Full Size 1911 suitable? - Page 3

Full Size 1911 suitable?

This is a discussion on Full Size 1911 suitable? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One other thing I don't remember if it was mentioned: Don't cheese out on a gunbelt! I'd recommend a 'double thickness' from one of the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

PM returned

One other thing I don't remember if it was mentioned: Don't cheese out on a gunbelt! I'd recommend a 'double thickness' from one of the custom makers listed earlier. I have a Galco and a Wilson(RafterS?) that are ok(the Wilson is a sharkskin that was awesome when new, but is now on the soft side and doesn't support as well as it did). Mitch Rosen, on the other hand, is the 'double thick' variety and a little on the heavy/bulky side, but is like a steel girder around your waist.
    Last edited by scratchy wilson; July 10th, 2005 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    And just to clarify, I am personally am not worried about C&L as I understand this was how the gun was designed to be carried. However, many people more experienced that I have expressed concern with this setup, and that makes me doubt its inherent safety.
    A lot of "experianced shooters" tend to talk out of their...

I personally see no advantage to a Commander, the hardest part of the pitol to conceal is the grip. My 4" kimber tends to pinch my butt if I sit down a certain way, something my 5" never does.

Both my 5" and 4" Kimbers are carried in Milt Sparks Summer Special IIs, spare mag in my weak side pocket, and my "gun belt" was purchased at the Arts and Crafts Fair in Burnsville NC about ten years ago for about ten bucks...

I've decided to give carrying the 1911 a try....The weight doesn't really bother me and honestly I think once I get used to a couple of pounds on my side, I'll probably feel more UNcomfortable when it's NOT there.
    Ah-HA! Now yer talkin'!

Sounds like you have put some good thought into this. Just remember, it doesn't matter what works for any of us, we're just trying to help. It's what works for you that counts, so don't be afraid to go to plan B if A doesn't work after a reasonable trial period.

Good luck and stay safe.

SSKC

Senior Moderator
    ...* Comfort: I couldn't imagine carrying this thing could be comfortable. But again, after experimenting with just tucking it into my belt, I found a few positions I don't think would be too bad. Plus, some of the holster reviews indicate that this is a much more accomplishable task with a fine, custom made IWB holster. The weight doesn't really bother me and honestly I think once I get used to a couple of pounds on my side, I'll probably feel more UNcomfortable when it's NOT there...
    Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch, says, "Carrying a gun is supposed to be a comfort, not comfortable." - or something pretty close to that.

Thumbs up Full Size 1911 is fine

First time poster - I've been reading for about a week now and have to say the information I've found here is priceless.

I am thinking about applying for a CCW permit, but I'm not sure if my current handgun is suitable for concealed carry. It is a .45 Springfield GI 1911, full size. Experimenting, I picked up a Fobus OWB holster and while the weight does not bother me, the gun prints very badly when wearing a t-shirt. Some folks have told me that a full size 1911 is not a suitable carry weapon due to its size and need to be carried C&L, and that I should look at other options. I don't have any problem with this as I have only been shooting seriously for a couple of months, but I really do like the 1911.

Does anyone have experience on this? Also, for anyone who may carry a full size 1911 on a daily basis, what is a comfortable and concealable setup?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Joe
    I carried a Remington Rand 1911 G.I. model as my only carry weapon for almost ten years. My FAV holster during that period was the Milt Sparks Summer Special and it disappeared behind my right hip, even with a shirt worn over it. Back then I wasn't really a BIG guy, either...well not as big as I am now! LOL My poor old "love handles" have turned into "LIFTING BARS!"

But the fact remains that "Old SLAB SIDES" is almost perfect as a carry firearm because of the power factor coupled with superb concealability.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I just wanted to give everyone an update. I now have a Milt Sparks IWB holster (many thanks to Scratchy Wilson) and have been wearing it around the house on weekends and evenings. I don't have my CCW yet (Yes, Yes - I'm signed up for training!!), but I think this setup will do very well. I still do not have a gun belt, but even with a thick $20 Carhart belt, the gun rides well and is very concealable. I am still going to buy the gun belt - I just need to round up the dough.

As folks have pointed out, it took some experimentation playing with different positions on the hip. For me, directly at 3:00 strong side works very well for me. While gun isn't uncomfortable, it's definitely 'there'. I have done some fairly strenuous chores - splitting wood, mowing grass, weed eating, etc. in hot humid weather with only a t-shirt. I have my wife on 'lookout' - she tries to spot the gun and gives me a number on a 1-10 scale when she does (1 being nothing visible, 5 being something is there but not sure what it is and 10 being you're wearing a gun you dolt and it's a Springfield 1911M1A.) And yes... I am a geek. But at least she indulges me. :) So far the only time I have been busted by the wife is when chopping wood. But I'll take that.

