I want a new gun....

I want a new gun....

This is a discussion on I want a new gun.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to get a new gun for CC... I have a CCC 1911..and i LOVE IT!! but im looking for something.... I DONT know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want a new gun....

I want a new gun....

I want to get a new gun for CC... I have a CCC 1911..and i LOVE IT!! but im looking for something.... I DONT know what I want... Ok OK ill tell you all what is going on... I took my wife shooting today and she LOVES my 1911 w/ LG 301 on it, she took it from me.... and she wants it for her CCW class she is going to... she also wants to carry the 1911.... so that leaves me with out my gun... so i was thinking about trying a Glock 23C also with LG 619 on it. or the SIG P239 w/ LG 439.
    what is yalls in put on the choices?

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your wife's enthusiasm as a shooter.

I have four CCW's that I choose from, depending on where I'm going (quick trip/in a hurry) and what I'm wearing at the time. My four primary choices are: NAA .22 mag, PPK-S, Glock 27, Colt Defender. The ccw with the most miles on it for me is the Glock 27.

When shopping it's easy to be overwhelmed with choices, and though somewhat frustrating it's really a good thing. You are doing your search in the right manner, once you've narrowed down some choices try shooting some of them before you buy. Maybe a range will rent them to you?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Both are good

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrigger View Post
    I was thinking about trying a Glock 23C or the SIG P239.
    The G23 is a 13+1 round .40 caliber gun that weighs about 24 ounces empty and is very compact and concealable for the amount of firepower it provides. The Glock trigger is quite different from your 1911 trigger, of course. But one can shoot a Glock quite well with some practice. Although the G23 has a sharp recoil, I personally would not get the compensated "C" model of the gun, believing that the gas ports cause more difficulties than they solve.

The Sig P239 is a single stack gun that holds 7+1 rounds in .40 caliber and is known for reliability and accuracy. It weighs 27 ounces empty and has an aluminum frame to the polymer of the Glock. It is very compact and concealable, and available in DA/SA trigger design or DAO.

I have the Glock 23 and other Sigs but not the P239. Personally I would probably go with the uncompensated Glock 23 but the Sig P239 is certainly not a bad choice.

Senior Moderator
    I have Sigs, H&Ks, Berettas, an M&P, Glocks, XDs, and 1911s. I like them all! But, as of late, I am becoming more and more impressed with the Beretta PX4. It's DA trigger is about as good as it gets on a stock gun, and it's SA is the best I've seen on any stock gun, except maybe a revolver.

Seems to be as accurate as any, ultra reliable, and of course, has the current rage of replaceable back straps. Oh yeah, the rotating barrel is kinda neat too.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The G23 is a 13+1 round .40 caliber gun that weighs about 24 ounces empty and is very compact and concealable for the amount of firepower it provides. The Glock trigger is quite different from your 1911 trigger, of course. But one can shoot a Glock quite well with some practice. Although the G23 has a sharp recoil, I personally would not get the compensated "C" model of the gun, believing that the gas ports cause more difficulties than they solve.

The Sig P239 is a single stack gun that holds 7+1 rounds in .40 caliber and is known for reliability and accuracy. It weighs 27 ounces empty and has an aluminum frame to the polymer of the Glock. It is very compact and concealable, and available in DA/SA trigger design or DAO.

I have the Glock 23 and other Sigs but not the P239. Personally I would probably go with the uncompensated Glock 23 but the Sig P239 is certainly not a bad choice.
    Eh... go with the Glock 22. It's also a .40 and you'll have 2 more rounds. 15+1 is like carrying a small arsenal.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Well, I have the P239 SAS .40sw w/DAK and the laser max internal.

I like it....I love it....I want some more of it.

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I've owned a SIG P239 and currently own a Glock 23C. They are both fantastically reliable guns, but there is a very big difference in grip size and shape between these two guns. I personally love the feel of the Glock compact size guns (19 and 23), the size and capacity are great.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND shooting both for yourself before you buy.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Both are great choices. I would opt for the Glock because it should be easier to conceal and hold more ammo.

VIP Member
    I have to vote for SIG but have you considered the P-220 Carry? (top left) VERY sweet shooting and carrying weapon!

Here's a few P-220's for your viewing (drooling) pleasure!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I want a new gun too, an American 180 :)
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

I have many friends that carry, most carry glocks, of the guys that carry glocks most carry the G23. They will tell you that the G23 is the perfect carry gun,
    I carry the G30, that's just me I'm a 45 kind of guy and am on the bigger side.

Well said and true.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    it is my opinion and some others on the forum that the "C" models don't make the best carry weapons due to thier tactical shortcomings. I had an article in mind but can't find it. Its called "What the dealers don't tell you about compensated models" or somthing like that. Anyway, a few things that come to mind are the fact that the port end has to be treated like the "business" end b/c it can cause severe burns. This is somthing that i wouldn't even want to bother with especially in a stressfull situation. Also that that port flash allows a BG (badguy) to make some easy follow up shots if (god for bid) he is shooting at you. The third argument I have agianst the 'C' models is the fact that from pro and average shooters alike didn't really prove to be all that more accurate with it. Just some info, and passing it along final choice is yours. Welcome to the community!
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Please don't get me started on a "I want list." My wife will have my head for sure.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Cool

Have you considered the Springfield XD .40 or .45, excellent gun out the box and reasonably priced.
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    OF the two guns you have stated...I would choose the sig as long as you feel you can conceal it.
    But I have to ask...if you like 1911's so much, and now your wife likes them too...why wouldn't you buy another? Then both of you would be carrying the same ammo, same mags, same manual of battery, same site picture....it would just make sense.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links