Extended Mag for my Mustang

This is a discussion on Extended Mag for my Mustang within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my Colt Mustang in June and had some early feed and extraction/ejection problems with it. I polished the feed ramp, put a spring ...

Thread: Extended Mag for my Mustang

VIP Member

I got my Colt Mustang in June and had some early feed and extraction/ejection problems with it. I polished the feed ramp, put a spring kit in, and bought another mag. The feed ramp polish and spring kit helped, but with the original mag it still had occasional problems. I bought a new mag and the problems were solved.

The original mag had been in the gun with 6 rounds in it since it was bought, so I guess the spring had lost some strength. I'll replace that later.

Last Saturday I got an extended mag which adds one more round and has the finger extension so that my pinkie is supported.

While I was trying out the Charter Arms Bulldog this afternoon I tried out the new mag. I'm glad that I can say it worked perfectly and even improved my shooting. I'm sure this part came from the finger extension. Here are a couple of pictures with the extended mag in place. Just in case anyone is wondering; the safety is off because I just came back from the range and slapped the empty mag into the empty gun and eased the slide forward to make the photos. After it is cleaned and loaded the safety will be on.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    I am a fan of extended mags George, on small semi's.

eage5 has some nice extendeds for his compact M&P and I have two for my Smith 99 ....... I don't find the extra concealement aspect a problem but for sure the grip improves no end - and thus control and accuracy.

The capacity bonus is less the deal to me than the better feel.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member

Mustang feed /ejection probs

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    I got my Colt Mustang in June and had some early feed and extraction/ejection problems with it.
    A few months back Limatunes posted excellent instructions for removing the extractor and cleaning it. That eliminated ejection problems on my Mustang.

Glad to hear the extended mag works so well.

Where again did you get it? Can you post the URL?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    A few months back Limatunes posted excellent instructions for removing the extractor and cleaning it. That eliminated ejection problems on my Mustang.

Glad to hear the extended mag works so well.

Where again did you get it? Can you post the URL?
    I tried the extractor cleaning back when I first got the Mustang and it helped some, but didn't solve all the problems.

I tried bunches of places and could not find one. Everybody showed them out of stock. A dealer friend of mine here in Alabama knew I was looking for one and came up with one. Probably from his own stock. He doesn't have a storefront. He does gunshows and mail order. He advertises in Shotgun News and other places like that. He may have another. I'll check and if he does I'll send you a PM.

I did see another one at a gunshow in Montgomery, AL last weekend. One of the dealers who specializes in mags had one. Gunshows may be your best source if my friend doesn't have another.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I'm sure the control is greater with the extension, but its not for me. I guess I just feel that it would get in the way of concealment.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    I'm sure the control is greater with the extension, but its not for me. I guess I just feel that it would get in the way of concealment.

that's what I thought about adding the Bersa finger extension (base plate) to my Kel-Tec P3AT at first. I waited 2-1/2 years to try it. Yes, it slightly reduces my carry options, but the control you gain from it can be amazing. I always have an "original" magazine on hand for those limited space needs, but the pinkie rest has found a home with me most of the time.

Besides, it don't cost that much to find out!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    I have a K&D pocket defender and a Laredo Defender coming for it. When I pocket carry I'll use the regular mag and carry the extended one. When I belt carry I'll use the extended and carry the regular. Right now I pocket carry my Kel-Tec P32 and carry a 10 round mag for it.
    George

Man that is an ugly mag base !!! :)
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Wow, that just looks so wrong on that gun.........glad it worked though.

Links