Shooter's thoughts on Sig 229-40cal. pistol?

This is a discussion on Shooter's thoughts on Sig 229-40cal. pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of buying a Sig 229-40cal. pistol. My hand size is between small to medium! I presently shoot the Glock 23 and was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooter's thoughts on Sig 229-40cal. pistol?

I am thinking of buying a Sig 229-40cal. pistol. My hand size is between small to medium! I presently shoot the Glock 23 and was wondering if any shooters on this site could share their experiences who have shot - the Sig 229( felt recoil,reliablity, accuracy). Enjoy your day & thank-You for your thoughts! There's no life before coffee!

VIP Member
    Reliability is top notch. The 229 is a proven platform, in service across the globe. You should have absolutely no problems in that area.

Accuracy is very good. It's not a target pistol, but it is more then capable of "combat" accuracy. Sigs have a well deserved reputation for being among the most accurate out-of-the-box service type pistols.

Recoil. This is very subjective, but I find the recoil quite tolerable. The .40 is a snappy round, but the Sig absorbs it well. Having both a G23 and .40 P229, I believe the felt recoil to be slightly, but noticeably less in the Sig. As I mentioned in another post, the Hogue rubber grips really help in "softening the blow," but they can tend to grab on to cover garments.

The bottom line is that the P229 in .40 is an extremely good weapon, one that combines reliability, power, accuracy, capacity, size, etc. into one of the finest (IMO, at least) service pistols available.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    The 229 is the cats behind in a combat pistol. I'll 2nd everything OPFOR said, he's right on target.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sig...

Cat-O-Matic... I also have small to medium hands, probably more to the small side, I am 5'5", 140lbs... I tried the P229 in .40, it was too big for me. I went with the P239 in .40, it is a perfect fit and a great gun. I will never trade my Sig. I do have gun buying fever and am looking at a few options, not Sigs.. But the Sig will be my favorite.

I tend to think that with the new p220 carry available and being about the size of the p229 and ammo being comparable in price....I would go for the .45. I have heard even better things about the accuracy of the Sig in .45
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    Ya'll might want to read this thread first, so you can see where catomatic is coming from.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=35134
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have the P229 SAS, which is basically just the same with a melt job. I don't see how someone with small to medium hands can consider this gun as-is...maybe with a grip replacement, but I've got BIG hands and this fills my grip.

I've never had a pistol I like more. If the size of the grip isn't a problem, I highly recommend you get one.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

What is the felt recoil with the Sig P239 in 40 caliber? How is its accuracy? The gun doesn't have a rail but a friend of mine told me that they make a light that can fit between the knuckels of your hand while holding the pistol!

Administrator
    Alright Cat, I'm going to lay it all out for you. The 239's felt recoil is going to be more than your 23. If you dont like the recoil of the 23, you are not going to like the 239 in 40. There is nothing wrong with a 9mm 239. In fact, its one of my favorite guns to shoot. Both caliber 239's are wicked accurate, but given the 9mm is much softer shooting you will see better results faster with the 9mm.
    No matter the model you choose, Sigs are top notch guns and you cant go wrong with any of them.

The 229 was brought up because it has all the features you wanted, and its a heavier gun than your Glock. It boils down to basic physics... a heavy gun will have much less felt recoil than a light one. Another important issue that we never asked about is; Whats this gun going to be used for? A carry gun? Or is it a sock drawer gun for when things go bump in the night? Will it do both tasks?

Yes, there are several lights you can hold and shoot with... check out all the light threads in the related gear forum. There are lots of light geeks here, they are most helpful.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Let's see, I have 2 P239's and 2 P229's, all in 9mm.The 229 is what I carry all the time. I have shot approx 3400 rds thru these pistols, all types of ammo, sometimes I clean the guns, sometimes I don't, they have fired in the rain, sand, and heat, accurate and reliable, never a hiccup. Ever. My older G19 (1st gen) did misfire later on and I sold it for a 3rd gen G19. The sigs have always worked.r
    If you want a boring gun, pull trigger go bang, pull trigger go bang all the time get the sig.

To SIXTO: The gun would be used for home defense!

Lead Moderator
    The folks here have all given you good advice on the 229. Just to add a little, I wear a medium sized glove, if that gives you an idea of hand size, and I have no trouble holding my 229 (40).

The other nice thing is that you can get a SIG drop in barrel in 357 SIG if you decide to play at a later date..... And the magazines are 357/40.

Also most of the new 229's come with the rail, unless you are getting an "upscale" model like an SAS, you'll have problems finding a 229 without one.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I fired a new Sig 229 this weekend for the first time. First impressions. FTF first round at least 3 times. I asked the owner if he cleaned and lubed it when he got it. He did not Accuracy was really good, double action was good, I have medium sized hands and if the grip was any bigger it would have been too big. Good weapon but I'm so used to my H&K and think it is slightly easier to shoot.

Joe

I have both the P229 Equinox and a G23.

The P229, to me, has less perceived recoil than the G23. It is heavier and makes double tap and follow up shots easy to control. Another cool thing, much like the G23, is the ability to drop in a 357 SIG barrel and have another gun.

As far as the grip size is concerned the P229 is my wife's 2nd favorite gun to shoot (behind the 629 Classic, go figure) and she has small hands. She has no problems controlling it and even used it to qualify for her handgun license class.

The best thing to do is find a range or a friend who has a 229 you can rent and shoot to see what you think yourself. Opinions are nice, but only you can make the final decision.

P229 - Outstanding gun

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    I presently shoot the Glock 23 and was wondering if any shooters on this site could share their experiences who have shot - the Sig 229 (felt recoil,reliablity, accuracy).
    I have a G23 and also the P229 in .40 caliber. I have had them for about 7 or 8 years, and have shot both quite a bit. I have carried both in the past, but not currently.

I consider the G23 to be a very good gun, and the P229 to be an outstanding gun. For your home defense application the P229 would be perfect. It is very accurate and completely reliable, in my experience.

The G23 has a sharp recoil, but it is a 24 ounce gun and .40 caliber is fairly energetic. Firing the same ammo in the P229 is a breeze, as the gun weighs 32 ounces and has a heavy slide. It is fairly clear to me that Sig designed the P229 from the ground up to handle .40 caliber, and they did a good job of it.

From a carry standpoint, I found the P229 to be a little on the heavy and thick side. It can be carried concealed with a good holster and belt, but I personally prefer a gun that is lighter weight and thinner for CCW.

Here is a picture of my P229:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links