springfield emp opinions?

This is a discussion on springfield emp opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The EMP is the elusive gun I am trying to get my hands on before I make a final decision about what my next carry ...

Thread: springfield emp opinions?

The EMP is the elusive gun I am trying to get my hands on before I make a final decision about what my next carry gun is going to be (one of about 3 options I'm considering). No one has it in stock around here, and I will try for the gun show next weekend, but i'm not holding my breath. I've never shot a 1911, just dry fired a couple full-size .45 models in the shops. I like the idea of the 1911 format, though.

to anyone who owns one or has spent any time shooting one:

concerning size and weight, can you compare it to another gun? I know the technical dimensions, but comparison will help me wrap my brain around it better.

any problems? reliability after break-in period? accuracy?

I'm considering a 9mm, as I believe the gun will be quite small for .45 in my hands. .45 is my preferred caliber in a gun with enough to hang on to, but in pocket-sized guns (which is what I'm currently in the market for), I don't like to have more recoil than I can consistantly accurately re-aim thanks to the tiny grips. Does the 9mm version have a higher incidence of problems?

Thank you for any input! I'm having a hard time finding one to handle in person, so when I finally do get to, I want to be prepared with all my info and questions :)

crazy dancing banana, just for funn-->

I bought one about a month ago at the gunshow. So far it has been 100% reliable. I ordered a holster for it, but it hasn't got here yet. I have shot Blazer fmj and Blazer Brass fmj ammo through it. It is a good shooter and shoots as accurate as my G26 or G19. I haven't quite got use to the safety on it yet, as most of my shooting has been with Glocks or revolvers. Great little gun.

A guy who frequents the pawn shop I work in has one that he carries daily. I have not had the opportunity to shoot it, but I have handled it and dry fired it, and when it is finally released in .40 I will probably have to get one (not a fan of 9mm).

It is light enough to not be a bother, and small enough to wear just about anywhere you might want to carry it. The guy I mentioned carries his appendix.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I got one last month and now have about 800 rounds in it. It eats everything I've fed it flawlessly. It feels great in the my hand and is boring accurate. I carried it in Canute until I got a LB Concept VIII. I do wish it would have came dehorned a bit...the edges on the ejection port can cut you, and the thumb safety is sharp as well. The cost of it is also pretty high, but oh well it's just money anyways. Just my opinions.

-swiftdraw

Will you consider alternative 9mm pocket alternatives?

I have nothing against the Springfield EMP, but for 9mm pocket carry you might want to consider an alternate gun with a simpler trigger and safety setup than a 1911. A gun that works well in this role and that has smooth edges with no external hammer is the Kahr MK9. It has a DAO trigger with a smooth 7 pound pull. I believe that it is just as reliable, accurate and well made as the EMP, but at about 60% of the price. Here is mine:

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    The EMP appears to be the same gun as the Loaded Micro Compact in .45 ACP. Maybe your dealer has one of those in stock.

i have the kimber aegis, which is very similar to the EMP (3" barrel 9mm 1911)
    i love it. amount of recoil is perfect for me. nice and thin. reliable and accurate for a 3". make sure you at least feel it in your hands first. many of my friends dont like shooting my gun simply b/c their hands are too big, and im pretty sure the EMP is slightly smaller than mine

Quote Originally Posted by tellico View Post
    The EMP is the elusive gun I am trying to get my hands on before I make a final decision about what my next carry gun is going to be (one of about 3 options I'm considering). No one has it in stock around here, and I will try for the gun show next weekend, but i'm not holding my breath. I've never shot a 1911, just dry fired a couple full-size .45 models in the shops. I like the idea of the 1911 format, though.

to anyone who owns one or has spent any time shooting one:

concerning size and weight, can you compare it to another gun? I know the technical dimensions, but comparison will help me wrap my brain around it better.

any problems? reliability after break-in period? accuracy?

I'm considering a 9mm, as I believe the gun will be quite small for .45 in my hands. .45 is my preferred caliber in a gun with enough to hang on to, but in pocket-sized guns (which is what I'm currently in the market for), I don't like to have more recoil than I can consistantly accurately re-aim thanks to the tiny grips. Does the 9mm version have a higher incidence of problems?

Thank you for any input! I'm having a hard time finding one to handle in person, so when I finally do get to, I want to be prepared with all my info and questions :)

crazy dancing banana, just for funn-->

Are you in TN? If so, I know where a couple are for sell in your area - if it is in Tellico.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Are you in TN? If so, I know where a couple are for sell in your area - if it is in Tellico.
    *smile* I'm in SC, but you're right on- the Tellico is my favorite river :) I may make a good excuse to go paddle/gun shop, though- I would be interested to find out more info!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I have a Springfield EMP as well as a Kimber Ultra Carry in .45. While I love my EMP it isn't that much smaller than the Kimber. It is thinner by a hair but not enough to make a huge difference in concealed carry IMHO. So if you really want a .45, there are options out there that will give you the size that you are looking for. As for the EMP, mine has taken everything I have given it. The only problem I have had, was it started failing to lock the slide open after the last round. This started at 600 rounds without any cleaning. I cleaned it and have since not had a problem with it. This makes me concerned about carrying it as an EDC at this point. However, my Ultra Carry had similar problems prior to having 1,000 rounds through it (as well as always keeping it sparkling clean).
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Legends in Athens, TN has one NIB sitting in their case right now. Sweet gun. But being in SC you would have to have it shipped to a FFL - that was my issue being a GA resident.

I love my EMP I tried many different 1911 style pistols and found that while I liked the kinber aegis I love my EMP it is just a little smaller and has a better feel in myhands and I can conceal it no matter what I am wearing.

Sponsored Links