cocked and locked 1911: dangerous?

This is a discussion on cocked and locked 1911: dangerous? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Herknav OD, I apologize. I should have said "Retired Ranger Lee Young claims to have said..." I found this on the Texas ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: cocked and locked 1911: dangerous?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    OD,

I apologize. I should have said "Retired Ranger Lee Young claims to have said..." I found this on the Texas Ranger Dispatch magazine's website.

http://www.texasranger.org/dispatch/..._dangerous.htm

I apologize if I'm spreading bad info. I wasn't there, so I'm not sure who really said it. It's entirely possible he heard it from Miller and repeated it. Heck, they may have both gotten it from Frank Hamer. FWIW, the sightm1911.org attributes it to Miller. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Cheers,
    Herk
    No need to Sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

2. Remove Ads

I have never carried my 1911 in any other condition but C&L. I prefer to carry C&L than carrying a striker fired "safe-action" style pistol with no external safety. However, I am comfortable with either and carry both.

-RD62

I agree with all of the above: C&L is perfectly fine. I carried a 9mm Hi Power this way for a while. As someone else pointed out, the Glock carries pretty much carries the same way except it has the little trigger safety instead of a frame safety. Of course, the operator needs to be well-versed in the pistol's manual of arms. Also, he or she should practice on a regular basis to keep in tune with the mechanism, but this part is true of any firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
    The only down side of cocked and locked for me is racking the slide to get the round out when unloading the gun. but becomes second nature after awhile.
    Ummm and how do you get the round out of other autoloaders without racking the slide when you are unloading the gun???

VIP Member
    Maybe he is alluding to the fact that you must disengage the thumb safety in order to rack the slide?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I was an auxiliary deputy back in the 70’s and while a 45 was not standard issue almost everyone in the department carried one.

Allot of the uniformed deputy sheriffs carried the 1911 or combat commander C&L. But, I’ll have to say it always gave me the willies, and while I also carried a Colt combat commander I never did carry it C&L.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Maybe he is alluding to the fact that you must disengage the thumb safety in order to rack the slide?
    I figured same.

The method for this is to grasp the gun loosely so as to release pressure on the grip safety _and_ to keep ones finger out of the trigger guard area (!).
    Do either of these and one will be okay. Apply both and you're guaranteed to have no issues.

IMHO this whole fear of C&L thing is a matter of perception (hammer back OMG gun go boom!) and lack of understanding of how the tool functions at a mechanical level, and does not.
    When I intro people to 1911s the first thing I do is with an emptied gun and clear mag show them how the multiple safety components function mechanically, and that with the hammer back the gun will not go BOOM unless the operator does something to make it so. On a properly teched and functioning 1911 that is of course.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

OD*
    If your finger is off the trigger, it doesn't matter if the grip safety is depressed, it only blocks trigger movement. IF, by chance you disengage the thumb safety and the hammer falls, you have a hammer hook/sear engagement problem, blocking the trigger with the grip safety won't help you.

(Pictures courtesy of John Holbrook)

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Could be but the SA 1911 isn't the only gun that uses that type of safety, and you need to keep your finger off the trigger with any gun that has one in the pipe if you don't want it to go bang (clearing the weapon or not)

Great Pics OD

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    A lot of the uniformed deputy sheriffs carried the 1911 or combat commander C&L. Iíll have to say it always gave me the willies, and while I also carried a Colt combat commander I never did carry it C&L.
    So how did you carry it?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Great Pics OD
    You're welcome Sir.

John Holbrook owns that pistol, he has the neatest toys.

I would Dig one like that

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Going to the bathroom is dangerous, just ask Elvis's family.

If your'e not comfortable with it then don't carry that way. I have no problem with it myself. Since you have knowledge of the inner workings, you already know guns don't just fire themselves, certain things have to happen before the firing process can occur.

+1 for Condition 1 carry with the 1911. The sheriff's quote doesn't mean the same thing today as it did when it was said..."dangerous" has taken on a whole new meaning. Democrats are dangerous, a cocked and locked 1911 is as safe as you get. JMHO.

Austin

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links