Anyone else got one of these?

This is a discussion on Anyone else got one of these? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The wife found a Colt Jr (.22 short) in a box of my old gun parts and now wants it for a carry gun. Darn ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else got one of these?

Anyone else got one of these?

The wife found a Colt Jr (.22 short) in a box of my old gun parts and now wants it for a carry gun. Darn thing will fit in my watch pocket, but I have serious doubts about reliability. The old gun didnt have a mag so I ordered one from Numrich. Is this a dependable gun or just a toy? Kinda cute tho.

2. Remove Ads

I'd have some serious reservations about using .22 shorts on people and expecting it to stop a serious threat.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Way too small to use for self defense.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    I would never carry a gun of questionable reliability. And with that tiny caliber, it would be one of those "in the ear, up the nose, in the eye" guns, and I wouldn't be entirely comfortable with that.

There's plenty of guns of more sufficient caliber and reliability that would be better suited for your wife.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

The original mouse gun

The .22 short was first developed in 1857 by Smith & Wesson, using black powder. It was the first American metallic cartridge. The modern version is generally a 29 grain lead bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1045 fps from a 22 inch rifle barrel, giving 70 ft-lbs of energy. I believe the main use is indoor target shooting and hunting small animals like squirrels and rats. Here is a picture of the .22 short on the left, next to a .22 long rifle round:

If you have a reliable small gun that fires the .22 short I suppose you could use it for a deep backup gun, although it wouldn't be my first choice. I would sure never use it for a primary gun, as it is unlikely to stop an attacker. I don't advocate anything less than .38 special for a primary gun, and personally prefer 9mm and up.

So far no one has offered the info I am looking for. Are the little guns RELIABLE? is the question.

The wife and I are both well aware that the .22 short lacks the power to effectively put down a bad guy. She thought the gun "cute" and wants to drop it in her purse. I have already told her that it probably wouldnt stop an attack, but if she put a few of the little bullets under someones hide they would spend some time in the ER getting them dug out.

Thanks anyway guys.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    i did research for about 45 solid minutes. All i could find was a one guy who said he had the .25 version and said for the past couple hundred rounds it was reliable. Take her out to the range (the wife, with the .22 jr) and let us know how she does!
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I cannot comment on the reliability factor but reliable or not if i were a BG & was shot by that there is a good chance i will attempt beat yer a$$ for principle! just cuz it pi$$ed me off!!! I would not even pull that out unless I was cornered. Carrying it & expecting it to do more than pi$$ off a BG she better be able to fight or run and if she can run leave that in her purse..better yet in the gun safe. It is a novelty gun with NO intention of self defense. Just my thoughts on even dreaming of it as a SD gun.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Administrator
    No...it not a toy. I've shot one before.
    As stated above not the very best caliber choice for a self defensive firearm.
    If your Wife will carry it rather than nothing at all then go for it.
    Have her practice close range head shots.
    Give it a real careful cleaning.
    Run some ammunition through it and check it for functional reliability.
    Jardines Extreme is a real nice, slick, lube to use that will stay where you put it. A little goes a long way.
    Recommended - CCI 22 Short - 27 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point is a super reliable .22 Short cartridge.
    Quality control is very high with all CCI Rim~Fire.
    It's super important that you always use best quality Rim~Fire ammo.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

While I agree that .22 S does not a real defensive round make, my wife refuses to carry any thing unless traveling. If your wife will carry this (legally-of course), it is better than nothing! .22 ammo is the ultimate in cheap - so take it to the range and put a few hundred shorts thu it. That will answer the reliability question. Shoot it some yourself - good practice. Maybe your wife will eventually gravitate to something more substantial - like a KT-.32 or a BT .380 She has to start someplace. g
    I.C.E.?? dial 1 911 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    So far no one has offered the info I am looking for. Are the little guns RELIABLE? is the question.
    Mouse guns can be very reliable. However, for your specific handgun, you need to fire it yourself and find out. Glocks may be industry reknowned for being super reliable, but I still didn't start carrying mine until I had a couple hundred of rounds through it.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Yup...get to the range and put some quality ammo through it and spend some time with your better half practicing shooting...then you will know first hand!

I have a close relative who owns a Colt Jr. in .22 short. I would never consider carrying it, nor would I ever recommend to anyone that they do either. I could be biased against it due to very low quality / old ammo, but let me share with you my experiences.

I've fired around 100 rounds through a Colt Jr. in .22 short. Over half of the rounds did not have enough energy to cycle the slide. This rendered the firearm to be a single shot handgun with a manual slide cycle in between half of the time. I was shooting at Mt. Dew pop cans, and some of the rounds fired failed to go through the can. In addition to this, I still have a scar from slide bite that will stay with me for a while. As a side note, I also do not like the manual of arms on this little gun at all.

Could all of this be solved with new high quality ammo? I suppose so, so my distaste for the gun may be unfounded. Either way, I do not trust it, nor do I want to try to make myself trust it. My small gun is a Kahr MK9, and if I want something smaller, I'll get a Keltec.

It really doesn't matter if a particular model is known to be reliable or not. Only you (and Your wife) can determine if that firearm is reliable. Take it to the range and shoot a 300 rounds through it. Then you can answer the questions yourself.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

A couple people mentioned how it might be effective as an "up the nose" sort of gun. Not that I'm really contributing anything insightful here, but with a gun that underpowered you might be better off with a quality knife (and the training that goes with it). There are times I think when the "any gun is better than no gun" thing has its limitations!

Still, it is a cute little bugger, and I'm grateful for this thread making me aware of its existence. But I'd feel a lot safer with something like a KT .32ACP...but that's just my preference for double action in mouseguns.

Also, when looking at the muzzle velocity and energy numbers, unless it was chrono'ed with this gun, its likely that the velocity was measured with a rifle or with a longer barrel pistol or revolver, and one must consider the loss in velocity...making an extremely low energy cartridge even lower. Just something to consider! We all have to make up our own minds on such things.

Cheers!
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links