I am stumped. HELP ME.

I am stumped. HELP ME.

This is a discussion on I am stumped. HELP ME. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to buy a new handgun. That is definite. I am really bouncing around. I was of the opinion early on in my ...

Question I am stumped. HELP ME.

I am going to buy a new handgun. That is definite. I am really bouncing around. I was of the opinion early on in my ccw days that GLOCK was the answer. I still LOVE my Glock. It is my first handgun in a serious caliber, and will probably never leave my collection, like many others have done. I have wants for a medium frame revolver in somethng like .44 or .45, a pocket .38/.357. A small frame 9mm, "tricked out" with night sights and laser grips, and a good concealable .45 acp, or just buying another g27 the one gun I have sold that I wonder, "why?" Here in no certain order are my general wishlist items. I will probably buy all of them at some point in the distant future...I am a public servant and do not make a lot of money. Any owners of these listed please voice your opinions experiences. I know how we all like to give advice on oeach other potential purchases.
    1. S&W 629 or 625
    2. S&W 642/442, M&P 340
    3. SIG p239, Kahr p9/pm9, HK p2000sk
    4. SIG p220 carry DAK, Kahr p45, S&W M&P 45, Para Covert Black Carry, g21SF, G30, or g36.

PS I have seen mention in other threads of the g36 having reliability issues...please explain if you have any experience.

THANKS
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

625 and 629 are great the rest i dont have much exp with except the 36 and i wouldnt buy another 36 even if i loved glocks

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have a 642 and a P9, and am well pleased with each. Wouldn't want to get rid of either.

Jerry

I have a 442 - no reason to buy the 340. Lots of extra money for 3 ounces and a painful ability to shoot .357 magnum. Nice little gun.

I'd get the 625 if it were between the two - assuming its for SD not hunting.

Sigs are great. You can't go wrong with one!

Austin

Out of the list, I currently own a G30 and Kahr PM9. The G30 is mild shooting 45, high capacity, but definitely on the thicker/blockier side. Out of the 11 handguns I own, my PM9 gets the most carry. Fits nicely in the pocket and just disappears IWB. The PM9 is a nice little package, kinda serves the purpose of say a S&W 642 (atleast for me). I hope you get to own all of those guns on your list someday.

Previously owned a Kahr P45. Found the recoil to be quite stout, and although a thin gun, not the easiest to conceal due to the grip length. Sold the gun and don't miss it one bit.

the kahr tp45 is the one to get, not the p or pm45.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Here are a couple of keepers you might keep in mind that will fill in the gaps in your list.

Sig P239SAS .40sw w/DAK trigger

Kimber Covert Ultra II...45acp
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    the kahr tp45 is the one to get, not the p or pm45.

Why do you say this? I was looking at getting a kahr 45
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I would opt for a S&W 637 with CT grips... or Sig 239 with .40 and .357 Sig barrels/mags

both still on my want (NEED) list

VIP Member
    Let me help you...

SIG P-220 Carry SAS!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Whether as a primary or a BUG Airweights are one great gun. You'll eventually get a J frame (I think we all did at some point), so why not sooner then later?

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I am going to buy a new handgun. That is definite. I am really bouncing around. I was of the opinion early on in my ccw days that GLOCK was the answer. I still LOVE my Glock. It is my first handgun in a serious caliber, and will probably never leave my collection, like many others have done. I have wants for a medium frame revolver in somethng like .44 or .45, a pocket .38/.357. A small frame 9mm, "tricked out" with night sights and laser grips, and a good concealable .45 acp, or just buying another g27 the one gun I have sold that I wonder, "why?" Here in no certain order are my general wishlist items. I will probably buy all of them at some point in the distant future...I am a public servant and do not make a lot of money. Any owners of these listed please voice your opinions experiences. I know how we all like to give advice on oeach other potential purchases.
    1. S&W 629 or 625
    2. S&W 642/442, M&P 340
    3. SIG p239, Kahr p9/pm9, HK p2000sk
    4. SIG p220 carry DAK, Kahr p45, S&W M&P 45, Para Covert Black Carry, g21SF, G30, or g36.

PS I have seen mention in other threads of the g36 having reliability issues...please explain if you have any experience.

THANKS
    The 625 is a great gun and gives fast revolver reloads. I carry a Model 22-4, which is a fixed sight blued 45 ACP Revolver. My BUG is the 442.

If I wanted a .357 Magnum I would seriously look at the Ruger GP100 or the SP101. They may not be as "nice" as a S&W, but they seem to work better and don't have the "Clinton Lock".

As far as a 45 ACP goes, get a 1911 for the safe and carry a M&P. I'm really impressed with the M&P that a "once fine revolver company" came out with. I've seriously considered one.

Sounds like you have some good guns to decide on. I had a Glock 36, keyword is HAD. Some of the problems I had with the Glock 36 may have been my fault. I have wrist "issues" and may have limpwristed it, but I doubt it. I never had a problem with the Glock 20 or 21. Needless to say, the Glock 36 would be the last one I would pick.

The Kahr P45 seems to be a handfull. I've seen three of them that went from a local gunshop to the range and back to the gunshop in the Used Cabinet. That tells me something, and I think it may be a "clue".

OK, good luck and stay safe.

Biker

You can't go wrong with a Sig.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links