Back to Square One

Back to Square One

This is a discussion on Back to Square One within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys well after research my head is spinning, I have held and shot many pistols recommended here and else where.....I have went from a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to Square One

Back to Square One

Ok guys well after research my head is spinning, I have held and shot many pistols recommended here and else where.....I have went from a full size 1911 to a pocket J-Frame and back again........

So let me give you my requirements and out of the guns I have seen and shot and your recommendations I can make a decision......

So here's the requirement list.

45ACP, this is a must to me......I wouldnt trust my life to much less.

Atleast 6+1 capacity

Easily concealable, I am 5'-10" and 245 pounds, not fat but some gut, it's growing away slowly....

I wear t-shirts or polo's with jeans most days and am very hot natured so A cover wouldnt be very comfortable for me.....I know you have to dress around the gun but would prefer to just get a larger size shirt

So there you go an easily concealable 45 to wear under a t-shirt and jeans easy right

It was also recommended that I look at a .40 high capacity gun.....
    I've never shot a .40 put I have heard the recoil is quite snappy, I love shooting 45's so I dont know how the 40 really is, I cant find one to borrow, or shoot, there arent any rental ranges close by.

What do you guys think?

Josh

S&W Chief's Special .45 23 oz. (cs45) or cs40.

wyo-man
    Last edited by wyo-man; November 17th, 2007 at 05:05 PM.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Glock 36 (single stack)

SIG P245 (or the new P220 compact)

Another vote for the CS45

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Kahr TP45
    about 22 ounces with an empty magazine....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

If you will consider .40 caliber polymer...

Given your mode of dress, it appears that you want something pretty compact for easy concealment on your belt under a T shirt or similar shirt worn untucked. And you seem willing to consider a compact .40 caliber gun as well as .45.

I think an advantage of the .40 might be that it gives you larger magazine capacity in general, and probably has just as much effect on a target as the .45. And I personally believe the recoil is not that different than a .45 in a similar gun, especially if you are using the lighter, faster .45 ammo such as 185 grain products.

So I have two suggestions for you in compact, polymer frame .40 caliber guns. The first is the H&K P2000sk model, which has a 3.27 inch barrel, a 9 round magazine, and weighs 24 ounces empty. I have the very similar USP 40c model, and it is an easy gun to shoot which never fails to fire. The P2000sk is slightly smaller and trimmer than the USP, and more easily concealed.

My other suggestion is the similar S&W M&P compact in .40, which is a new gun that has received excellent reviews. This gun has a 3.5 inch barrel, a 10 round magazine, and weighs 24 ounces.

JD
    Administrator
    In .45ACP

Kahr PM45
    Colt Defender,
    Sig 220 Compact
    Glock 36
    Les Baer Stinger
    Kimber Compact or Ultra

In .40

As stated above M&Pc or P2000SK.

I had thought about picking up a M&P compact 40 but was concerned about recoil i have heard they can be quite snappy, but I dont see how it could be any worse than defensive 45 rounds.....

I wouldnt consider myself very recoil sensitive anyway......I enjoy shooting 44 mags out of my 4 5/8 Ruger Vaquero......

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    I had thought about picking up a M&P compact 40 but was concerned about recoil i have heard they can be quite snappy, but I dont see how it could be any worse than defensive 45 rounds.....

I wouldnt consider myself very recoil sensitive anyway......I enjoy shooting 44 mags out of my 4 5/8 Ruger Vaquero......
    Dont let recoil decide for you... its all mind over matter.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The Glock 36 in single stack .45 is really hard to beat.

It conceals as well as my Kahr PM40 with the advantage of a more effective caliber.

When you increase capasity, you lose "flatness" for concealability.

I have similar requirements as you've described and settled on the Glock 29 in 10mm.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

I have been carring a Kimber Ultra Ten for 3 years. I carry in a M-tac IWB that you can tuck your shirt if you wish. It works so well that I got the same holsters for Sig-245 and Glock-21 they all cover up well.

VIP Member
    I sure like the glock 36..

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    I think you are right. You can estimate recoil by dividing bullet momentum (bullet mass times muzzle velocity) by the mass of the gun. Let's say you were shooting the two Remington defensive loads below, in .40 and .45 calibers, from the fairly equal size Glock 23 and Glock 30 (numbers from Remington website):

Remington 180 grain .40 caliber Golden Saber - muzzle velocity of 1015 fps from 4 inch test barrel.

Remington 185 grain .45 caliber Golden Saber - muzzle velocity of 1015 fps from 4 inch test barrel.

You have two bullets of almost equal weight coming out of the muzzle at exactly equal velocities. Since both Glocks weigh about 24 ounces, I think the recoil would be almost identical.

what about a 240 grain .45 going at 800 fps compared to a 180 grain .40 going at 1015 fps?

And I carry a full size kimber in a VM2 holster with no problem.

Eric

Sounds like you should at least consider a 1911 in some comfiguartion. Personally, I'd recommend a Colt Commander or SA Champion either in stainless or lightweight depending on how much weight you prefer. There's also the Colt Defender and SA Ultra Compact (3.5") that might suit your needs.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links