Badger vs Eagle grips for SP101

This is a discussion on Badger vs Eagle grips for SP101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need some input from anyone who's had BOTH. I tried the Badger grips on my SP101 and although they looked beautiful, they were just a ...

Thread: Badger vs Eagle grips for SP101

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Need some input from anyone who's had BOTH. I tried the Badger grips on my SP101 and although they looked beautiful, they were just a bit to thick (or fat?) in my hand and the finger grooves were just a hair too far apart. I'm thinking of trying the secret service grips by Eagle grips instead but wanted to know if anyone knew if they were smaller in thickness than the Badger grips. I don't think their wood is as pretty as the Badger but if they're a little smaller I'd like that better. Anyone had both?

God Bless
    Gideon

I like the look of the Eagle Secret Service better that the Badger. Both grips are nice enough of course. Here is a set of Secret Service grips on my S&W.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...3&d=1193109291

Ahrends revolver grips

In addition to Badger and Eagle, another company that makes very nice revolver grips is Ahrends Grips of Iowa. They make both Dymondwood grips (similar to Badger, a laminate of wood and plastic) as well as solid wood grips. I have one pair and they do not seem excessively thick to me. Here is a link to the website:

Ahrends Grips website, revolver page

And here are a couple of pictures from the website of compact revolver grips - first solid cocobolo wood:

And Dymondwood:

Unfortunately Ahrends doesn't make any grips for Rugers', only S&W which is too bad because it looks like they make some really nice grips! I might have to just take the chance and order a pair of the Eagle grips and perhaps I'll call them and check out their return policy. Just wanted to avoid the hassel if someone had owned both.

Thanks for the in put folks!
    God Bless
    Gideon

Surprised about Ahrends and Rugers...

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Unfortunately Ahrends doesn't make any grips for Rugers', only S&W which is too bad because it looks like they make some really nice grips!
    I knew I should have checked the availability list of revolvers on the Ahrends website - I apologize. I just assumed that they would make grips for Rugers, since there are so many Rugers in use.

Not quite what you're describing, but might you have any interest in rubber Hogue grips? I was ok with the factory SP101 grips but I *really* like the Hogue grips I put on mine. Fits my hand like a glove now...

I had a set of Eagle grips on my Sp 101 and they just did not fit right even after I sent them back. The last pair split at the backstrap. Stay away from them on a SP101 but on my S&W, there fine. Steve48

I know it's not part of the OP question, but I tried SEVERAL wood & laminated SP101 grips before I went "ugly" & installed a Hogue Monogrip. I won't be switching back to anything else. The fit, the feel & the recoil absorbtion when shooting full-house, hot .357 mag loads...can't be beat.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I know what you mean about ugly but functional! I currently have a Pachmyr Compac grip on mine. I loved how the stock grips fit but full house .357's were punishing with those. The Pachmyr grips took ALOT of felt recoil out. Now when I shoot .38's (even +P) it's absolutely tame and a real pleasure to shoot and the .357's are no were near as bad.

I wanted wood mainly for carry and looks. I'd be fine shooting .38 with them and a few loads of .357 periodically but I mainly carry .38. I'm planing on having this gun customized by Gemini Customs someday and love how they look with wood. If I could find a black laminate type grip to go with it I think it would be great but I have small hands so that was the reason for the question.

Anyway, thanks for the input. My next choices will be when I get ready to send it off.

a. Do I get the hammer bobbed or not; since it'll be designated for carry I'm leaning towards yes
    b. Do I get the night sight on the front or the gold bead. Again since it's for defense I'm leaning towards the night sight.
    c. Do I get it ported; I think it looks cool and would make shooting the gun even more fun but, again, it's for defense so I'm leaning towards probably not.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!
    God Bless
    Gideon

Links