Got two more.

This is a discussion on Got two more. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a gunshow in Albany GA. today and did a little horse trading on a Springfield Champion and a Kimber pro carry II. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got two more.

Got two more.

I went to a gunshow in Albany GA. today and did a little horse trading on a Springfield Champion and a Kimber pro carry II. I think I made out allright. I have about 565.00 in the Springfield and about 600.00 in the Kimber. I got the springfield first and should have stoped but the Kimber just looked like it needed a home. Both guns are used but in good shape, I think I will take a trip to the range in the morning to see how they shoot.
    Looks like I will be needing another IWB holster though.
    Attached Images
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Oh man those are sweet! I think you did okay.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

JD
    Administrator
    Nice adds, I really like that Champ, is it park'd loaded Champ? If so I'm totally jealous!

On a side note, I'd make sure to have the thumb safety on that Kimber engaged with the hammer back and a mag in it, that's a bad habit to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Nice adds, I really like that Champ, is it park'd loaded Champ? If so I'm totally jealous!

On a side note, I'd make sure to have the thumb safety on that Kimber engaged with the hammer back and a mag in it, that's a bad habit to get into.
    Yah, I was playing with it. It's unloaded in the pic, but loaded cocked and locked right now. I forgot to mention, it came with night sights.
    The Champ isn't the loaded model, so you don't have to be jealous.

JD
    Administrator
    Well considering that they only offer a park'd Champ in the GI family, I am jealous.

Nice beavertail, Novaks, good thumb safety. Slanted cocking serrations, if it's not a true loaded model, some one went a heck of a long way to make it like one.

I'm still jealous

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Well considering that they only offer a park'd Champ in the GI family, I am jealous.

Nice beavertail, Novaks, good thumb safety. Slanted cocking serrations, if it's not a true loaded model, some one went a heck of a long way to make it like one.

I'm still jealous
    Other than the metal, it looks just like my Loaded Champion!

superior skills."

I had a loaded v10 and the only difference is the ambi safety (and the ports of course.) If the new loadeds don't come with the ambi safety then that's what I have. It is a nice gun either way. BTW, I like those grips Thumper.

VIP Member
    Good looking

ah man, I live w/in an hour of Albany...and didn't know there was a gun show going on... I wouldn't have been about to go anyway prolly nor could I have afforded anything.. Anyway, those look really nice additions, congrats and I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceKeepr View Post
    ah man, I live w/in an hour of Albany...and didn't know there was a gun show going on... I wouldn't have been about to go anyway prolly nor could I have afforded anything.. Anyway, those look really nice additions, congrats and I'm jealous.
    Shows still going on today. I saw some good prices on the tables and my friend bought a 10/22 with a bull barrel for 100.00 from a walker. Cost $8 to get in though.

A new gun is always nice, 2 is even better.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Think you did really well. Those are great lookin 1911's
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Ok. I made it to the range on monday night. I'm impressed.

First the Champ, It shoots nice and smooth with mild recoil. My groups were about 2 inches at 10 yards, I'm sure the gun would do better if I were a better shot. I did have a round fail to eject. This was the next to last round in the magazine so I'm thinking it's a mag problem and not a gun problem. I couldn't get it to repeat the malfunction so I will try again later.

Now the Kimber, it has a little more bite (alloy frame) but still less bite than my G23 and it's smooth as glass in the hand. My groups were a little tighter, I think the better sights on the Kimber helped. On both guns my first round was high, about 2 inches from the group. I think I was just excited and not used to the triggers.

Then I took the Kimber over to the metal targets and lost myself. I had so much fun with this gun I ran out of ammo before I could try the champ out on the metal.

I allmost couldn't miss, Allmost!
    When I ran out of winchester ball I loaded both guns up with 5 rounds of Corbon 230gr JHP and did a little rapid fire on paper. I had dinner plate size groups at 10 yards with both guns. The Kimber was a handfull with the +P ammo, not saying the champ was a kitten but with the lighter Kimber I felt more.
    All in all it was a fun 45 min ,I didn't have alot of time due to the no shooting after dark rule at my range, I can't wait until I have more time to shoot.

My wife dragged me to the mall yesterday so I carried the Kimber because it was lighter and the only complaint I have is the grips, they ate my side up. I finally bought a shirt to put on over my T-shirt so I could tuck and protect my fat. I will be looking for an different set of grips for one or both of these guns when I carry them.
    I think I like the Kimber a little better right now but I haven't had enough range time with either to decide if one is really a better gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    First the Champ, It shoots nice and smooth with mild recoil. My groups were about 2 inches at 10 yards, I'm sure the gun would do better if I were a better shot. I did have a round fail to eject. This was the next to last round in the magazine so I'm thinking it's a mag problem and not a gun problem. I couldn't get it to repeat the malfunction so I will try again later.
    I have never actually used tha magazines that came with my Champion. From day one, I used Wilson 47D's and for carry Wilson 47 DC's. I have not had a single FTF / FTE or any magazine related problems. Three of the 47D's are dedicated strictly to range use which included dropping them in the dirt during reloads and even getting stepped on. Wilson magazines work and work very well!

superior skills."

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    I will be looking for an different set of grips for one or both of these guns when I carry them.
    If you're shopping for new grips, I'd have to suggest the VZ 320's they still have a good bit of grip to them without "biting" the hands. I have them on my TRS (Thank's NYCMedic!) and I couldn't be happier with them, I tried the regular VZ Gatorbacks, but the 320s just feel better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links