Good trade?

Good trade?

This is a discussion on Good trade? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Local gun shop has a used Springfield Micro 3" in stock. I am thinking of trading in my M&P 9c, plus a few dollars for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good trade?

Good trade?

Local gun shop has a used Springfield Micro 3" in stock. I am thinking of trading in my M&P 9c, plus a few dollars for the Micro. I would be taking a bit of a loss of money in trading my M&P. Anyone have any opinions on the M&P vs. the Micro? I know these 2 guns are in totally different categories, but I kinda like the Micro.

I wouldnt

Any 1911 with less than a 4.25 barrell, and you are asking for serious reliability issues, the slide travel is limited to below what it was designed for, I advise you to pass on that one,

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I don't mean to disrespect the opinion of the previous poster but I respectfully disagree to a point. I do think designs can be pushed to their limits and when they get there, you'll find more problems. I think KelTec's P3AT is a perfect example. It's the smallest, lightest and thinnest .380 out there period, but to get all of that into such a small package pushed the design limits so initially they had terrible reliability and I mean TERRIBLE, however, they worked on it and improved it and now the 2nd Generation P3AT's are great little guns. So, the original design of the 1911 started with a 5 inch barrel. Obviously you get problems if you change the design too much and I believe most agree that the smaller 1911's have been or were subject to more reliability issues, however, Colt, Kimber, Springfield and others all make and sell thousands of these and I believe the reliability is much better than it has been.

However, some designs can only be tweaked so much before they just don't work and some think taking the 1911 down to 3" has pushed the design too far. Although they may have a point, there seems to be too many out there who've had great success with the little guns, so what I'll say is that if you like the 3" micro, you should try it but you should realize that there might be a trip or two back to Springfield to get it up to speed. But isn't that a chance with take with any gun? I even had a Ruger SP101revolver lock up on me the first time I took it to the range, brand new, right out of the box!

So I believe there's a little something to what some will say negatively about a 3"1911 but what I'd say is that if you like it and are willing to work with it then you're likely to end up with a weapon you love that is reliable.

If 3" 1911's were as unreliable as some think, then I don't believe all of the major producers would keep making them.

I'd love to get a 3" 1911 because I like the 1911 platform AND I like the size/concealability of the 3" and despite the claim of some that they can pocket carry a 5" 1911, the average guy can't and ever inch off the barrel just makes it a little easier to conceal.

So if you really like the micro, I'd consider buying it but I'd ask the shop to be willing to take it back if you get it to the range and find out it's in there becasue it is unrelaible! That way you don't have to mess with shipping it back to Springfield if you don't want to.

God Bless
    Gideon
    Last edited by Gideon; November 11th, 2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling :)

Jaystekan, this is an interesting debacle. I personally would stick with the M&P9c. I have a micro 3" 1911 with my Para Slim Hawg and while it is a concealable package, I find it harder to shoot than the M&P9c. That and the 9mm is significantly cheaper over .45, unless of course you reload or have the monetary means.

What Micro is it? The Loaded lightweight, GI, etc.?

I never had any reliability issues with my Slim Hawg but have no experience with any of SA's micros.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post

So if you really like the micro, I'd consider buying it but I'd ask the shop to be willing to take it back if you get it to the range and find out it's in there becasue it is unrelaible! That way you don't have to mess with shipping it back to Springfield if you don't want to.
    I'm sorry but unless you're in VERY tight with the shop, most don't take returns, especially on a used gun.

You're going to take a big loss on the M&P so either:

A: Stick the Springer on lay-away, sell the M&P out right to someone else and get as much money as you can on it, then pay off the Springer.

B: Take $50 bucks into the shop, put the Springer on lay-away pay it off, if you like it, keep it, if not you sell it.

Right now you don't know if you're going to like the 3" 1911, but I'm betting you like your M&P. Why get rid of a known working gun that you like, for a used 3" 1911, they aren't what I'd call rare.

Personally, I can't vouch for the Micro, but I don't like 3" 1911s, I've had two, my wife has 2, she likes them, I hate them.

For that size of a package, I'd stick with the M&P C 9mm, keep yours save for a NEW 3" 1911 that you know hasn't been messed with, has new springs, and you know hasn't been abused.

Just my .02

If you really want a 3" 1911, I'll trade you a Kimber 3" Ultra Carry in .40 for your M&Pc 9mm

A 3 inch 1911 on a trade, I wouldn't do it. If you must have it, buy it. You'll lose money on a trade.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by willis68 View Post
    Any 1911 with less than a 4.25 barrell, and you are asking for possible reliability issues
    I know several people who own under 4.25 " barreled 1911 type pistols with no reliability issues. My SA Champ. works just fine. The question may be "why was this micro traded/sold to the gun shop?".
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OK, well you all convinced me to keep the M&P. I do love my M&P, and would hate t lose it. Unfortunately I have been drooling over the Micro, so I think layaway may be the way to go. I am going tomorrow, or tuesday to take another look at it, and if I do like it, I will put down a down-payment. I was seriously considering the slim Hawg, but a guy I talked to was having major problems with recoil springs on it. Anyway, folowing the advice on the thread, I am going to keep the M&P, and possible layaway the Micro. Thanks for all your help.

Well, I don't like the M&P, so I think you should trade it.

That is untrue, actually. I just think it's instructive.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" -- can't beat old addages.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I dislike shortening the slide on a 45 ACP for ballistic reasons.

You can shorten the slide on a 9mm without a great loss in velocity. The same cannot be said for the 45 ACP. For me personally I wouldn't get anything shorter than a Commander length, but that's just me.

The "butt" is what I find hard to hide, not the barrel or slide. I'd love to find an old Colt Officer's Model frame with a Commander or Government slide.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by willis68 View Post
    Any 1911 with less than a 4.25 barrell, and you are asking for serious reliability issues, the slide travel is limited to below what it was designed for...
    Volatile subject indeed. For what it's worth I bought a 4" 1911 recently and I've had (still have) serious reliability problems with it. The experience has turned me away from anything but classic 1911s...if I ever buy another one.

A lot of folks will legitimately argue they've had good experiences with their 3" to 4" 1911 but from a probabilistic standpoint my recommendation would be to avoid them as well. When they work they're a beautiful thing. When they have reliability problems they're like expensive paper weights.

I'd stick with the S&W. For me I leave the HK on the night stand.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Go for the Springer. In the event that you have problems with it Springfield will make it right for you, even down to replacing the entire gun.

My Springer GI Micro is a p.o.s. unreliable as hell, Hard on the hand as being the GI it has no beavertail so the 'tail' digs into my hand such that I am scarred (no exxageration) from shooting it. every time I shoot it I WILL bleed it kicks and cuts that bad. I have rounded the spur a lil and that helped but its reliability issue keeps it in the gunsafe 99.9% of the time. whenever it has come out is will never feed a whole mag of ammo.
    And as was stated prior, its the grip that makes a fullsixe 1911 hard to hide not the slide
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Keep the M&P - layaway the Micro - you can always change your mind.

BTW - I have an SA Champ (4inch) that has been Perfect from day 1.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links