Full Size 1911 suitable?

This is a discussion on Full Size 1911 suitable? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow! Thanks for all of the great information. I'm really surprised to see so many folks that have or do carry a 1911. I understand ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full Size 1911 suitable?

Wow! Thanks for all of the great information. I'm really surprised to see so many folks that have or do carry a 1911. I understand that single action automatics are not for the unitiated, and I am very diligently trying to do it justice. I'm really somewhat new to handguns, but I have been regularly practicing at my Dad's farm (who is tickled to finally see his son come around). For that reason I may buy a DA/SA automatic or even a revolver until I have a few more years with the 'ol 1911 before I consider carrying it. And just to clarify, I am personally am not worried about C&L as I understand this was how the gun was designed to be carried. However, many people more experienced that I have expressed concern with this setup, and that makes me doubt its inherent safety.

I understand now that Fobus is a horrible choice - at least for Concealed carry. Once again - thank you for opening my eyes. I'll continue to look at the above makers to see what seems to fit best. Too bad there is no way to 'try before you buy' these things as I'm not really sure what will or won't work. (And they definately aren't as cheap as the Fobus to experiment with!)

As for the encouragement to get my CCW - I appreciate that. Actually I am commited at this point - it is just a matter of finding a class and signing up. My wife is also very commited (she'll be taking the class with me) and I don't think she would let me off the hook even if I wanted to. :D Also on the todo list is to join the NRA and/or the Second Amendmant Foundation.

Now, off to convince the wife that we need more guns.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

Joe.. BTW.welcome to the Forum....glad to see you're jumping in and getting your feet wet. Check out the pics of the holsters the guys, AND Ladies, have shown you on here. LOTS of good info, and the Folks here are good people to hang with. One word of advice is to NEVER get rid of your leather. You never know when you'll find another gun you happened to trade in, for one you can't do without, and especially if it fits the holster you already have for it. been there, done it plenty of times LOL...

OD*
    Joe,

You have received some excellent advice here and I'll only add this, I've carried a full size 1911 (and Officers ACP & Commanders) for nearly 25yrs on a CCW, there is NO, ONE perfect holster. You will have a drawer full in time, there are many cases were one style may not fit the particular circumstances. Restating what has been said before, buy quality the first time, when it's comes to your life, cheap is too expensive.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

DC Founder
    Just about all I carry is a 5" 1911. Holster is everything in concealing a 1911, but, personally, I find it to the easiest to hide of any full size gun because of the thin flat profile. I have a Brommeland MaxCon IV for IWB and an Andrews Hybrid OWB. Both conceal VERY well. And remember, the secret to concealing a 1911 is getting the proper cant in the position of the gun.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    For that reason I may buy a DA/SA automatic or even a revolver until I have a few more years with the 'ol 1911 before I consider carrying it. And just to clarify, I am personally am not worried about C&L as I understand this was how the gun was designed to be carried. However, many people more experienced that I have expressed concern with this setup, and that makes me doubt its inherent safety.
    Why not just practice, practice, and practice some more with your 1911 until everything becomes second nature?

Why do you doubt its safety? What exactly is the concern these people have?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye680
    Why not just practice, practice, and practice some more with your 1911 until everything becomes second nature?

Why do you doubt its safety? What exactly is the concern these people have?
    I'm still not decided and I may do just that. I have been practicing as much as possible and reading as much as possible. I really like the 1911 over all other autoloaders I've shot. It naturally points in my hand, is very controllable, and reliably eats everything I put in it from FMJ to HP (I had a couple of stovepipes early on but I think they were my fault. I have not had any such FTE's since and no FTF's in 1K rounds).

Are there legal implications to be considered? I know this is taking the thread a bit off topic - maybe I should start a new one. But I have heard that a single action trigger can be a liability in a courtroom (if the prosecution is trying to prove negligence in a self-defense shooting).

Again - thanks for all the help and great feedback.

Welcome !

You shouldn't have any problems with a full size 1911. I've been (legally) carrying some form of 1911 for a little over ten years - started with a full size, stepped down to a commander, now down to a compact. Like everyone that have posted thus far, the secret is a QUALITY holster and fitted belt. Please don't make the same mistake that sooooo many of has made by getting a great weapon, then buying a cheap, slipshod holster. That's why God made holster boxes. There are quality holster makers on this forum, and when it is time for the belt, Brommeland holsters will do backflips for the opportunity to make you a belt. He loves the task . Go for the CCW - you're lucky to have your wife involved in the process . Good luck - fun times are ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    I'm still not decided and I may do just that. I have been practicing as much as possible and reading as much as possible. I really like the 1911 over all other autoloaders I've shot. It naturally points in my hand, is very controllable, and reliably eats everything I put in it from FMJ to HP (I had a couple of stovepipes early on but I think they were my fault. I have not had any such FTE's since and no FTF's in 1K rounds).

Are there legal implications to be considered? I know this is taking the thread a bit off topic - maybe I should start a new one. But I have heard that a single action trigger can be a liability in a courtroom (if the prosecution is trying to prove negligence in a self-defense shooting).

Again - thanks for all the help and great feedback.
    Those are the reasons I like the 1911. Plus you can by all kinds of different parts to customize it if you are into that type of thing. Stick to the 1911. I think you will be happy you did.

I would not think that there would be any legal implications. A justified shooting is a justified shooting. I know a lot of people will argue that but I don't think that legally comes into play.

