Full Size 1911 suitable?

This is a discussion on Full Size 1911 suitable? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry my spring field 1911 all the time and I use a plain old Uncle Mikes "Side Kick " and love it. They are ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Full Size 1911 suitable?

I carry my spring field 1911 all the time and I use a plain old Uncle Mikes "Side Kick " and love it. They are cheap but I find it really comfortable.
    CCW is not only a right its a responsability.

Joe

2. Remove Ads

[QUOTE=joe/OH]First time poster - I've been reading for about a week now and have to say the information I've found here is priceless.

I am thinking about applying for a CCW permit, but I'm not sure if my current handgun is suitable for concealed carry. It is a .45 Springfield GI 1911, full size. Experimenting, I picked up a Fobus OWB holster and while the weight does not bother me, the gun prints very badly when wearing a t-shirt.

Joe,
    I also live in Ohio and I urge you to look into TDI (Tactical Defense Institute) the training is great! Dave Spalding does the CCW, he is very good. Your 1911 is fine and I know you have alot of good advice from everyone here. I prefer the Springfield Champion for concealability. Make sure you get a great belt and holster, invest and you won't be disappointed.
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    I'm not sure if my current handgun is suitable for concealed carry. It is a .45 Springfield GI 1911
    although i currently prefer my glock 31 for daily carry, ive carried springfield 1911s for most of my adult life. there is no reason why you cant carry a 1911 reasonably well. any full size weapon will print, but in time youll learn to dress around it. a 1911 will print more than a ppk, and less than a fullsize glock. the best way ive found to wear a 1911 for deep cover is IWB. i can wear a 1911 IWB much easier than a glock or my USP.

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    many people more experienced that I have expressed concern with this setup
    these people are ignorant to 1911 carry. any concerns in carrying a 1911 condition 1 may apply to the shooter, but definately not to the weapon. i find 1911 condition 1 carry to be safer than carrying my glock chambered......at least when i holster my 1911 i dont have to double check to make sure there are no straps or shirt tails that might get into the trigger gaurd because condition 1 involves an engaged thumb safety making an AD impossible. if the shooter doesnt have the sense to engage the thumb safety its another matter entirely, and at that point becomes "condition 0" anyway.
    from the shooters viewpoint, it takes a little getting used to condition 1 carry.....but its worth the time and practice because this is the safest and most efficient way to carry a 1911.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links