New Gun: S&W 915

This is a discussion on New Gun: S&W 915 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just purchased an unfired NIB S&W 915 (9mm semi-auto, 15+1, aluminum frame, DA/SA) with three clips and a bunch of ammo for $250 from a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gun: S&W 915

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

New Gun: S&W 915

Just purchased an unfired NIB S&W 915 (9mm semi-auto, 15+1, aluminum frame, DA/SA) with three clips and a bunch of ammo for $250 from a friend. I'm pleased as punch with the purchase, and was happily carrying this on a trip to the store this evening... in my inside left jacket pocket since I have no holster for it yet. Who should I meet there but one of the higher-ranking detectives in my county, who came over and shook my hand in greeting. All the while I'm worried about the grip being visible or it falling out or his having x-ray vision... I have a permit, he's a good old boy (we used to rent from his dad) and all would have been well - though he would have razzed me, I'm sure - but it helped me to realize that I really need a decent holster for it. Not to mention the jacket was pretty droopy on my left side! Give me credit, though, for not blabbing, "Dude, I just gotta new gun - wannaseeit?"

Question: This gun has a blued finish. Seems I should do whatever it takes to get a holster/carry system which prevents skin or perspiration contact, right?

Photos to follow; thanks for your advice!
    Last edited by Paymeister; November 17th, 2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: moved holster questions to holster thread

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'm glad you went ahead and got it. I think its a good gun at a good price, I'm sure it will serve you well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Congrats! I'm a big fan of the S&W autos and it sounds like you got a great deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Of course you're right, you need a good holster ASAP and you should have no problem finding one for that model. It's true the blue finish is more prone to corrosion than stainless or a plated gun, but if you're careful with the gun there's no reason why you can't maintain the finish in good condition. I've carried more blued guns than anything else in my 20 years of carry and never had a serious problem.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Thanks for the encouragement - here's another question: Should I strip, degrease, and relube, or just start shooting? Or something else? I really don't think it has ever been fired. Note: it was a new gun in 1993 or so, if that makes a difference.

Administrator
    I'd just give it a good cleaning... and shoot away.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Take that puppy down and clean it up ...then comes the fun....shoot,shoot and shoot!

Congratulations, sounds like a good deal. Lube and shoot it. Then photos and range report.

wyo-man

Where's the pictures, where's the pictures, I wanna see

Seriously sounds like you got a great deal, it's nice to have friends.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

Click on photos to get a larger version if you wish (but the files are huge):

...range report to follow...
    Last edited by Paymeister; November 18th, 2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: (formatting)

Sweet. Does he have another?

Looks a lot like my S&W Model 59. I appreciate the DA/SA trigger also. After the first strong pull, it's a hair trigger. Does yours half-cock?

Well... he DID have another, but sold it already. I came in a little late. In the future, I'll do my homework and get you guys in on my deals, too. No half-cock, so far as I can tell. This was their 'no frills' version of the 59, by the way.

I was surprised at how nicely it shoots. No recoil to speak of, and here are five shots at eight yards (that's how far the fence is from the back door):

It looks like more than five rounds, but close inspection suggests a tear above the lowest shot. I recognize, of course, that good shooters do this at 25 yards, but I'm pretty new at this and was quite pleased. This was after breakdown & lube, then three clips. No failures to feed using FMJ Pellier & Bellot and Wolf ammo. I plan on carrying Corbon, of course... but just got the gun last night.

And I cleaned it right away! Oh, what a good boy am I!
    Last edited by Paymeister; November 18th, 2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: forgot to answer question

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    ...that's how far the fence is from the back door...
    Um, that's the chickenwire fence between the yard and flower garden, with a tall hillside behind the fence, in case you were worried.

You've got a nice carry combination now: an auto with spare mags, and a quality revolver.

I'm not sure of the details of your hammer, or of what carry condition options you have ref the decocker/safety/hammer. My 59 half-cocks, so I prefer to carry it that way with the decocker off. If yours doesn't half-cock, I wonder if it is considered safe to carry with the decocker off and hammer down. I don't know anything about your specific model, I'm just thinking out loud.

I was drooling over a 3913 in the store the other day, but it didn't half-cock either, so I'm not sure how the best way to carry it would be. Oh well, it's 4th on my list of must-have guns, so I have some time to research it.

Congrats on your find.

Nice shooting.

This is a third-generation SW pistol, with a safety feature of some sort which keeps the firing pin from moving if it is dropped. Thus a chambered round is OK for carry. The hammer decocks on initial chambering, and can be decocked with the safety if one so desires (you know, after shooting four bad guys and having the fifth spread-eagled on the floor - wouldn't want to pop him by accident). The safety is not just a decocker - it locks things up altogether. So for the hold-him-til-the-cops-arrive situation, one would want to take it OFF safety as soon as the hammer was decocked.

I'm not sure how I want to carry. With the DA first shot (a shell chambered, but hammer down and safety off), it would seem equivalent to my snubbie: pull the trigger and it will go "bang"; so long as I don't pocket carry with keys to pull the trigger for me, I would think this would be OK. I'm not sure I'm gutsy enough for the cocked-and-locked 1911 style carry, and think that a DA trigger would go over better with the Monday morning Grand Jury. Thoughts?

Congrats on your 915, great, and underated pistol.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but from the photos you posted, it appears your 915 was upgraded with a newer rear sight. It appears to be from the later 910 model, very nice upgrade.

The 915, and indeed all 3rd generation S&W semi autos are completely safe to carry with a round in the chamber, and the hammer decocked/safety off. The firing pin safety will not allow the firing pin to move, until the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear.

I carry my 3913 this way daily. Enjoy your 915, it's a beauty. Regards 18DAI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links