Reconsidering my glock calibers

This is a discussion on Reconsidering my glock calibers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Try as I may, I have not been able to not like/not shoot well, the glock handgun. Now, I have the 22, 23, 27, 19 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reconsidering my glock calibers

Try as I may, I have not been able to not like/not shoot well, the glock handgun. Now, I have the 22, 23, 27, 19 and a 19 for my wife. I am carrying the 40 and her the 9mm. She does not want to shoot/carry the 40 caliber.

Also, since I now can CCW while archery hunting in PA, I am looking at carrying something for 4-legged predators. That, along with what I have read regarding glock (the 40 cal was based on 9mm and the barrel reamed out. The 45acp based on the 10mm with the barrel reamed out) lead me to think about the 10mm. It would be 10mm v. 357 mag v. 44 mag. I read with hot loads, the 10m would have the same ballistics as 41 mag (between 357 mag and 44 mag).

So, I am thinking about selling my 22, 23 and 27 and buying a 17 and 26 to shoot 9mm. And then buying a glock 20 and 29 in OD green for the 10mm. The 10mm would be for hiking/hunting. The 9mm for general CCW. With this change, I would have to plan on reloading for the 10mm. And reloading would be something I would like to get into.

So, what do you think about having the 9mm glocks for 2-legged predators and the 10mm for 4-legged predators? And totally getting rid of the 40 S&W in my glocks? If I do this, the only 40 I would own would be a H&K P2000.

My head is spinning trying to think about all those glocks!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I don't quite understand why you want to downgrade from .40 to 9mm just because the purpose would be "two-legged predators." Why ditch all the .40s to buy the 10mm and a 9mm, when you can just ditch the 23 and your 19 to be able to get the 10mm? Then the 10mm is for four-leggers and the .40 is for two-leggers.

S&W 500! lol
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

When I got my G23 I couldn't quite "square it up" at first. I actually had to change my grip a little bit and practice to get my rounds COM consistantly.

I now wouldn't switch up sidearms if I don't have to.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I don't quite understand why you want to downgrade from .40 to 9mm just because the purpose would be "two-legged predators." Why ditch all the .40s to buy the 10mm and a 9mm, when you can just ditch the 23 and your 19 to be able to get the 10mm? Then the 10mm is for four-leggers and the .40 is for two-leggers.
    I agree. I say get rid of the 27 and 19 and buy the 10mm. Keep the .40 for the city and the 10mm four the field.

Well, my wife has the 19 (wants nothing to do with 40 cal), and I want our guns to shoot with the same recoil. Plus, I am not convinced that the effectiveness of 40 is really different than 9mm. Plus, I do not want either of us to get the 9 and 40 mags confused. Plus, the 40 glock was built off the 9 platform. I would think 9 would be less troublesome. Those are the reasons to to to 9.

Now, the full power 10mm round seems to fall somewhere between 357 mag and 44 mag. I can use it when I am out hunting. Plus the 10mm glock was not a different caliber converted to 10mm.

And if I want the power of a 40, I can carry the 10mm with low powered rounds.

JD
    Administrator

Lightbulb By golly I think I've got it!

Here's a tought, get the 10mm put in a .40 barrel and keep both calibers on hand. If you want to carry .40 you can still carry the .40, and switch back to 10mm or even .357 Sig if you so desire.

OR

Carry the 9mm so you and your wife are carrying the same ammo and as you stated not have to worry about the mags getting mixed up, just keep the 10mm mags seperate when not in use.

You can reload .40S&W 135gr rounds that have the same ballistics as .357 mag (~1400fps in 135gr vs 1400ish fps in 125gr). Might be something to consider for predators and not have to buy another pistol caliber. I'd say it depends on what predators you think you might run into. Although some people consider .357 mag sufficient for smaller bears.

However, getting more guns is always fun. :)
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

wow, if you ever have a problem with having too many Glocks please think of me and remember that Christmas IS coming around :)
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

JD - Great idea for a 40 barrel, I never thought of that. That adds to the reasons for me to sell my 40 cal glocks, get the 26 and 17 (to have the full line of 9mm). and then buy the 10mm glocks and 40 cal barrels for them. The 10mm glocks would be OD green.

SammyIamToday - I like that thought of magnum power in an autoloader with 15 + 1 capacity.

Duisburg - I'll never have any problem with too many glocks. ;^}

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    SammyIamToday - I like that thought of magnum power in an autoloader with 15 + 1 capacity.
    You and me both! You have to get an aftermarket barrel with a supported chamber to be safe though. When I saw that on some reloading charts, I was amazed. I didn't think the .40S&W could get that kind of ballistics.

You still can't break 10mm power, but you get a compact handgun with good capacity. And some reloading stuff and a new barrel still runs less than a new pistol.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

If you have the money, make yourself happy. Otherwise, having the "full line" of Glocks simply means you have to buy more model-specific mags, unless you plan on consistantly using the 17 mags for the 19 and 26 also.

Same on the caliber issue- if you are looking to stop any 4 legged agressor, a .44 mag with Barnes 300 gr hunting loads is really hard to match. Equally, while I love Glocks, I am of the firm opinion that calibers other than 9mm get into "iffy", particularly when you start using high power "game" loads or different barrels. Just me, though- I also wouldn't own a Beretta 92 or BHP in a cal other than 9.

Mentioning your wife's needs would indicate you're seriously considering the home battery situation. If so, if that is a real concern, stick with it. Is she more comfortable with the 19 than either a 17 or 26? If so, I would suggest another 19, possibly 2. If one goes TU, its nice to be able to have the same feel, and use all of the same parts and accessories.

People love variety. Unless your budget is close to unlimited however, being staid and dull will serve you best in the eventuality that the Hildebeast wins in '08.

Being totally honest, 15-17 rounds of 9mm Hirtenberger ball (1600 FPS), or even WWB, will be fairly dissuasive to pretty much anything- just plan on a mag dump.

Is it a "collection" or mostly a "practicality" decision, and what is you budget, vis a vis your stock of ammunition, mags and parts...?

BAC
    Call me dumb but why use a .40 S&W against people as opposed to a 10mm? I was under the impression that the 10mm was the more powerful round, since it's the same caliber but with more "umph" behind it. So what am I missing?

-B

JD
    Administrator

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Call me dumb but why use a .40 S&W against people as opposed to a 10mm? I was under the impression that the 10mm was the more powerful round, since it's the same caliber but with more "umph" behind it. So what am I missing?

-B
    Google Mr. Fish and 10mm...

The firearms investigator said that Fishs gun a 10mm is more powerful than what police officers use and is not typically used for personal protection. And the ammunition Fish used to shoot Kuenzli three times, called a hollow-point bullet, is made to expand when it enters the body.

When he decided to pull the trigger, the prosecutor said, Fish should have known what the consequences would be.

Lessler: Mr. Fish knew well what a hollow-point bullet does.

Larson: And the end product of his shooting is going to be death?

Lessler: Yes.
    It's a load of BS but it happened.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links