Help me decide which gun to buy. - Page 2

Help me decide which gun to buy.

This is a discussion on Help me decide which gun to buy. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bud White Just cause the carry it dont mean they like it nor trust it many departments you are stuck with what ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me decide which gun to buy.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Just cause the carry it dont mean they like it nor trust it many departments you are stuck with what they issue like my local one here most of the guys used to carry 1911's and the ladys wheelies now std issue is the glock and most dont like it
    I agree with ya Bud
    Most Departments, as in the past , and I'm talking a LONG time, is the "Bottom Line" PDs need to be within a budget, and they usually go with what they can get for the least amount of money..When the Glock 17 came out, the LEO price was about 217.00 due to their no tax status. Now, phase in the quantity discount for the weapon, and the equipment that's usually handed with the weapon, and they have a great package price. Add in the fact that most City Officials , selectmen, and Mayors oversee theh Buget, the PDs are basically handed the plan for what they are to carry, due to the "bottom Line" again.
    I know a lot of guys (and Ladies) that would much rather carry their own personal weapon, verses the Glock they were issued. Some would even carry their wheelies over the Glock, especially if they didn't have a semi auto gun. I'm NOT bashing the Glock here, but pointing out that due to the "Bottom Line" and the fact that they work considerably well, that is why you see a lot of Glocks out there
    I think if you look at NYPD, you'll see a lot Officers still toting wheelies.
    The 1911 has been battle tested, and is still a preferred side arm of most speacial forces personel.
    Phil? ADCO in Woburn Ma has a TT45 (looks like a CZ) in 45ACP.. it's imported and has a Polymar frame. I have a friend of mine, who's a FFL holder, and sells a LOT of them for well under 500.00 NEW...
    Here's the artical link: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...0/ai_112646114

Administrator

Thumbs up Glock 36

Nobody Said The Stubby Little Mini Glock 36 ?
    Big Hole ~ Little Gun ~ Super Reliable
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thumbs up Looking for a new gun? Me, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore
    Help me decide on a new gun. Something in the five hundred dollar range would be ideal, but I'll go a little higher if I have to.

I'm interested in maybe a .45, something handy for self-defense with good power. I dunno, though. Field's pretty wide open.
    I'm in EXACTLY the same situation. I'm still doing research for my next 45 and my $$$ tolerance is a bit wider than yours, I can go all the way up to about $1100 total. Still the Magnum Research Baby Eagle .45ACP comes in right at $499 retail and you might do better than that at a gun show. I've heard a lot of good reports on them so I'm considering that.

I'm also looking at a ParaOrdnance TAC-4 LDA. The bad reports on the PO line seem to all be concerning 1911 designs with less than four inch barrels. This applies, in MY case, to all brands and makes. 1911s with a sub-4 inch barrel seems to have terrible problems with FTF's and FTE's. So I'm willing to give PO another chance with a Commander length slide. Hi-Cap is a bonus. My Colt Combat Commander has NEVER let me down. But my Colt Officer's Model was a POS.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Cool Used Sigs?

Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    There are plenty of nice "used" Sigs around here in that price range.
    I picked up a used Sig P245 in trade for my POS P10 "Jam-A-Matic" + (get this) $100. Best deal I EVER made and I made certain to tell the dealer the problems I was having with the P10 just so he KNEW I was trading a Lemon. The P245 has become one of my primary carry guns around town. Slides into a Blade Tec IWB and it disappears even in the hot weather of south Florida. So comfortable, I have been known to fall asleep (still wearing the gun IWB) in front of the TV after coming home from dinner with the wife.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Unhappy Glock 36? Not for me....

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I loved my Glock M30 and my Glock M21 in 45 but they were too blocky in my hands. Felt like a 2x4. The Glock 36 also has ergonomic problems for me. My feeling is that for a six round magazine, I'd rather stay with my Sig P245 that feels like Excalibur must have felt to the boy King.

My Glock M27 is currently my primary carry gun and I especially like it when matched with the hi-cap M22 mags and those nifty little plastic spacers that make the grips seamless. So I carry the std 9rd mag in the gun for concealability and two M22 mags as backup. That, right there gives me 40rds ready to launch. It's not a 45, but it's almost as good.

A TAC-4 (with 2 sp mags) would give me 40 rounds but at a bit more extra weight. However, the various holsters I have to accomodate a M1911 would tend to mitigate or offset this. I can spread the weight over my entire body with a shoulder holster by Sam Andrews: http://www.andrewsleather.com (in cooler weather) or an IWB McDaniels II also by Sam Andrews in warmer weather or even in a belly bag for TEXAS weather.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Phil:
    spend some time at a crowded range. Look , touch (if you ask nice usually the shooter let you try out) ask questions. You're going too fast.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I know exactly what Ya maen QK.. The 36 might be a good choice...remember now......I have a 26 because the price was right.. the G30 is blocky (2x4 feel) the 36 might be a better choice.I saw one of those SA GI 3inch 45s.they look real good.....also the XD either in a 9mm or 40 cal might be up Phil's path.....gotta look, feel, touch, and hopfully shoot a few to find out what is best My previous post reflected the cost of the Glocks for LEOs and similar..some of em love the Glocks.oithers don't..personal preference I guess. and what the Depts will allow them to carry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links