Gun Snob????

Gun Snob????

This is a discussion on Gun Snob???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was out of state, on business last week. I had some time on my hands, so I decided to stop into a local gunshop ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun Snob????

Gun Snob????

I was out of state, on business last week. I had some time on my hands, so I decided to stop into a local gunshop and look around. I noticed they had three of the new Taurus 1911's, I asked the guy at the counter if I could look at one, he stated, "sure, but if you want a real 1911 you should be looking at Kimber, Colt, etc......." I just thought, you know, some of us don't have $1000 to plop down on a gun. I wish I did, I'd love to own a Kimber or 10 I just don't have the funds to do so. I don't understand, why some people think, because the weapon didn't cost an arm and a leg, it's worthless. I only own two handguns, right now, both would probably considered in the "cheap" category, one is a Taurus PT-145, the other is a Bersa Thunder .380. Both do what they were made to do, they go bang, everytime and I trust my life with both of them. That's all that should matter IMHO. Sorry about the rant, but if a $300 gun works for you and meets your needs, what gives someone the right, to criticize you for that.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

I've alway's owned lower end guns and particularlly, the two you have mentioned (Taurus pt145 gen3, Bersa Thunder .380). Both shot accuratelly with thousands of rounds through both, without a hitch. I loved both. If u listen to snobs, snot is what u get.
    Last edited by snub41; November 17th, 2007 at 05:45 PM. Reason: to specify particular firearms

JD
    Administrator
    Everyone has their opinions it's just a shame they can't keep it to themselves sometimes.

Persoanlly I think he was trying to talk you into something more pricey, just to make more money, it's a double edged sword, some people will buy into it to "save face" (keep ego intact) or do what you did and leave empty handed.

Personally I'd rather not give advice without being asked.

i have actually only heard good things about the taurus 1911,i think some of it is just a status thing. imo, kimbers are overrated and HKs are overpriced. although i do prefer quality guns, mine are sig,XD,&springfield mil spec 1911
    Last edited by stormbringerr; November 18th, 2007 at 11:58 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

In my arsenal of S&Ws, Rugers, XD and Beretta, I also have a Taurus 24/7 Pro and a Taurus 617. I have had no trouble from either Taurus. Can't speak for others but Untill my 2 Tauruses do me wrong I have to give them a good mark. Actually I have heard plenty of good comment about the 1911s.

VIP Member
    Nobody should critisize you for legally taking charge of you and your familys personal protection by what means you have or are able to fund...
    don't pay any attention to someone who tries this on you by the firearms you own or look at....they don't matter..

He's probably just trying to upsell you. Though I understand where you are coming from and sometimes people should just stfu.

I want a 1911 :(

Administrator
    I'm a gun snob... and proud of it. I like what I like, what can I say?
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am a gun snob in a sense . I tend to own the best gun for the use i will put it to . Be it an hk p7 , colt 1911 , kahr p series , ect.. The best gun however has little to do with price since one of my " Best guns " is a little kel tec p3at . I select on the basis of ergonomics , formfactor , reliability , accuracy and finaly the largest caliber that fits the chosen niche the gun will occupy . If its a $200 p3at that is fine , and if its a 1,000 kimber or colt well that is fine too . I have not seen the taurus in the flesh but suspect i would own it before many of the semicustoms i have seen as well as some of the big name factory offerings. So be a gun snob, Take pride in owning what is best for you with all the circumstances factored in . When i was younger and broker i selected guns based on price , now i select them on what fills my needs knowing that we wont miss any meals due to the price of the gun .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Gun Store Commandos are a constant source of amusement for me. Sometimes, it's fun to call them on their game and watch them get flustered. Naturally, this guy was probably trying to "sell you up". If you had pressed him for details, he would have stuck with broad generalizations
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

HKR
    I have a friend that has an $1000 Kimber who never shoots. Another friend had a Rossi .38 for a long time, shot every other weekend and always had it within reach. He gave $100 dollar bill for it. He recently spent $200 on a barely used Ruger 9mm. Is he worse off than friend A with the $1K paperweight? I think not.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    $85 used sigma 9v. Flawless... so far. Got it from a good friend tho.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by nvsble View Post
    I have a friend that has an $1000 Kimber who never shoots. Another friend had a Rossi .38 for a long time, shot every other weekend and always had it within reach. He gave $100 dollar bill for it. He recently spent $200 on a barely used Ruger 9mm. Is he worse off than friend A with the $1K paperweight? I think not.
    The gun doesn't shoot? Or the person doesn't shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm a gun snob... and proud of it. I like what I like, what can I say?
    I like what I like also, unfortunately I have to settle for what I can afford. Does that make my life and others worth less???
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

High end guns can be great but I've seen some that I wouldn't trust my or my families life to. Kimber quality control lately has taken a hit and I've heard quite a few complaints. Often the real tight accurate high end guns can be just too tight for consistant reliability. You might have to shoot an awful lot of rounds to get them to the point to where they can be trusted. I've got 2 custom 1911s and had some problems. My 2, cheap Kel-Tec P3ATs and my Bersa Thunder380 CC never messed up. I've also got one of the less expensive Sig Pro .40 and It's never had any malfunction. The same for my Baby Eagle .40. I wouldn't trade either one of them for my John Lawson 1911s. Yet the Lawson's guns are 2 or 3 times the price of the Eagle or Sig.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links