Warthog????

Warthog????

This is a discussion on Warthog???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of getting a Para Ordnance Warthog as a CC gun. Anyone have any experience with one of these?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warthog????

Warthog????

I am thinking of getting a Para Ordnance Warthog as a CC gun. Anyone have any experience with one of these?
    Attached Images

JD
    Administrator
    I had one for a little while, as I always state, if your going to go Para, go stainless, the Parakote doesn't hold up well.

I liked the Hawg, but it was incredibly unbalanced with the setup I had at the time, if I had a different holster, I may have kept it.

All I can say, is that you'll need a holster with a lot of space between loops if you go IWB, as the gun is top heavy when holstered. The butt of the gun is kinda wide, but if you're used to a double stack gun, it shouldn't be a problem.

Mine was super reliable, and the fatter grip did make the gun more controllable IMHO it was one of the better shooting and handling 3" 1911s I've ever shot.

One thing I did like about it, is that I could carry a 14rd P14 mag and use that as a reload, that was a very nice option.

Originally I had it has a partner to my P14-45 LDA, due to being able to use the P14 mags in the Hawg. I found my P14 to cumbersome for carry, sold it off, and the NiteHawg soon followed.

I miss them both.

The Warthog is my primary CCW weapon. I have not been able to make it to the range nearly enough but when I have it has always been reliable. I carry in a highnoon IWB holster (split decision) at 4 o'clock C&L.

Great, thanks for the input, I am currently carrying an M&P 9c, but want to go to either a Kimber UC, or the warthog. Decisions, decisions, decisions, lol

I have been eyingthe Warthawg because I am in the market for a 3" 1911 now that my permit is forthcoming, so I was glad to see your post on it.

The only thing that I can add, besides saying that everything I have read has been good, is that the SlimHawg looks a little easier to carry and may address the balance issue JD was referring to.

Either way you go, please let us know. I am curious.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Great, thanks for the input, I am currently carrying an M&P 9c, but want to go to either a Kimber UC, or the warthog. Decisions, decisions, decisions, lol
    Between the two, I'd take the Para, it doesn't have the firing pin safety, and you don't need the silly little tool to take it apart, the Hawg is heavier (while loaded) than the UC making it easier to control while firing.

But either one is a fine choice, I'm not overly thrilled with Kimber lately, but having had the Paras I've had, I can say that selling them to buy Kimbers that I no longer have was a mistake.

I think Kimber has them beat as far as fit and finsish are concerned, but while all the Paras were 100%, I have a 50% success rate with Kimbers, now keep in mind the ones I had problems with were not .45 caliber so your mileage may very.

My wife carried a Kimber Ultra Carry up until we got her a Wilson, and it had been a 100% shooter, but we had some mechanical troubles after some "drop tests" were done accidentally....don't ask.

Looking at the two, it's really all about capacity and how many .45s your comfortable with having on tap.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I've been drooling over the warthog,and nighthawg (sp) for some time now, thats my "dream firearm",and my fiancees 'dream firearm' as well.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Not that Hawg, but I do have some experiance with this one
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AV8OR View Post
    Now that's one cool HAWG!

Thank you for your service.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

HAHAHA, yeah I remember having some fun with a few of those when I was in the sandbox.

I looked very seriously at the Warthog a while back, but the thicker grip just wasn't as good a fit as that on a single-stack 1911. A Slim Hawg might fill the bill very well, however. I decided on a Kimber Ultra CDP II and am very happy with it. The Paras look to be excellent firearms and if one fits you it should serve you well.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I would say go to a gun shop and hold one first. They are good shooters, everyone I have used is very accurate. The only issue is the big handle for me, and it looks like others have that complaint as well. If the handle fits you, I would say for it!
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Reminds me of Glock 30

I have held the Para Warthog and also the Glock 30. They seem to be very similar in size, capacity and thickness. Both are double stack .45s with short barrel and grip. The Glock was a little lower in price, I believe.

I'll take this one to operate out of my driveway.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I have both the Warthog and the Kimber UC II. I like both of them. I will say you may need to put a bunch of rounds through them to get them consistent. Took me about 600-700 rounds to do that.

That appears to be an issue with many 3" 1911s.

Get one of the Hogue or Pierce finger grooved rubber grips for either. It really made a difference for me in keeping them stable in my hand.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links