On another note, check out http://1911forum.com/
    Believe me, I am not advertising for another forum, but it is a good site to read up on the 1911. I use that site for a reference but hang out here the most. This is the best forum that I have found. It is also the best moderated.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye680
    On another note, check out http://1911forum.com/
    Believe me, I am not advertising for another forum, but it is a good site to read up on the 1911. I use that site for a reference but hang out here the most. This is the best forum that I have found. It is also the best moderated.
    I second the above. The 1911 forum is a good source for info. specific to your chosen equipment. That's where I spent most of my forum time until I discovered this forum.

It's great (for both of you) that your wife is interested.

Keep those posts coming.

SSKC

ill third that and there are 2 more i use for ref which are

http://forum.m1911.org/

and

http://www.1911og.org/forum/vbindex.php

What the hell....

I've got a Sparks Watch Six for the full size gov't model sitting here.

Joe, when you and Mrs. Joe sign up for the course, let me know and it's yours.

I must be :1saufen:

Senior Moderator
    I just happen to be carrying my full size 1911 today instead of my regular carry gun. I do like 1911s and have no problem concealing them. Today it's in a Fist Inc #19 very thin IWB Kydex holster. A holster just can't get any thinner.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchy wilson
    I've got a Sparks Watch Six for the full size gov't model sitting here.

Joe, when you and Mrs. Joe sign up for the course, let me know and it's yours.
    Now, that's an offer you shouldn't refuse. Put me on your Christmas list will ya, Scratchy!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Condition one and only

I carry a full-size Springfield Loaded 1911A1. It is my carry gun. I also have a Makarov and a 642 revolver, but those are used only when I cannot realistically take the 1911. And the revolver is usually a Backup gun for the 1911.
    The 1911 is a fine gun for carry. It's thin profile allows for a suprising concealability considering the overall size. What everyone says about the holster is dead on balls accurate. I have a Fobus, but it is strictly for when I am not worried about concealment, I have an IWB, which I can wear under a t-shirt without problems.
    The single action is not, IMHO, an extra liability with a pistol. The 1911 also has a grip safety and an external safety. The fact of the matter is that assuming that a DA pistol has an external safety, it is no less dangerous than a 1911. The reason that people think it is less safe is because of the lighter trigger pull. BULL$H00T! That is expecting the pistol to account for operator error.
    The most important safety feature of any gun resides between the ears of the operator.
    Now, personally, I think a commander size 1911 would be superior for CCW than a government length, but my finances do not allow me the luxury of buying another and getting it up to my desired preferences.

Welcome to the Forum, and enjoy your shooting.
    Last edited by QKShooter; July 9th, 2005 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Eliminate the BullS_ _ T
    "You are what you do when it counts."
    "The secret to long life...is gunsights!"
    Bloodletting

Thumbs up I've decided - thanks!

Well, after doing some soul searching and carefully considering all of the advice, facts, and information, I've decided to give carrying the 1911 a try. I have been looking at several IWB holsters and this in and of itself creates a whole new dilemma - but that's another thread (can you tell I'm slow to make decisions?)

Just to give some insight into why I made the decision (and maybe help anyone else out in this same quandary) I've listed the reasons I was hesitant to even try it in the first place and why I eventually decided they were not good reasons (for me).

* Concealability: I just wasn't convinced that I could conceal a 5" service pistol. But I am a pretty big guy and after doing some experimenting with different positions / different cants IWB, I think this is doable. (Still to find out). Also based on the number of folks on this board who do it successfuly every day - I at least know it's possible.

* Comfort: I couldn't imagine carrying this thing could be comfortable. But again, after experimenting with just tucking it into my belt, I found a few positions I don't think would be too bad. Plus, some of the holster reviews indicate that this is a much more accomplishable task with a fine, custom made IWB holster. The weight doesn't really bother me and honestly I think once I get used to a couple of pounds on my side, I'll probably feel more UNcomfortable when it's NOT there.

* Safety: Cocked and Locked. I am convinced that a C&L 1911 handled in the proper way is just as safe as any other chambered gun. Three things must happen for the weapon to discharge: The grip safety must be depressed, the slide safety must be disengaged, and the trigger must be pulled. Hard to imagine that things can go wrong as long as you follow the rules of gun safety. I realize now the concern with C&L is not a logical one, but an emotional one - the programmed emotional response to the sight of a cocked hammer.

* Legal Liability: Cocked and Locked again. This is one thing I'm still not entirely convinced isn't a good reason. The argument is that if in the unfortunate incident you were forced to shoot someone in self defense, the light single action trigger is a point for the prosecution to argue negligent discharge - manslaughter essentially. While this makes sense and is concerning, I have never heard of a case (and to my knowledge no one has been able to bring up a case) where the single action trigger was THE reason for a conviction of manslaughter in a self defense shooting. Regardless, it's still a good point. After much soul searching, I came to the conclusion that (for me) if the case ever arose that I would need to defend my LIFE and/or the LIVES of my loved ones by shooting someone - then legal ramifications be damned. Honestly - legalities will be the last thing I worry about when it comes to a life or death decision.

Overall I love this gun. I shoot it a lot (as fast as I can handload with a single stage press). It's not a target pistol (small sights) and it isn't meant to look pretty (although it still does to me ). But it is 100% reliable, a natural pointer, and rugged. Confidence is my main motivation here. If ever the moment of truth came, I'm going to feel a lot more confident with a 230 grain slug of jacketed lead in the chamber. It feels good to have made this decision and I thank everyone for the valuable advice and experience.

Once I get a holster and we get our CCW, I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Scratchy - Thank you very much for the offer (I sent you a PM), that is a very nice holster indeed. You must be either a saint or :1saufen: (or both!).

Joe

:bogenschu

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links