cocked and locked 1911: dangerous?

This is a discussion on cocked and locked 1911: dangerous? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Texas Ranger who coined the phrase regarding "condition one" carry for the 1911 was, in fact, Charlie Miller. My Grandfather, who carried his 1911(he ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: cocked and locked 1911: dangerous?

A historical correction:

The Texas Ranger who coined the phrase regarding "condition one" carry for the 1911 was, in fact, Charlie Miller. My Grandfather, who carried his 1911(he purchased the one he carried in combat in WWII) until his passing in 1993, was a close personal friend of Charlie's and would often quote that particular "Charlieism". I only briefly met him once as a young boy, as he passed away when I was still quite young in 1971. He and my Grandad became lifelong friends when my Grandpa owned a ranch down in South Texas just 30 miles or so from the border near Carrizo Springs. As I remember our single encounter was a barbecue my Grandparents had to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary, which led to some shooting out behind the ranch house while the ladies cleaned up. I saw the 1911 Ranger Miller carried with the rawhide strap tied around the grip safety to disable it that was his trademark - Something you would never see today.

Just some history I thought I would share.......
    OD* and chandlerusm like this.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    If you Google Texas Ranger Charles Edward Miller, I believe you will find he is credited with the "isn't that dangerous?" quote.
    good enough...

I guess like many other famous sayings, this one has just been credited to a number of people. :)
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

OD*
    It seems so, Sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
    The only down side of cocked and locked for me is racking the slide to get the round out when unloading the gun. but becomes second nature after awhile.
    How do you get the round out of other semi autos when they are loaded?

As far as the 1911 and cocked and locked goes there are mechanical safeties on the gun, the gun was designed to be carried that way. It is no more dangerous that carrying a Glock, SIG, HK or any other quality manufactured handgun. One California Police Agency kept records of negligent and accidental discharges for years, the Glock was number 1. All related to the shooter not the gun it self.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

One California Police Agency kept records of negligent and accidental discharges for years, the Glock was number 1. All related to the shooter not the gun it self.

The wire that conects the head to the butt becomes disconnected and they forget to remove the mag/clip (which ever you prefer) before the racking the slide to remove the round from the chamber.

I've had many a pleasant nap on the couch with a cocked and lock 1911 on my hip. I felt much safer that with my new glock!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Guns aren’t toys! They’re for protecting your family, hunting dangerous or delicious animals and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
    -Crusty the Clown

Keep your booger hook off the kill switch 'till you bead the boogeyman!

Condition One 1911

The oldest reference I can find in the Defense Department publications in my library states, "Do not carry the pistol in the holster with the hammer cocked and safety lock on, except in case of an emergency; and when the pistol is so carried, exercise care to see that the safety lock does not become disengaged during removal of the pistol from the holster." "The Bluejacket's Manual, United States Navy, 1918" page 391. This still sounds like good advice to me, and it was the protocol we followed when I was Viet Nam. Condition one in the field, and condition three otherwise...

OD*
    PEF, brocktice, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    We're 3 weeks away from the end of the month, but this post surely has a lock on the "Lazarus" award for this month!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links