Anyone know clipdraws, or female concealed carry?

Anyone know clipdraws, or female concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Anyone know clipdraws, or female concealed carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone use a clipdraw? I'm thinking for a Smith & Wesson J-Frame or a smallish Glock (nothing smaller than .38 revolver with 2 1/2 inch ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know clipdraws, or female concealed carry?

Question Anyone know clipdraws, or female concealed carry?

Anyone use a clipdraw? I'm thinking for a Smith & Wesson J-Frame or a smallish Glock (nothing smaller than .38 revolver with 2 1/2 inch nose, still on the fence S&W versus semi-auto), a clipdraw in combination with a reinforced jacket pocket or light shoulder holster might be the least obtrusive for a petite female. (Women's clothes are generally not made to allow for concealed carry in a pants pocket.)

I would sincerely appreciate any relevant comments or suggestions, in particular from folks with experience in this particular context (i.e., concealed carry in typical, civilian female clothing or for someone who is, more generally, small and not wearing baggy, casual attire). Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Talk to limatunes or one of our other female members, they'll fix you right up.

Administrator
    I have a clip draw on one of my J frames...it works well. I dont think I'd want to use one on anything much heavier or larger.

EDIT; I forgot I had one on my KelTec... it works well too.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 11th, 2007 at 09:40 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

As far as the Clipdraw is concerned, it is either widely cursed and being unsafe or thankfully blessed as being the only thing that really works for a particular person.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

check your law. In Ohio you need to carry in a holster, clip draw doesn't cover it. Holster is meant to carry gun, be drawn from and cover trigger guard (best explanation i've gotten), it can be home made, made of any material, but needs to support the gun. besides that i've used on my taurus wheel guns and it worked ok, but pocket holster and smart carry took care of most of my needs.

i use a clip draw on a s&w model 60, i love it. it works and is hard to beat. i got one coming for a glock 36. going to try it out to see if it as good as the one on the model 60. the clip draw is just as good as the kel tec belt clips. yes i got them on my p11 and p3at. to me the clip draw works well with small guns. easy to wear, easy to hide under any shirt. stays in place and does not move.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Another excellent resource on how to carry for women is The Cornered Cat.

http://www.corneredcat.com/
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    I carry in an Ace Case belly band strapped around the hips. I've carried that way for years, and it's worked well for me. Do a quick search here for my name and "belly band," and you'll come up with more detailed info.

The lady will have to alter her wardrobe to some degree to compensate for a handgun, but she can still look trim and fashionable. I'm rather petite and don't like wearing baggy clothes. I'm a size Small but I wear a "loose-fitting" Small or a Medium, and I choose tops that are longer, that cover at least halfway down the rear jeans pockets to conceal the "gun bump."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I have a Clipdraw on a snubby .38 and find it secure enough but the gun is very uncomfortable. it digs into my side and chafes pretty badly.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by rmarcustrucker View Post
    check your law. In Ohio you need to carry in a holster, clip draw doesn't cover it. Holster is meant to carry gun, be drawn from and cover trigger guard (best explanation i've gotten), it can be home made, made of any material, but needs to support the gun. besides that i've used on my taurus wheel guns and it worked ok, but pocket holster and smart carry took care of most of my needs.

Actually that's not entirely true, the only speculation for a holster is when you are in a car, if you are on foot/out and about you can use a clipdraw. Which means you'd have to transfer it to one of the other methods that are legal for car carry:
    See pages 17 and 18

Besides the belly band method mentioned by Betty, you could try the Smart Carry and Limatunes also has a website with some good reading, it can be found Here

Many thanks to all who contributed their knowledge and insight, and to the members and moderators who kept a gendered discussion thread clean and simple. Cornered Cat, Limatunes, and Betty's pages are especially helpful.

Related but separate issue: All these firearm accessories (necessary to carry concealed safely) seem a bit costly. Anyone know of good secondhand forums for this stuff? I can check eBay and the usual suspects, but often there are more niche-specific sites for any given type of equipment... (I could try making my own from stretchy fabric, but not until I know what these things are *supposed* to look and act like to meet basic safety requirements.)

You can get something cheap in nylon from Uncle Mike's....or semi-cheap mass production stuff from Galco or others. Once you find what you like paying for quality makes sense, at least for me.
    Friesepferd (sp?) uses a CTAC from www.comp-tac.com ....

Austin

i used a clip-draw on my Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45

worked great

+1 on Cornered Cat. Also, Julie Goloski has some good information, suggestions and links.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

VIP Member
    Anyone know of good secondhand forums for this stuff?
    You really don't want someone's used bellyband, if you're after that.

You can purchase a new one fairly inexpensively here.

You can also try the Buy, Sell, Trade subforum on these boards.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links