Please read First and then choose!

This is a discussion on Please read First and then choose! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has laid claim to my Taurus 605 and I am carrying my Makarov .380. I like the Mak it is reliable and accurate, ...

View Poll Results: Which would you choose

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • KelTec P11 $303

39 40.21%
  • Taurus PT111 $296.28

19 19.59%
  • Bersa Thunderer UC $295.21

18 18.56%
  • Taurus 605 3" Barrel $288.13

19 19.59%
  • Taurus 65 4" Barrel $298.66

2 2.06%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please read First and then choose!

Senior Moderator

Post Please read First and then choose!

My wife has laid claim to my Taurus 605 and I am carrying my Makarov .380. I like the Mak it is reliable and accurate, but it is a .380 with only an 8 rd capacity. I am selling some of my Cowboy action gear to facilitate the purchase of a new CCW for myself so the price is a factor.

All of the pistols listed are in the same size range as my Mak and will fit in my Smartcarry. The PT111 is thicker, the P11 is actually thinner. I've included the revolvers because I shoot them better and I don't have to buy extra mags with them. I can carry the 605 or my wife can use the 65 as the house gun.

If you can think of a 9 mm in the same price and size range of the ones listed ( and I should consider) let me know please.

We are a 9 mm and .357/.38spl house (I've got plenty of reloading components for those) I don't want to add another caliber.
    Last edited by pgrass101; November 7th, 2007 at 03:17 PM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    If it were me, I'd buy the Keltec, but since you seem to prefer revolvers, the 65 might be a good idea.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Out of the list, I'd personally go for the Keltec P11. However, you mentioned that you shoot revolvers better so I think one of the wheelies would be your best bet.

Senior Moderator
    Why the KelTec guys? I'm considering the autos for increase capicity
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

PT111. I really like the one I have and not had any issues with it.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I was never really a fan of Taurus and recently had the opportunity to shoot the Bersa. When it comes down to the Keltec and Bersa, the Keltec feels much better in my hand and points more naturally than the Bersa. Now this is just me; I have rather small mitts.

VIP Member
    I've been pretty happy with my PF-9. You're giving up a few rounds for the slimmer profile, of course, but I also understand that the trigger on the PF-9 is better then the trigger on the P11. Got mine out the door with a few extras for under $300.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Mine was reliable, inexpensive, and Kel-Tec has great customer service. They recently started a program where they sent SU-16 owners their pistol grip kit to beta test it for their SU-16 rifles. Not many companies listen like that to their customers.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Get another 605.

OPFOR brings up a good point. The Keltec PF-9 is within the same price range as those guns listed. I'd definitely give the PF-9 a thumbs up over the P11 since it is slimmer and has a much better trigger, plus you'd still have 3 rounds over the revolvers.

I'd rather have a PF9 with an extra mag or 2.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Get another 605.
    +1

Nothing wrong with having two of the same guns. You can use the same rounds, and your muscle motor skills under stress will be trained for the 605.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I like the idea of the revolver. taurus 605. as Ayoob and many others state...most ccw'ers carry a small revolver. I like the SW642, but for the money you have listed. I would choose the 605. better built, and more reliable, than the semi auto's you have listed. again just my opinion
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Senior Moderator
    Thanks guys,

I forgot about extra mags all the prices only include 1 mag. I wouldn't CCW with out an additional one. PF-9 is a good choice also.

More replys wanted. I'm not purchasing it until after Christmas so I want to make the best choice I can.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I also have a PF-9. And while the .380 is not a terribly powerful round, I have a P3-AT for when maximum concealment is required.

Nathan
    --
    Ruger KP97DC .45 (x2)
    Ruger P97DC .45
    Ruger 22/45 .22
    Kel-tec PF-9 9mm
    Kel-tec P3-AT .380

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links