Help Me Choose a Revolver

This is a discussion on Help Me Choose a Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hardly any recoil, decent ballistics (better than .380 or .32 ACP), hard to find ammo, Light (you barely know it is there), 6 shot....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Me Choose a Revolver

32 H&R Magnum

hardly any recoil, decent ballistics (better than .380 or .32 ACP), hard to find ammo, Light (you barely know it is there), 6 shot.

2. Remove Ads

Concealing medium size revolver

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I may go the six gun route......how easy is it to conceal the above mentioned large frame six shot 357's? what holsters do you use and I mostly wear jeans and a t-shirt because I am extremely hot natured, can I still carry a revolver this way?
    I personally find a medium size revolver like my model 66 shown above easier to conceal on the belt than a medium size semiauto (assuming a good OWB holster for each one). I believe the reason for this is the different shape of the revolver and the way it fits against the body when worn on the strong side hip.

A short barrel revolver like the model 66, when worn in a high ride belt holster with forward cant, fits in the natural contours of the average man's waist area. The revolver cylinder, which is the thickest part of the gun, fits just above the belt in the natural hollow of your waist, which is smaller in diameter than your hips or your chest (assuming a man of average and not overweight build). The short barrel of the revolver is very thin compared to a semiauto slide, so it doesn't make much of a "bump" in the area of the belt and just below the belt. And the grip of the revolver is also thinner and more curved than a typical semiauto grip, because it doesn't have to contain a single or double stack magazine full of ammo. So the revolver is less likely to print on the cover garment than a similar size semiauto.

The easier concealment of the revolver in belt carry may not be obvious to those who have only carried semiautos, but I would recommend trying it - you might be pleasantly surprised. Here is a shot from the Galco website of a man carrying a S&W revolver in the Galco Speed Master OWB belt holster, which illustrates my point:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links