Full Size 1911 suitable?

This is a discussion on Full Size 1911 suitable? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First time poster - I've been reading for about a week now and have to say the information I've found here is priceless. I am ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full Size 1911 suitable?

Full Size 1911 suitable?

First time poster - I've been reading for about a week now and have to say the information I've found here is priceless.

I am thinking about applying for a CCW permit, but I'm not sure if my current handgun is suitable for concealed carry. It is a .45 Springfield GI 1911, full size. Experimenting, I picked up a Fobus OWB holster and while the weight does not bother me, the gun prints very badly when wearing a t-shirt. Some folks have told me that a full size 1911 is not a suitable carry weapon due to its size and need to be carried C&L, and that I should look at other options. I don't have any problem with this as I have only been shooting seriously for a couple of months, but I really do like the 1911.

Does anyone have experience on this? Also, for anyone who may carry a full size 1911 on a daily basis, what is a comfortable and concealable setup?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Joe

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Fobus

Wrong Holster. I really Do Not Like Fobus Holsters AT ALL.
    They are OK for open carry...I guess.
    They usually print VERY BADLY because they just do not pull in close enough.
    On the plus side they are not super expensive so you won't feel too bad when you pitch it into the trash can.

Your holster is your problem and not your firearm.

And...please don't just think about getting your license to carry...go and get it. You will be so glad that you made the decision to carry.

i carry a SW1911SC all the time and the fact that it's C&L is not a problem for me. and since a 1911 is thin i have no problem concealing it in a IWB holster under a t-shirt.

Administrator

Shop around & look at

Del Fatti - Gary Brommeland - Alessi - Sparks - Larsen
    Any holsters by any of the above makers will work better for you.

Go to Matt Del Fatti Leather Site & look through his Gallery Of Holsters.
    Click around on his site & try to decide what type of holster will work out best for you. It's a very informative site. You can determine the type of rake you'll want or need. Also click on "Things To Consider...."
    Here is the link to Matts Site.
    CLICK HERE TO SEE HOLSTERS THAT WILL MAKE YOU CRY ~ THEY ARE SO GREAT!

CLICK HERE FOR TOTALLY AMAZING GARY BROMMELAND HOLSTERS

CLICK HERE FOR AWESOME FUNCTIONAL BEAUTIFUL LEATHER
    Last edited by QKShooter; July 6th, 2005 at 07:16 PM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Five points I'd like to make:

1. Get your permit and take it seriously. You aren't magically going to become a mall ninja over night but getting my carry permit is one of the best things I ever did for myself. It honestly has made me a better person in the process. I had to go from casual plinker to someone who spends time practicing, trying new things, and learning how to better use a modern firearm and I'm still not happy with my own ability. Take it one step at time.

2. The gun you are considering is indeed suitable for the task. It is of sufficient caliber and it is a quality firearm that can be entrusted with actual combat. Many, many people carry a very similar firearm.

3. The way you plan to carry makes a huge difference. Everyone I've encountered that successfully CCW's such a gun uses a custom made holster in OWB strong side carry. If you don't think you could carry this way most of the time, then maybe you should look at other options.

4. What you like to horde, shoot, and crank away with may not necessarily be what you like to carry. I carry two guns I don't "like" very much at all and if I were in a different situation I'd carry something totally different. I tried real hard to adapt my favorite firing platform to my CCW needs and it just wasn't within reason to do so.

5. I too don't relish the idea of C&L. After considering other things I'm afraid of however I discovered that actually doing what I'm afraid of has cured my fears in the past. What I've done is I've started getting used to a single action pistol which actually does rest a cocked action on a loaded chamber, but it doesn't depend on an external safety. I've got another gun with an external safety I'm starting to get used to again. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to use both features at once.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    For the most part I agree with QKShooter. I have a Fobus for my 1911(Colt 5") but I only use it for working or ATVing around the hunting club and we don't care who knows that we carry up there. They are cheep. My weapon fits snug in it. They are impervious to the elements.They are sweat proof. And------ they print like a SOB !! You have a heck of alot of options for your 1911. I would reccommend that you take your time,find a carry system that you like,and plan to spend $50-$150 on it. Remember the carry system could save, or cost you, your life. Their are tons of 1911 guys and gals here, so you will recieve tons of reccomendations. Good Luck.----------

Welcome. I think what you can carry successfully depends on a lot of factors: your size and shape, your preferred carry rig, your preferred weapon, your choice of clothing, where you are going to carry, why, etc.

