grip, hammer and beavertail

I believe it would be difficult to conceal a 3 inch 1911 in the ordinary pants pocket due to the length of the grip, as well as the hammer and beavertail protruding on the back of the gun. I believe the grip might tend to "peek" from the pocket, and the hammer and beavertail might snag on the pocket in the draw. Additionally, a loaded 3 inch 1911 weighs about 27 ounces with 8 rounds of 230 grain .45 ammo, which is getting pretty heavy for pocket carry.

The picture below shows a Kahr MK9, which will conceal in a pocket, next to a 3 inch 1911. Note the longer grip on the 1911, and the pointed beavertail and hammer at the back of the gun.

I have a 3" Colt alloy framed New Agent and the only pocket I could reasonably carry it would be my winter coat pocket. I had a Kahr PM40 and with a pocket holster and the right pair of Dockers pants I could carry it, but I was very self concious of it. Unless you are a VERY big man with cargo pants it would be tough to pull off.

I broke my right arm a while back and am still not fully back to speed, right-handed. Lacking a good left-handed holster for my Ultra CDP II, I've pocket-carried quite a bit in a DeSantis Nemesis holster.

It's all a matter of how the pockets are constructed. They need to not only be large enough, but also strong enough to hold a weapon that's a bit on the heavy side for that method of carry. The Nemesis holster does help to distribute the weight.

I would not pocket-carry without a good pocket holster. It protects the weapon and keeps it from shifting, and breaks up the outline as well. It also keeps any oil that may be on the weapon from staining your pants, which could call attention to the weapon.

That said, I much prefer to carry in a good IWB holster. Pocket carry is okay, but the holster, supported by a good gunbelt, offers more stability and quicker presentation, and is in my opinion, a superior method of carrying. However, pocket carrying is a viable alternative when you are not able to conceal a belt holster.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I carry an Ultra II, and I can't imagine pocket carrying it. Too big, heavy, and like POGO said, to many things to get snagged when drawing. I love 1911's...but IMO they are just not pocket carry firearms, they are too many edges, levers, etc to have something get snagged on.
    If you can do it, and it is comfortable for you...great....please make sure it is safe....and then carry
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I have been carrying a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com Pocket holster for a couple of years now. Good access, comfortable, prints like a wallet. It's my primary form of carry. All of the objections just aren't true for me. It's almost exactly the same size as a snubby, which is very popular and not much different in size compared with most of the popular pocket semi-auto's.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Kimber Ultra II fits perfectly in a Don Hume Pocket Holster model stamped for .40 K9. I trimmed the leather a tiny bit by the safety. I pocket carry mine some - it is a bit on the big side but it works fine. I usually wear 5.11 pants. No problem with the draw, and the trigger is totally covered so it can't go off if the safety gets bumped.
    Attached Images

Ordered a Desantis Super Fly (Nemesis with a cover) and they actually list Kimber UC as an option! May try a leather one later, but this should come in quicker.

For regular pockets I wouldn't. If I had cargo pants with the larger cargo pockets it would be a possibility.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Same here. Pocket carry in cargo pants works for me. My pockets on my khakis & jeans are way too small for my Ultra. My PM9 is smaller and it's still fairly big for pocket carry with khakis & jeans.

Sponsored Links