There is one problem with the setup and that is Ohio's idiotic CCW law that you can't conceal in a vehicle. The holster isn't easy to put on and I can't leave the holster on without the gun in it. Will have to figure out how I'll work that one out - may be a different question for another thread.

I'd like to wear this a few more weeks and then I'll give a full review on the holster (Mr. Scratchy is twisting my arm on this one... but I figure it's the least I can do).

Again, a heart-felt thank you for all of the great advice and support.

Joe

Well i carry my xd 9 in a fist iwb and mine feels really good carrying conceled, but you haft to find what works for you.

Cool 1911 concealed carry

I for one use a full size 1911 for a concealed carry. I have a fanny pack with a built in holster, it also carries a second mag, and with room for a wallet, change ect. it does a great job of hiding the outline.

First time poster - I've been reading for about a week now and have to say the information I've found here is priceless.

I am thinking about applying for a CCW permit, but I'm not sure if my current handgun is suitable for concealed carry. It is a .45 Springfield GI 1911, full size. Experimenting, I picked up a Fobus OWB holster and while the weight does not bother me, the gun prints very badly when wearing a t-shirt. Some folks have told me that a full size 1911 is not a suitable carry weapon due to its size and need to be carried C&L, and that I should look at other options. I don't have any problem with this as I have only been shooting seriously for a couple of months, but I really do like the 1911.

Does anyone have experience on this? Also, for anyone who may carry a full size 1911 on a daily basis, what is a comfortable and concealable setup?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Joe

There is one problem with the setup and that is Ohio's idiotic CCW law that you can't conceal in a vehicle. The holster isn't easy to put on and I can't leave the holster on without the gun in it.
    Why can't you leave the holster on without the weapon in it? If it collapses when the pistol is not there, you may want to look of another holster.

I use a Ted Blocker IWB leather holster when carrying by Browning HP, and it retains it's shape without the pistol.

For quick trips around town, I just tuck my shirt behind the grip to make it visible (3 O'Clock position with a forward cant). If I'm on a long trip on the interstate (i.e. domain of the Ohio State Patrol) I have a tanker rig I throw on and transfer the pistol back and forth as needed.

Hopefully one of the bills in the legislature will make it through and we can get rid of this nonsense.

Good luck in your class and have fun!
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

that's easy

Milt sparks Summer Special IWB. Printing problem over. Try wearing more bulk than a t shirt. Yea I know,,,It's hot. deal w/ it

DCKelley,

The Milt Sparks Watch Six holster that I received from Scratchy works great and conceals with no printing under a light t-shirt. I believe it lays a little flatter and spreads the weight a bit more evenly over the belt than a summer special would.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Welcome and...

ABSOLUTELY! I carry a full size 1911 on a daily basis and never have any issues with it. Obviously if you're headed to the beach or something like that you may need to use a smaller gun. But other than that dress for your gun, don't change to a gun you're not comfortable with.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

cjm,

Thanks for the encouragement. Luckily I decided to try it and found it quite doable. However, I do find that it's a hard 'all the time' carry gun. I have been looking at some alternatives, not to replace the 1911 but to substitute for it on occasions where i just don't feel like lugging around 15 pounds of steel on my side. :) Ok, to be completely honest it's just another excuse to buy more guns...

1911 Every day

I carry a 1911 every day. Get a holster AND belt that will allow you to carry comfortably. I have a Brommeland Max-Con V that is perfect for me. Superior construction and perfectly designed and constructed. I use a high quality 1 1/2" gun belt made by rafter S leather. Best investment I ever made. Spend the $$ and get a product that actually works.

Irighti
    "Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength. Industry and determination can do anything that genius and advantage can do, and many things that they cannot" TR

Well, someone's gonna hate me for this, but I carry a Firestorm Compact Duotone in .45. It's basically a Spanish Commander size 1911. I carry it Condition 1, in a.....Fobus holster.

It's usually under an un-tucked T-shirt, and it does not print. I think a person's size has a lot to do with how much a pistol will print.

As for whether or not to carry it C&L, I think anyone who doesn't, is putting their life in jeopardy.

But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Al Lowe; January 14th, 2006 at 08:01 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links