EMP Flush Magazine

EMP Flush Magazine

This is a discussion on EMP Flush Magazine within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the new Springfield EMP is a great looking 1911 but did not like the way the magazine extended beyond the grip. I contacted ...

EMP Flush Magazine

I think the new Springfield EMP is a great looking 1911 but did not like the way the magazine extended beyond the grip. I contacted Springfield and Mecgar and neither said they offered a flush fit magazine for the EMP. So, I made one myself.

I modified a standard EMP magazine to fit flush with the grip. The modified magazine holds 8 rounds rather than the standard 9 rounds. The flush magazine uses the standard spring and follower. An inspection and disassembly hole was also added. The hole indicates when 8 rounds are loaded. It is also used to remove the magazine follower and spring for cleaning the magazine. Load about 6 dummy rounds in the magazine and then insert a pin through the hole to retain the spring in a compressed state. Remove the dummy rounds and the follower can be removed just by shaking the magazine upside down. Remove the pin and catch the spring since it will be under tension. To re-assemble, insert the spring (be sure the loop portion of the spring is toward the front of the magazine), compress it and insert the pin. Then, insert the follower. The follower must fit freely. Again load about 6 dummy rounds so you can feel the spring is being compressed. Remove the pin. Remove the dummy rounds.

The proper length to shorten the magazine is easy to mark. With the standard magazine floorplate assembled, scribe a line on the magazine around 3 sides of the floorplate. This line will indicate where the magazine is shortened to. Cut to these lines carefully. I used a milling machine. Be sure to cut the recess on the front of the magazine too, as the new floorplate will rest on this.

Use 0.090 stainless steel for the new floorplate. You can use the standard interior floorplate as a pattern but be sure to allow extra length for the rounded front portion to extend slightly beyond the front of the grip. Look at a standard flush fit magazine of a 45 ACP 1911 for an example.

Fit the new floorplate to the shortened magazine and clamp in position. Weld in four places. Small tack welds are all that is needed. I MIG welded mine (stainless steel wire). TIG welding would be better. File the welds flush. Blend and polish the welds.

For me, the flush fit magazine looks significantly better and conceals better. It is worth the loss of one round capacity. The magazine functions fine. The slightly shortened grip (less the magazine extended floorplate) does not bother my grip. It may for someone with large hands. I carry the standard 9 round magazine as a spare. Try the modification as a winter project.

FJC
    Holy cow, nice work there.

I really wish Springfield would offer these.
    --FJC

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    that is incredabily sexy as it is useful. Especially if you decide to pocket carry (no more mag hangups) Good work on that
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

You are 100% correct that Springfield should offer a flush mag. I too called them about this. May I suggest that you begin manufacturing them for sale. I would suspect that you would have a significant business. But thanks for the report. Maybe I can find someone who will make some for me.

very very nice work

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Westhope, what is that on the front strap of the grip? Is it skateboard tape? And I agree with the others, great job on the MAG!!

God Bless
    Gideon

That is excellent work. Had Springfield released the EMP with flush magazines I would have bought one already.

You may have found your niche. Keep up the good work.
    BTW... that's a fine looking weapon.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Very nice I did this same thing early this summer and I love it. That is top notch work.

Randy

Gideon:

The tape on the front of the grip is a 3M friction tape. I think skate board tape is too abrasive. The key to keep the tape sticking is the cleaning of the surface before applying the tape. I clean the surface several times with lacquer thinner before applying the tape. I also heat the tape with a heat gun to soften it so the tape conforms to the shape easier. I have done this to several 1911's that did not have checkering on the front of the grip. After several years of use and cleaning, none of them have loosened. For the cost of the EMP it should have come with front strap checkering.

Thank you all for the complements. I sent the same photos to Springfield. They thanked me and forwarded the photos to their market research.

In my opinion; the EMP should come with 1 flush 8 round magazine, and 2 of the extended 9 round magazines.
    Last edited by westhope; November 16th, 2007 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling correction

You should send the pics to springfield.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

member: NRA, SAF, GOA, USCCA
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Amazing how much smaller the gun looks with just that bit of mag trimmed. Good work.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Nice work. I had a gentleman in CA make 2 flush ones for my 2 emp's. They really help with concealment and do look much better in the gun. You did a very nice job and I hope Springfield gives you a call about possibly manufacturing these.
    May the name of Christ be exalted in all things,
    Colleene Barnett
    Keeping the Piece: Ladies Only Concealed Carry and Basic Pistol Training
    www.KeepingthePiece.com
    Looking for a clever gift for the lady shooters in your life?
    http://www.zazzle.com/keepingthepiec...51718878453391

Modifying EMP Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by westhope View Post
    Gideon:

The tape on the front of the grip is a 3M friction tape. I think skate board tape is too abrasive. The key to keep the tape sticking is the cleaning of the surface before applying the tape. I clean the surface several times with lacquer thinner before applying the tape. I also heat the tape with a heat gun to soften it so the tape conforms to the shape easier. I have done this to several 1911's that did not have checkering on the front of the grip. After several years of use and cleaning, none of them have loosened. For the cost of the EMP it should have come with front strap checkering.

Thank you all for the complements. I sent the same photos to Springfield. They thanked me and forwarded the photos to their market research.

In my opinion; the EMP should come with 1 flush 8 round magazine, and 2 of the extended 9 round magazines.

Can you modify two or me for a price, I can ship you two.

Links