1911 CCW Trigger Questions

This is a discussion on 1911 CCW Trigger Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys- Thanks to this forum, I have decided on my first two carry guns. I am going to be purchasing a J-Frame for pocket ...

Thread: 1911 CCW Trigger Questions

1911 CCW Trigger Questions

Hey guys-

Thanks to this forum, I have decided on my first two carry guns.

I am going to be purchasing a J-Frame for pocket carry sometimes.

I am also going to pick up a commander 1911, but what I was wondering is how do you guys who carry a 1911 feel about the single action trigger, I know this attributes to good accuracy, but in a defensive situation and possible losses in fine motor skills do you feel like you may pull the trigger before you mean to?

Thanks Guys,
    Josh

2. Remove Ads

Not with good practice. When the poop hits the fan blades you will resort to how you train. Train well and it will pay well. It can be done with several different platforms. SA, DAO, SA DA, and on and on but you pick the one that works best for you and drill it into your brain.

My next door neighbor is a retired LEO firearms instructor who worked in his dept during the transition from 1911's to Glocks. In the pre Glock period he was an instructor for 5 years they had 0 ND's. In the next two years they had three ND's with the Glocks. Not making any judgements here or knocking Glocks but he felt the Glock platform required more training for routine handling and the force wasn't getting it.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Delay putting finger on trigger...

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    I am also going to pick up a commander 1911, but what I was wondering is how do you guys who carry a 1911 feel about the single action trigger, I know this attributes to good accuracy, but in a defensive situation and possible losses in fine motor skills do you feel like you may pull the trigger before you mean to?
    One of the standard rules of defensive use of a handgun is to delay placing your finger on the trigger until your gun is pointed at the target and you have mentally decided that you want to shoot.

I realize that this may seem a little slower and less efficient than putting your finger on the trigger the instant your gun clears the holster, but it is much safer and you are less likely to shoot yourself in the leg, or trigger the shot prematurely and miss the target entirely. It takes some practice to master this, with a 1911 or any other gun.

If you insist on putting your finger on the trigger early in your draw, you are probably better off with a revolver having a 10 pound trigger requiring a long stroke than a 1911 having a 4.5 pound trigger requiring a short stroke.

Ok guys thanks for the advice I feel confident with training that I can become profficient and comfortable carrying the 1911, I plan on taking a few of the one on one concealed carry classes offered in my area.

VIP Member
    You can indeed become safe with any trigger configuration, and it doesn't really come from classes/training. You know the safety rules now, what you need to do is completely internalize them...repeat them in your head as a mantra, explain to yourself (mentally! ) why you are performing each action each time you do it, until it is absolutely ingrained. No modern pistol design is inherently unsafe, and all are served by simply keeping your finger out of the trigger well and off of the trigger until you are ready to fire. The rest is up to you...

And make sure you post some pics/range reports when you get your new pistols!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Practice and it's not any more dangerous than anything else in life.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

i agree with everyone else. its a gun. its dangerous.
    you really shouldnt be pointing it at someone you are not willing to shoot!
    and yes, you can control yourself. i cant think of a case where you would be pointing a gun at someone and not want your finger in the trigger guard, but i can stick my finger on the trigger and make myself shake more than anything without firing the gun quite easily.
    i have a 1911 which i can conceal quite well, but i also have a Ti snubby avaliable which is way more concealable and light wt, but i will haul around my 1911 any day before carrying that one (its my fiance's btw)
    not because i dont trust it or anything, but because i am very accurate with my 1911, and anytime i get a double action gun in my hands my groupings double in size. and shot placement is everything

The trigger is great. It's the main reason the 1911 is still around.

Training is the key. Do not even remotely think of putting your finger anywhere near the trigger guard unless you are going to make a loud noise. Period. The same rules apply to the snubby. Just because it has a heavier pull doesn't mean you can get complacent with gun handling.

FWIW, my 1911 carry gun has a 3# smooth as glass trigger pull.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Booger Hook off the bang switch is a mantra for any single action, and dammed good advise for any handgun .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Links