I am 6'6", 240 lbs. Not what I would call an athlete, but not in bad shape, either. I carry a SIG P226ST (a full-size service pistol, wider than your average 1911) with no problem, and have never had a problem.

Your problems printing may only indicate that the Fobus OWB holster is not an optimal choice for your style of dress. You might do better with a tuckable IWB. Or you might do better not trying to conceal your OWB under a T-shirt.

People successfully carry full-size service pistols concealed, everyday. People successfully carry 1911's cocked and locked, everyday, and have for decades. Your carry weapon is a tool for self-defense. As with any tool, you must practice with it to become proficient. You should choose the best tool for the job, the one that works best for you, and use it well. Pick what you shoot best. If that is a 1911, great. Learn how to use it responsibly and expertly.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I occasionally carry the same gun in a Tucker Gunleather IWB concealable holster. I say occasionally because the weight does get to me after carrying all day long. It can be done however and Tucker has a great holster for that gun.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

What Euc and QK said.

If you're not comfortable with C&L then buy something else or get some training/practise till you are. Lots of options, but don't take what other people tell you as the truth, carrying concealed is a very personal thing, and it will take you some time to find out what works best for you.
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

I carry aeither a 1911 5" springer loaded or a smith 1911sc 4 1/4" in a cozy partner from desantis i highly recommend it

Smile

I worked today.

In a place where people bump into each other, and carried two guns. One a Commander (3/4" shorter than a GM) could have been a GM, carried in a Sparks summer special [IWB], and a 642 in a Null pocket hoster. Wore shorts and extra large golf shirt. I am 6' and 165Lbs.

When I left work, put on third gun, S&W 696 carried cross draw OWB in a Hume JIT.
    Went direct to local hospitol to help help certify staff people in CPR.

This is a no carry place, but no one ever has tumbled to my carry guns. Hospitol is guarded by unarmed rent a cops. Really makes one feel secure
    :( .

Pretty simple really, learn to dress around the gun. Learn your gun. Buy good holsters.
    Good belts.

Good luck, and remember, carrying a gun is work, but the peace of mind is well worth it to me.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Administrator

Desantis ~ Galco ~ SafariLand & Others

All have good holsters.
    I shoulder carried in a Galco for a long time until I discovered Alessi.
    TUCKER holsters are great.

My bone to pick is really with Fobus.
    My personal opinion is that they are awful for concealed carry.
    Under a winter coat maybe...or under a long heavy "Shoot Me First" vest ~ Fobus would be OK but, I still would not want one.

As you all might already know...I am HIGHLY attracted to the "Work Of Leather Art" Holsters crafted by the Supreme Makers.

HorseShoe leather is great. Heck there are lots of fantastic makers.

A VERY GOOD ADDITIONAL REASON to buy from Brommeland, Larsen & DEL FATTI is that they are forum members who just also happen to make the very best holsters. THAT should tell you something about our forum too!

A great holster and (ALSO IMPORTANT) a great gun belt are worth every penny that you'll spend on them.
    Last edited by QKShooter; July 7th, 2005 at 09:05 AM. Reason: add - Tucker

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    As others have said, the 1911 is just fine as a carry gun. You just need to find the right holster for you. The good news is that there are a tremendous amount of holster makers out there for the 1911 and many styles from which to choose.

The list above are some of the finest, and several of those listed are members of this forum, and all are very good about answering questions.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    I carry aeither a 1911 5" springer loaded or a smith 1911sc 4 1/4" in a cozy partner from desantis i highly recommend it
    Ditto on what Bud has said. I also carry a Combat Commander, and various other types of handguns. What is most important is the type of holster you're going to use with the weapon. There are so many quality holsters out there, that you can rationally make a good choice. Fobus holsters are ok, BUT they're not known for hiding your shootin irons.

Welcome aboard!

Joe/OH,

Welcome, sir! You will find a bunch of knowledgeable and courteous folks here.

I used to carry a Commander-size 1911. I think it is an excellent carry gun, provided that you are competent with it, as you must be with any carry weapon. As has been mentioned, a quality belt and holster makes a world of difference. Don't skimp in this area. I used a Milt Sparks HR-LTD, but there are many quality choices available.

Welcome to the forum, and to the band of responsible, armed citizens. Be safe.

SSKC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links