Sig Trigger Preference??

Sig Trigger Preference??

This is a discussion on Sig Trigger Preference?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, Have been considering a Sig for my next handgun purchase. Either a 9mm or 45 CCW type weapon. My question is which trigger ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Trigger Preference??

Sig Trigger Preference??

Hi all,

Have been considering a Sig for my next handgun purchase. Either a 9mm or 45 CCW type weapon. My question is which trigger system? I have read about the DAK trigger and I know they also have a single action and (I think) a DA/SA option.

I have SA 1911's, that I like and shoot well, but they are mostly for USPSA and have trigger pulls that are fairly light for carry(IMHO), and the full size 1911 is a bit large as well.

I also have a DA/SA S&W 3913 that I like, but the transition from DA to SA is something I can't seem to get used to.

I mostly carry a Glock 36 or a S&W 642. Both have a consistant trigger pull.

All that said, from the sound of it the DAK trigger appears to be a good choice for a safe, yet smooth and easy to shoot system.

Would like to hear comments from some of the Sig owners regarding trigger preference .

Thanks,

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

I have the DA/SA on all three of mine. I have never personally fired a DAK trigger, but I have heard good things about it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

What is the DAK trigger? Was recently looking at a Sig in the gunstore and it had a DA/SA with a de-cocker (which I like alot).

Administrator
    Shooting Times Article SIG DAK Trigger Click Here.

I'm tired and feeling lazy tonight and don't feel much like typing...this should explain the DAK trigger fer ya.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thank you, QKShooter!

DA/SA will work with practice

At one time I carried a Sig P229 with a DA/SA trigger. The DA pull was long but quite smooth, requiring about 10 pounds of force with no "stacking" or increase of force at the end of the pull. The SA pull was short and required about 4.5 pounds of force, with a fairly sharp break when it triggered.

I practiced with the gun quite a bit, firing 2 shots quickly and going from the DA first shot to the SA second shot. Then I would decock the gun and do the same thing again, watching the target to see where the shots were landing relative to the aiming point. After a while it became quite natural to me, and I found that the DA first shot was as good as the SA second shot. The Sig was fairly heavy, and didn't move much during the longer, heavier first DA pull, so I could keep the sights on the target.

If you practice with this DA/SA Sig trigger system, you will become very good with it and feel confident that you can fire multiple shots accurately with it. The benefit of the system is safety, as the longer, heavier first DA trigger protects you from accidental discharge. That is probably why police and military units select this gun.

Just don't try to reholster the gun without decocking it - that can get you in trouble. You have to practice the decocking as well as the firing.

I have the DAK on my Sig 229 SAS and my wife has it on her 239. The SAS trigger is noticeably lighter and somewhat smoother. Both are good triggers, but the wife recently switched off from the Sig to her Glock because of the Glock's shorter trigger pull. I am not a fan of the DA/SA transition. If going for the DAK trigger I would look at the SAS options out there and compare triggers with the standard DAK trigger. The SAS is more money, so if that is an issue it may not be worth the pound or two difference in pull weight. Good luck.

Assistant Administrator
    I am DA/SA on my three SIG's and yes, practice does make for much greater ease of use, to the point where I can almost ignore the transition. I am well happy with this mode.

However, there is something tempting about DAK because of the consistency and my R9 pocket rocket is that - with a sweet 7# pull and very good to use. I may one day hopefully try someones DAK on a SIG just to know what it is like.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have the 239 sas in 40 cal with DAK. Although I am now used to the DAK on the 239, I would much prefer the DA/SA if I had the choice. The DAK's trigger pull just feels too revolver like for an automatic and although very accurate and concealable,I just do not enjoy firing this handgun. I wanted the sas version and dak was the only way they came ,so i took the plunge. Would I buy another Sig with Dak? No way. Is it a great handgun in every other way?Yes!

DA/SA is my choice.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    If you practice with this DA/SA Sig trigger system, you will become very good with it and feel confident that you can fire multiple shots accurately with it. The benefit of the system is safety, as the longer, heavier first DA trigger protects you from accidental discharge. That is probably why police and military units select this gun.

Just don't try to reholster the gun without decocking it - that can get you in trouble. You have to practice the decocking as well as the firing.
    Points well taken - both you and Chris mentioned the benefit of practice, and I do , mostly with the 1911's and Glock. Once my hand grabs the gun, it knows what to do instinctively.

The thing that has kept me from practicing with and carrying my S&W 3913 is that the safety/decocker works just opposite of the 1911. The Smith safety is up to fire, while the 1911's is down to fire.

I worry that mental error might result in a delay in firing due to practicing with the two different style safetys.

I plan on going to the local gun shop and handling a Sig to see what my first opinion is. Thanks for all the info!

Good Shooting,

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

VIP Member
    The P220 Carry and Revolution Carry (1911 style) both have SA only options with the "down to fire" type safeties. Most other models are available in DA/SA or DAK (or both) - check out their website (http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...x?categoryid=1) for all the options you could want (well, most, anyway).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Classic Sig DA/SA for me, just go put 200 rounds in DA only and you'll get over the long pull. Its heavy but smooth and breaks clean so you don't notice the weight.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

I personally do not own any Sigs (yet!) but had the opportunity to shoot P95Carry's at our shoot. I really liked the DA/SA although it did take some getting use to. I feel confident that with practice, the action would become quite natural.

JD
    Administrator
    Either the DAK or SAO in that order.

I had a P220 SAO, and all I can say is that it needs work, the overall length of pull for the trigger was too long for a SAO gun, and the thumb safety needs to be just a tad larger, but I'm picky about such things.

For all intensive purposes unless I buy an X5, any other Sig I'll buy will be DAK.

I like having as consistant a trigger as possible, and I actually like the DAK beter than the current SAO options, excluding the X5.

Currently the only CCW sized SAO guns from Sig are the 220 and 220 Carry (traditional Sig style) or the GSR Revolution
    family (1911), so unless you settle on a .45 you only have traditional DA/SA, DA/SA SRT, or DAK to worry about.

Again as I prefer a consistent trigger I would take the DAK, that trigger system is pretty darn sweet for a DAO style gun. However I would still have the short trigger installed.

If you do decide to go with DA/SA I'd suggest getting the short reset trigger (comes standard in the Elite line up) the SRT can be ordered and installed in any DA/SA Sig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links