[Poll] XD40SC vs. XD45C

[Poll] XD40SC vs. XD45C

This is a discussion on [Poll] XD40SC vs. XD45C within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have decided to trade in my XD 9mm Service model for either: XD40 Sub-compact or the XD45 compact I am torn on which ...

View Poll Results: Which gun should I pick?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springfield XD .40 Sub-compact

11 26.83%
  • Springfield XD .45 Compact

30 73.17%

Thread: [Poll] XD40SC vs. XD45C

[Poll] XD40SC vs. XD45C

So I have decided to trade in my XD 9mm Service model for either:

XD40 Sub-compact
    or the
    XD45 compact

I am torn on which to get. I want to shoot both but the range near where I live doesn't have either of these two guns to rent.

XD40sc:

The sub-compact would be marginally easier to conceal (which would be the main purpose of this gun) with a shorter length at 6.25 length and a 4.75 height*. The sc holds 9+1 rounds of .40. Word on the street is that the .40S&W cartridge is a little more snappy than the .45 (word on the street = my experience )...however I was shooting a .40 glock and a .45 glock not an xdsc or xd45c.

*The slight .25 height difference between the 2 pistols would probably be negated by the fact that I would add mag extensions to the sc so my pinky doesn't wrap underneath the gun.

XD45c:

The .45 is 7.3 inches long (same as my service) with a 5 inch height. The .45 would probably have a little better accuracy with a 4" barrel as oppose to the 3" the sc.40 would have. Don't foresee this being an issue because I am the best shot this side of the Mississippi. The .45 holds 10+1 rounds of .45. Again, its slightly better but its only 1 round...though the 45's are bigger rounds--I guess this is a slight plus..but its nothing to write home about. The .45 is heavier but only by a couple of ounces (3 or 4).

The ammo for both of these guns is about the same price and the selection is pretty solid for both. The .45 probably has a slight edge in that regard. I can't find any specs on the width of either of these gun however. I would imagine they are the same, but knowing for sure would be nice. When I looked at the gun store I thought the .45 looked a little wider but that could have just been my eyes playing tricks on me...though if it is that close...i guess its not really an issue.

What do you guys think? Posts your reasons for voting either way :)

I have both and the 40SC would definitely be better for CCW I think. Both are double-stack, so a little fat for my taste carrying. Haven't compared side-by-side, so not sure if 45 is fatter than the 40. I doubt you'll use the extended mag for CCW. The grip is the hardest to conceal. The 40SC's grip looks LOOONG with the extended mag in. Same goes for the 45, but doesn't look as weird with the 4" barrel. I might try the short mag in the holster and carry an extended as backup.

Oh btw when I say mag extension I mean this:

in your opinion which has more recoil?

the 45 bigger bullet better bullet. dont like anything other then the 45acp. just my choice.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

JD
    Administrator
    I'd take a longer sight radius over a shorter one any day of the week.

I'd also take the .45ACP over .40 in a polymer framed gun.

The XD Compact is a pretty slick configuration, giving you more accuracy without really loosing concealability.

I have an XD9SC, but between your two choices I would go with the XD45C. I personally do not like .40 and the 1/4 inch difference in height really isn't that much harder to conceal and the XD45C is pretty versatile with the extended mags. Go with the XD45C!

The two biggest factors for me are: concealability and comfort.

I know the grip is the hardest part to conceal..hence getting rid of my service model, but how much of a difference in terms of comfort do you think a shorter length would make?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    The two biggest factors for me are: concealability and comfort.

I know the grip is the hardest part to conceal..hence getting rid of my service model, but how much of a difference in terms of comfort do you think a shorter length would make?
    That all depends on way too may factors to make an accurate statement. It all depends on type of holster you plan on using, where you plan on carrying the holster on your waist, your body type etc. etc.

I usually carry a 5" 1911, and I find it carries better than a 3" 1911 as it is better balanced for me.

You'll most likely get a "quicker" draw from a smaller bbl. gun, but it's all about sacrifice.

The longer bbl gun, if carried correctly in a good holster, attached to a good belt will carry just as well as the smaller bbl gun.

In my case, the longer bbl guns carry better as the muzzle doesn't dig in on the center of my hip when sitting.

I would choose the .40 sc. I read in other forums that the .45 compact is a bit heavy to carry. again this is subjective.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

before shopping for my next handgun, I was checking statistics/ballistics/effectiveness of bullet cross section, etc., and found some really interesting stuff...

a NY cop (Massad Ayoob, I believe) compiled statistics from gun fights and found that the percentage of hits on a 'target' during a gunfight with a revolver were only 30%. When the shooter used a semi-auto, the hit percentage rose to 50%, both of the handguns you are comparing are already semi's, that's good!

second study had to do with effectiveness of caliber/velocity/design of bullet... to summarize, even though a BG is hit by a high velocity round that expanded inside, the BG because of the smaller entry hole size (9mm used in the comparison) didn't realize he was dying inside. the outcome leaned in favor of larger caliber to produce not only expansion inside but more importantly more 'ingoing' trauma as the round enters......thinking about this, it made some sense. Getting hit by a heavy golf ball is felt by more nerve ending rich skin and then underlying muscle than being hit by a paintball and brushing off the sting to press on with the fight, especially when the golf ball still expands, too.

That all said, my next purchase was a .45 semi-with extra round capacity (to compensate for a 50% rule that I will practice, practice practice to strive for a 0% miss)

my $ .02

Jim B

before shopping for my next handgun, I was checking statistics/ballistics/effectiveness of bullet cross section, etc., and found some really interesting stuff...

a NY cop (Massad Ayoob, I believe) compiled statistics from gun fights and found that the percentage of hits on a 'target' during a gunfight with a revolver were only 30%. When the shooter used a semi-auto, the hit percentage rose to 50%, both of the handguns you are comparing are already semi's, that's good!

second study had to do with effectiveness of caliber/velocity/design of bullet... to summarize, even though a BG is hit by a high velocity round that expanded inside, the BG because of the smaller entry hole size (9mm used in the comparison) didn't realize he was dying inside. the outcome leaned in favor of larger caliber to produce not only expansion inside but more importantly more 'ingoing' trauma as the round enters......thinking about this, it made some sense. Getting hit by a heavy golf ball is felt by more nerve ending rich skin and then underlying muscle than being hit by a paintball and brushing off the sting to press on with the fight, especially when the golf ball still expands, too.

That all said, my next purchase was a .45 semi-with extra round capacity (to compensate for a 50% rule that I will practice, practice practice to strive for a 0% miss)

my $ .02

Jim B

I vote for the .40sc. I am not a big fan of the .45acp and to be honest, don't really see why so many people are in love with it. The .40 is a faster bullet, you can get more of them in the gun, is an more accurate round (in my experience) and the ammo costs less.

I just don't see the advantage of a slightly bigger bullet moving so much slower.

Just out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to see the XD9 service model for?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I vote for the .40sc. I am not a big fan of the .45acp and to be honest, don't really see why so many people are in love with it. The .40 is a faster bullet, you can get more of them in the gun, is an more accurate round (in my experience) and the ammo costs less.

I just don't see the advantage of a slightly bigger bullet moving so much slower.

Just out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to see the XD9 service model for?
    My XD45 service carries 13 . The XD40 service carries 12.

There's a reason the .45 has remained so popular for the past 100 years. Here's an article you may find interesting: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/other/jh_45acp.htm

Our local Sheriff's Dept recently scrapped their Glock 40's for XD45's. They had has some situations where they were not please with the .40cal performance. They had previously carried .45's and are happy to be back with the .45.

Sponsored Links