Opinions on laser equipped guns

This is a discussion on Opinions on laser equipped guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering what the members of this forum thought of installing lasers on their ccw's? Do you believe (as I do) the laser is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on laser equipped guns

I was wondering what the members of this forum thought of installing lasers on their ccw's? Do you believe (as I do) the laser is another line of defense prior to having to use deadly force? Or do you believe the installation of such a product puts you at risk of being accused by an overzealous prosecuting attorney of "Rambo"izing your weapon? What are your thoughts? Moondo

I am not a big fan of lasers. I tried it and I spent more time trying to get that little dot exactly where i wanted it, then I normally would simply aiming and firing. Self defense shootings happen in a blink of an eye. Simply aim for center mass, and you are good. A laser is a fun toy, and looks cool on TV, but in my opinion, simply not practical in a self defense situation. There's a reason why most law enforcement agencies don't use lasers, some do, but the vast majority don't. I suppose putting a laser on somebody as a warning would be good for scaring the hell out of a bg and making him think twice before doing anything, but to use it for actually aiming during a shooting, I doubt it would do any good. A laser is simlpy one more thing that can fail to operate in a bad situation. Would suck to practice with a laser, then have it crap out on you when it's needed the most. Back in '97 the nypd transit tried lasers with their police. After a test phase, the lasers being tested were withdrawn and they were never issued any. Makes a heck of a talkdown/persuader tool though as long as you have time to talk to the bg.

Not completely against, but unless i already had enough $$ for all the practice ammo and range time I wanted, I wouldn't buy one. I think it would tend to keep you focusing on keeping the dot on the threat, rather than on what the threat is doing. It could also cause you a moment of confusion if it didn't come on. You'd (I would, anyway) likely be distracted just for a moment wondering what is wrong. That moment could give the BG an edge. I'd rather keep the accessories down to a minimum. Every accessory add variable and you must spend the time to train for those variables. I don't feel I have enough time and money to practice just with my primary carry weapon/holster/dress.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum, Moondo.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I would get one for each of my carry guns if I could afford them.

I would not get them for my target guns.

I would not rely on anything electrical to save my life.

I would use them regularly for self defence training.

a draw back that I see ;is that you set the laser up at a distance that you want make a hole.

so if you consistantly put a hole in the paper where the dot is, say ..22 feet. Then what's gonna happen when your bad guy is at 46 feet or 12 feet? and you need to make a hole in him/her.

they are a useful training tool,and may be great for a limited number of SD scenarios, but there are limitations.
    Guns don't kill people , compounded interest kills people

Senior Moderator
    Ive got a Laseraim on my Glock 21.

While its not a cure for poor handling skills of a pistol, it can be a definate asset to have.

At the usual self defense ranges, misalignment at a longer range isnt really an issue. You'll just shoot a bit high or low, but you still hit a human which is a long target.

If you want one, get it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've been borderline on the issue. Here are some of the arguments I've heard against it. First, and this is much less an issue for self defense, but if you have multiple individuals with weapons like a tactical team, you could very easily get confused as to whose dot is whose. Second, I have heard detractors talk about how it trains people out of good aiming discipline, with people learning to "walk" their gun onto target instead of simply aiming. I can understand how this could sometimes be considered a bad habit because the shooters visual focus might be drawn to the red dot, not to the target, and so the eyes would leave the target to follow the dot downrange and then walk it onto the target. Third, and this is a minor niggle, but for some forms of lasers it will limit your holster choice considerably. And lastly, this is the major one for me, I just don't like depending on a battery if I can avoid it. Even aside from worrying about battery levels, I don't like adding electronics to a gun because they can fail.

OK, in full disclosure, I put one on my airsoft AR-15, and it is a lot of fun! :D
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

I know not every situation will be the same for everybody. According to Minnesota law I must prove to a court, that I tried to avoid and "distance" myself from the situation. That to me says, that they (the lawmakers) are assuming that there will be time in a conflict to hold some sort of conversation.

My question is, do you think having a laser on your ccw can deter the BG without the use deadly force? Or do the members think that the risk of being accused by a prosecuting attorney isn't worth installing one?

I have lasers on my ccw's and I believe they should NEVER take the place of regular sights and range time.

Administrator
    They are a Godsend for persons with vision related problems. For that reason they have a goodly amount of merit.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

As I've gotten older my eyesight has changed like most folks' do. I wear one contact in my right eye for distance. My left eye is contact free for reading and other up close visual purposes. That means to focus on my front sight I have to use my left eye and now the target is blurry. With my Armalaser I can focus on the target and see where I am aiming without squinting. (Come on. You know you do.) I decide when to activate because it only comes on when either my finger is in the trigger guard, or I've activated it with my weak hand thumb. So I'm not "walking" the dot to the target.

A number of holster makers will make a rig for laser equipped guns. I have two on the way from K&D right now for P3AT and PF9 equipped with Armalasers. I found my Desantis Nemesis works well with the stitching removed.

They may not be for everyone but I like using current technology. It works for me!

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    My wife has very poor vision in one eye, and so-so in the other. For that reason her SP101 will be getting the CTC grips after the holidays.

YMMV,

Mike

Is the question whether I think they are cool? because yes they are cool. do I use one? no, simply because I've learned to point shoot, and I don't want to be thinking about the little red dot or whether my laser is working. For use on a home protection handgun or shotgun, it would be nice as you might be able to take a little more time, turn the laser on and investigate...just my thoughts.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Most people seem to have a love/hate relationship with lasers. Most that have a good one (and use them properly) love them while I've noticed the laser haters usually have never owned one or had a bad experience with an early or cheap model.

Personally, I think lasers are an OUTSTANDING aid to any pistol. So do the military and many police departments. If it's for a self-defense/CC handgun, I'd recommend something like the Lasermax or Crimson Trace lasers if there is one that fits your gun. They doen't change the outline and overall look of the pistol so there is no problem with using you normal holster. If there isn't a custom laser made for your gun, try to get the smallest one that will fit your gun and is still a quality laser. Lasermax makes some very good, universal small lasers

Since most self-defense shooting takes place at close range and under darkened conditions (at night or inside a building or other structure) being able to see it is not aa real concern. As someone else said, don't put all your faith in the laser or any other "gaget" and learn to use your weapon and the sights it came with. However, lasers do make aiming and finding your target easier, are an excellent training aid and provide another layer to your protection package.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

i have one for my carry gun and thing it was well worth the money.
    they are no replacement for sights, but they have their uses.
    first is just general training. can be used as a training aid with a veriety of uses. not good to teach people on, but good as a check to make sure that their problem isnt lighting the sights up incorrectly.
    as far as self defense goes i would say the main reason for them is to make the bad guy think twice. theres just something about seeing a red dot on your chest. also its a very good backup sight. if for some reason you dont have time to bring your gun up, you can use to to shoot from the hip, or if you have eye problems, etc.
    like i said, i would never ever rely on one, but its good to have
    especially grip activated ones.

Administrator
    I'm on the other end.... I despise lasers. I've trained hundreds if not thousands of people in S/D pistol shooting, and not once do they do anything other than slow people down or make them lazy shooters. Poor eyesight is an argument not to use a laser.
    Oh yeah, for what they are and what the cost to make, they are a total rip off too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links