SIG Short Trigger

SIG Short Trigger

This is a discussion on SIG Short Trigger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here have any experience with the SIG short trigger (not the same as SRT)? I have a 229 which I absolutely love but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIG Short Trigger

SIG Short Trigger

Does anyone here have any experience with the SIG short trigger (not the same as SRT)? I have a 229 which I absolutely love but when in DA, I have to adjust my grip a little too much just to be able to reach the trigger. I have small hands and am considering having a SIG short trigger installed. Any opinions would certainly help!

1. Not sure you'd feel that much difference. I did it to my P239 because I wanted a nickel colored trigger to match the pistol. I did it fairly early in my SIG's life with me, so I didn't have much time to compare.

2. Do it yourself. Its a simple drop-in. $35 from Brownell's I think. Although I may have ordered it direct from SIG.

3. Take a look at http://sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=674608412 for all your SIG questions. Here too of course, but you can probably find some reviews over there.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Administrator
    Prawls covered it pretty good. I have lots of Sigs, but none with a short trigger. I'd say for the cost of the mod, I'd give it a try. You have nothing to loose.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I put off buying a P229 for years, in spite of the grip fit and pointability being perfect for me, until I got to handle one with a short trigger. I have now been carrying that P229R DAK for three years as a duty pistol. Just last week, I ordered a TJ Custom trigger from Brownells, and installed in in a nice pre-owned DA/SA P229 that presented itself last week, too. A narrower trigger is easier to reach around, and it seems to be just right for me, better than the SIG short trigger.

VIP Member
    I have a few SIGs and I did put a short trigger on my Elite Carry... I really like it. It's an easy swap to do so I'd say, get one and try it!

You can always sell it here if you don't like it.
    Last edited by Thumper; November 19th, 2007 at 05:20 PM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raffysoriano View Post
    Does anyone here have any experience with the SIG short trigger [...]
    Yep. I had a gunsmith put one on my P226 and I did the same job myself for my P220. Looking at the two triggers does not make it seem like much of a difference, but I thought it made a noticable improvement in my DA trigger contact. I think that if the standard trigger seems *just* a bit too far away for you(I could get the pad of the index finger on the trigger, but not all the way to the distal joint while still maintaining a comfortable grip), the short trigger will help.

It is a straight up replacement for the standard trigger, though when I did my P220 I found that I needed to take down the gun a bit farther than I had anticipated. I knew the locking insert would have to come out along with the slide release spring, but I wasn't expecting that the right grip, trigger bar, and trigger bar spring would have to come out, too.

Still, it isn't hard, the part is cheap (I got mine from Midway USA for like $25), and the only tough part is making sure you note which way the locking insert slots on the trigger pivot are aligned before you go ahead and remove the pivot. :) (I locked my trigger hard the first time I put it back together, then stripped my P226 to see which way I *should* have put the pivot back in...)

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I put off buying a P229 for years, in spite of the grip fit and pointability being perfect for me, until I got to handle one with a short trigger. I have now been carrying that P229R DAK for three years as a duty pistol. Just last week, I ordered a TJ Custom trigger from Brownells, and installed in in a nice pre-owned DA/SA P229 that presented itself last week, too. A narrower trigger is easier to reach around, and it seems to be just right for me, better than the SIG short trigger.
    Rexster, got any pics of that TJ Custom trigger installed?
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

A buddy has an X5 for use in USPSA. I'm no SIG fan, but the trigger on that thing is really, really nice. It does not compare to a factory trigger, it feels like a completely different animal. The reset is right in there with my Limited gun, and if it's pull is 3# I'd be stunned.

This one is NOT a drop in part. It almost made me want to buy one!

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

BAC
    Now is this just the physical trigger that's being shortened, or is the length of pull being shortened? I'm very partial to a short length of pull, myself, which is why I'm curious.

-B

I put one in my P226ST. While it felt nice on the DA pull, it somewhat threw off the SA pull because it had to go a little further than it did before (at least it felt that way to me). Grayguns has an Intermediate Trigger, and I am having that installed on mine in the hopes of 'Best of Both Worlds'.

BAC - basically the short trigger is not as wide front-to-back as the stock trigger is. If you look at pictures, you'll be able to see the difference. It doesn't look like a lot, but it can be noticeable, especially for those of us with shorter fingers / small hands. It does not change the length of pull, but as I mentioned about in SA what happens is you need to pull it a little further back, and that can be a bit of an odd feeling.

Senior Moderator
    I put a short trigger in a couple of my Sigs and don't like it. The main reason I don't like it is because the tip of it is uncomfortable on my finger. A bit smaller hand with a smaller finger, might make a difference. I'm gonna put the standard back in.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

The trigger on the X5 that I shot was a single action, short reset. I wouldn't carry it, any more than I'd carry my Limited GLOCK 35 (2 # trigger, virtually no reset). The X5 has been the only SIG trigger that I've liked.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prawls View Post
    Rexster, got any pics of that TJ Custom trigger installed?
    I am too 20th-Century for digital photography, but a search for "TJ Custom Pistol" on google should make his website with excellent photos pop right up. The Sigarms factory short trigger is still wide, with a flat face, and as with most experienced DA sixgunners, I prefer a narrower trigger for DA shooting. The TJ trigger made a HUGE difference from the standard SIG trigger in my decocker P229. I believe I will order another TJ trigger this week for my other (DAK) P229.

2 kinds of short triggers

FWIW I've installed short triggers on my 220/229/239's. BIG difference in handling.

There are 2 types of short triggers floating out there-I bought a set from a vendor that claimed it fit 245/220 AND 229/226. The narrower trigger fit the old 245 and older 220. The newer one would not fit a 245. The vendor claimed its the same-its not.

My .02
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

I also have smaller hands and the short trigger was useful on my 226.
    You will like the results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links