Defensive Carry banner

Sig p239

11K views 34 replies 28 participants last post by  Fragman 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me any recommendations for this gun? I want to hear what you all think of it. The model I was looking at was a preowned never shot. It comes with the .357 barrel and 2 mags and also the .40 cal barrel w/2 mags. It is black and selling for $799 plus tax. If this is not a good buy please let me know. I can also get the .40 cal with 2 mags for $629+ tax. Any info would help.

#4 ·
That was my first CCW and it is a great gun. that said, a few days ago I handled one with the new DAK trigger and it is far superior to my SA/DA. Get a good holster and belt and you will have an excellent CCW... Lou Alessi makes his PCH for IWB carry and it is as good as it gets, but the wait will be rather long....oh, his belts are second to none. I have one cow hide leather and two shark..good luck...

#6 ·
Price is probably fair...

Of the two alternatives you mentioned, I would go with the .40 caliber gun for $629. I don't consider the .357 Sig caliber to offer any advantage over the .40 in ballistics, if you pick the best .40 caliber ammo - so I wouldn't pay extra to have the .357 Sig barrel.

The $629 is fair for a used P239 in "unfired" condition. I am presuming it is not a CPO (certified pre owned) Sig that the factory has refurbished after being owned by a police department - these usually go for $500 to $550 or so. And you didn't mention if the gun has night sights or the two tone effect with stainless slide, which can influence value upward.

The .40 caliber P239 is an excellent CCW gun, in my opinion, which weighs 27.5 ounces empty and has a slim profile for easy concealment:

#9 ·
The 239 is shorter, thinner, not as tall, and lighter. AND I have both. Really like the 239 to carry. Mine has CT grips on it.

#8 ·
Go for the P239 for $600...+1 to Pogo2 (for all the reasons he listed)

I have a P229/.40 and am looking to add a P239/.40 to my collection. Its a great gun to conceal (I borrow my dad's P239/9mm when he visits).

You won't be disappointed.

Get it

Now

#11 ·
799 is too high I think.

I paid 529 NEW for my P239 9mm. I got lucky it seems though.

Mostly, the lowest I've seen them new is in the $600's.

It's as good a carry gun as it gets. The capacity is a little low compared to others, but really you are unlikely to need more and the magazines are real slim, so a reload is easy to carry.

#14 ·
I agree that it is a little too high priced on either package. It is definitely a small grip gun, and because of that it is easy to conceal. It shoot very well and eat everything I ever feed it, and never one FTE. I personally did not like the small grip.

Biggest Recommendation: Shoot one before you buy it.

#15 ·
I own a 239 and would like to point out 3things you might want to look at.
First of all, the pistol is a high quality peice and can suite you well.
In first round DAO, the trigger will pinch my trigger finger between it and the pistol housing. It hurts a little and I am looking for a fix.
The sights are fine for daytime, but I would highly recommend 3 dot night sights.
The 1911 grip is more comfortable for me.
Your mileage may vary, and this is a very good pistol.

#17 ·
If the gun is unfired....the price is in line...

Would not give up my P239 SAS DAK trigger w/lasermax...even if the Supreme Court decides that the 2nd A is only for the Army....anyone ever heard of an unarmed Army? :confused: But thats for another thread...sorry.

#18 ·
I think the prices are high, but it's a nice pistol. I've had my 239 for about 6 years now, in .357. Carried it 24/7 for about 4 of those years.

I retired it from carry, found something I like a little better. Still can't bring myself to sell it though - it's a great pistol.

#23 ·
I had two 239's in 9mm for about a year, accurate, accurate,accurate, are the first 3 words that cme to mind after reliable.....After running out of ammo while doing a tactical shooting course I traded one for a 229 (15 rd) and traded the other for a 226 SCT ( 20rd mags); I needed the hi cap mags; thats the only limitation of the 239; otherwise GREAT GUN!!! You can get a used LNIB for about $525.

#26 ·
I've been thinking about this.... who cares what the price is. Its a great gun, and I think you should buy one ASAP. FWIW, I like the 9mm 239 much better, but to each his own.

#28 ·
What he said. The 239 is really as good as it gets. Handles +P+ (9mm), compact, accurate, extremely well made. Doesn't mean it is better than everything else, but when balancing concealment, reliability, accuracy, hitting power, capacity and quality, its a match for any gun out there.

Some people are put off by the 8+1 capacity, but really, this isn't the movies. You're responsible for every round, so the firing of dozens of rounds at multiple BG's just isn't going to happen. Can't think of a CCW story where this has ever happened. But, hey, even if yo are the first, spare mags are easy to carry anyway.

Bottom line is, you are more likely to carry it EVERY TIME, rather than leaving your bigger hi-cap at home.

Hell, the thing even fits in a decent sized pocket.

If you really do find yourself in a situation with multiple BG's all carrying hi-cap Glocks either:

1) They will run like the cowards they are as soon as you start shooting.

2) If there really are more than two or 3 bad guys, and they are that determined, you are going to be down before you get any further. Unless you find cover. Thats where your spare will come in handy.

#27 ·
Action speaks louder then the words I could post here! Rent one at your local range! I own one and would trust my life with this gun!

There's no life before coffee! SemperFi Till The Day I Die!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.