Cond. 1...blunt force to hammer.

This is a discussion on Cond. 1...blunt force to hammer. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read extinsively in the archives about carrying a 1911 in condition 1 and my intent is not to create a roaring, redundant thread. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cond. 1...blunt force to hammer.

Cond. 1...blunt force to hammer.

I have read extinsively in the archives about carrying a 1911 in condition 1 and my intent is not to create a roaring, redundant thread.

But, has anyone ever heard of the hammer being hit just right in a holster and having an AD? Regardless of the coutless safeties (thumb, grip, firing pin...) couldn't the hammer be forced enough to break through the safety?

I understand that this would be very very unlikely if not impossible, but I do alot of active things in my everyday life, and my carry piece takes a lot of beating.

FYI- I have been, and will continue to carry in condition 1, but I'm just curious.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

2. Remove Ads

Sure it could. However if your 1911's safety succumbs to the amount of force required to accomplish that then you've got worse things to worry about as your hip will be smashed as well.

Seriously, I've never heard of such and won't be expecting to do so.

JD
    Administrator
    Even if it broke it would still have to get past the the half cock notch to get to the firing pin. If you have a series 80 / series II style 1911, you still have the firing pin safety.

Check out THIS post from OD

That's a pretty beefy setup, unfortunately it doesn't show the half cock notch.

The hammer hooks would have to get completely sheered off, and I don't think that's going to happen even if it's MIM.

Somewhere there was a thread about a guy with his 1911 in its plastic carrying case, cocked and locked. Case was bungeed onto the back of the dude's motorcycle. Case came unbungeed on the freeway. Guy had to exit and come back around, hopefully to find case protected gun from damage. First found pieces of run-over plastic case. after some searching, found gun, chipped, dinged, gouged, scratched...still cocked and locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan M. View Post
    Somewhere there was a thread about a guy with his 1911 in its plastic carrying case, cocked and locked. Case was bungeed onto the back of the dude's motorcycle. Case came unbungeed on the freeway. Guy had to exit and come back around, hopefully to find case protected gun from damage. First found pieces of run-over plastic case. after some searching, found gun, chipped, dinged, gouged, scratched...still cocked and locked.
    Someoen else mentioned getting into a bike accident with their 1911. Apparently it was thrown off or something and was dented up but it was still cocked and locked.

I forogt all about the half cock notch... thanks for the feedback

What made me think of this was the lock that is on most Benchmade blue series knives(http://www.benchmade.com/about_knive...mechanisms.asp). Supposedly holds steady under 250lbs. of pressure.

I have had many a lock back knife cut the heck out of my pinky when using it in the wrong way. If enough force is applied to any lock it will eventually break. Hopefully this thread won't end up being 10 pages long. Thanks again for the feedback.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan M. View Post
    I believe the story you are talking about can be found here: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=174946

Not only is this a testament to the 1911 design but also to Springfield's excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagphish View Post
    I forogt all about the half cock notch... thanks for the feedback

What made me think of this was the lock that is on most Benchmade blue series knives(http://www.benchmade.com/about_knive...mechanisms.asp). Supposedly holds steady under 250lbs. of pressure.

I have had many a lock back knife cut the heck out of my pinky when using it in the wrong way. If enough force is applied to any lock it will eventually break. Hopefully this thread won't end up being 10 pages long. Thanks again for the feedback.
    I cut off my right index (trigger) finger with a small kershaw a couple st. patty's days ago.

They got it reattached though .

I still won't carry a pocket knife with me to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    I cut off my right index (trigger) finger with a small kershaw a couple st. patty's days ago.

They got it reattached though .

I still won't carry a pocket knife with me to this day.
    Kavity,

Might I suggest the KaBar 'TDI' series of fixed blade compact and large knives.
    I currently own a TDI Law Enforcement (fully serrated EDC), a large TDI drop point with rear half serrations, and a TDI Law Enforcement training knife (dull non sharpened blade).

https://www.kabar.com/product_search...tegoryName=Law

Tough, durable, lightweight, sharp, holds an age, easily concealed, and won't fold on ya.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    I believe the story you are talking about can be found here: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=174946

Not only is this a testament to the 1911 design but also to Springfield's excellent customer service.
    That's the one! And I was wrong, it was in his backpack not bungeed to the seat. Result was the same. Post #46 is where he says it stayed cocked and locked. Gawrsh, made me sick to my stomach all over again reading that post.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Ouch!
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

I asked a similar question to my girlfriends grandpa and he told me that when he was in Vietnam he asked an armorer at his base how strong the safeties are on a 1911. without saying a word the armorer took a scrap 1911 frame from a bucket, cocked the hammer, put the frame in a bench vise and proceeded to beat the hell out of the hammer with a hammer of his own. The hammer broke in half below the spur but the safety did not fail. This is reason enough for me to trust a 1911 in condition 1.

Ps. this does not include the thumb safety, which would only make con. 1 more safe.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

Not to mention in order to apply blunt force to the hammer itself you'd have to break the beavertail... its safe. I'm sure there's a way to make it fail - possibly involving liquid hot magma - but its not something a human being needs to worry about.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by mr. orange View Post
    I asked a similar question to my girlfriends grandpa and he told me that when he was in Vietnam he asked an armorer at his base how strong the safeties are on a 1911. without saying a word the armorer took a scrap 1911 frame from a bucket, cocked the hammer, put the frame in a bench vise and proceeded to beat the hell out of the hammer with a hammer of his own. The hammer broke in half below the spur but the safety did not fail. This is reason enough for me to trust a 1911 in condition 1.

Ps. this does not include the thumb safety, which would only make con. 1 more safe.
    Awesome demonstration
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Quote Originally Posted by mr. orange View Post
    I asked a similar question to my girlfriends grandpa and he told me that when he was in Vietnam.....
    Grandpa? I starting to feel a little old here...

The reason Condition 1 worries people is because they can see the hammer. A rifle with a cartridge in the chamber and the safety on is for all practical purposes Condition 1, and that doesn't bother very many people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links