Springfield 1911 Gi Newbie

This is a discussion on Springfield 1911 Gi Newbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need some advice from 1911 owners. This is my first 1911 and experienced multiple FTF with 50 rounds of remington 230gr FMJ. I understand it ...

Need some advice from 1911 owners. This is my first 1911 and experienced multiple FTF with 50 rounds of remington 230gr FMJ. I understand it takes about 200-300 rounds to break in. Would like to try a new mag and possibly change the recoil spring to see if this helps. Any suggestions on brand names for mags and recoil springs please. Part number if possible. Thanks

Before doing any of that try a different brand of ammo- blazer brass, wwb, whatever your local range sells. Also make sure the gun is clean and well lubed.
    If that doesn't help, then try the other stuff.

For springs, check out Wolff springs (gunsprings.com)

For mag's, Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, Tripp Research (as well as others)

First off, welcome to the forum!

Definitely try new mags. I recommend Wilson Combat. I had some FTF issues with one of my Springers and using Wilson Combat mags were the answer.

Try a wilson or CMc mags dont change nothing else at this time

i also like the white box winchester 230 fmj , better than rem or federal .

ps. welcome to the springer club

elance

I use chip mc Cormick shooting star mags in mine. They are pretty decent and cdnninvestments.com is selling them for 9.99 a piece in blue or 12.99 in stainless steel. I never even used the mags that springfield sent me.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ill go with the group in try " real mags " rather than what came with the gun . Your springer should not need a protracted " break in " and after the first 100 rounds or so should run fine . If not there is a limited set of suspects , and mags are the first / cheapest issue to address .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

To all: Thanks for the quick response

I got a new Springfield GI just a couple of weeks ago and it runs like a top with everything but semiwadcutter reloads.

Mine was oozing lube all over the place when I first took it out of the box. First thing I did was field strip it, clean it and properly lube it.

Before you go replacing any parts, clean 'er up and lightly lube. It could be too choked up with grease to cycle properly.

I'm surprised you are having problems. Between myself and friends I know of about 7 or 8 new Springer 1911's purchased in the last 3 months. Everyone of them functioned flawlessly out of the box. Try another brand of ammo, something like WWB or Blazer Brass.bbIf you are still experiencing the problems, I think you may have gotten a lemon.

As far as the mags, while they are not great mags, my springer mags have worked just fine but apparently others have had problems. I wonder if Springer mags had issues and since the guns that I am familiar with have been bought recently, I am thinking that maybe they corrected an issue they were having with older mags.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

use good ammo

Any 1911 owner knows that its almost alway the magazines, though I have never had probs with my factory Springfields. Try some good mags, but for God's sakes first try different ammo before you do anything else. I never have as many FTFs and/or FTEs as I do when I try to run Remington UMC ammo through either my Springfield 1911A1 or my Delta Elite. They both hate the stuff. If you own a good gun give it good food. Even if that means that just for test purposes you have to shell out for some spendy ammo. My 1911s tend to like Sellior and Bellot 230 gr. fmj and Federal American Eagle 230 gr. fmj real well and both are fortunately pretty cheap.

He didn't mention if the 1911 was new or used.If it's used, you need to figure out if it was modified/butchered by the original owner/gunsmith.1911's seem to be very prone to home smithing that only seems to wreck the performance of a stocker.That springer should eat any ammo with the stock mags and should have a 16lb spring. A really common problem is putting the recoil spring in backwards after field stripping.The tight end goes on the recoil rod.Chuck.

And if all else fails, if you bought it new, go back to the gun store and have them send it back to Springfield. I had to do that with my Micro...of course it still is unreliable but they did do some work on it and included the box ends of the amo they test fired thru it. I'll hafta try the new mag angle as any ammo still feeds terribly thru it. But realistically I should send it back to Springfield again...and since its not my "go to" gun it'd be okay for me.

My fullsized GI Springer..flawless from the word go!
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Have you cleaned the pistol. I don't grease 1911s, and use CLP only. Are all your failures the same type. As others stated, I'd try ammo right after cleaning the mags and pistol. As far as mags go, the new Wilson ETM mags seem to be great so far.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

could be a mag problem and/or the feed ramp on the barrel. i would also try a different brand of ammo just to rule it out. most 1911 ftf problems that i have seen were mag problems. some of the best mags that i have found were the old gi mags on cheaper than dirt for around $5.00. think they are higher now. but i have to mark whick mag work in which 1911. people at the range would asked me why i had different color dots on the bottom of my mags.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links