First carry gun

First carry gun

This is a discussion on First carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I am new to the forum and am looking for some carry advice. I currently own a 4" xd 40 as a home defense ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First carry gun

First carry gun

Hi, I am new to the forum and am looking for some carry advice. I currently own a 4" xd 40 as a home defense weapon and really love the gun but its too large for carry IMO. I want to purchase a gun for carry and have been considering the XD40 SC, Walther P99c in .40, and the Walther PPS in .40. I just wanted to get some opinions and maybe some recommendations. I really like the .40 but would consider a 9mm also. Thanks in advance.

Lead Moderator
    Personally I found 3" guns, especially the .40 cal. to be uncomfortable to shoot or carry. As far as carry the short barrel and heavy grip seems to always be pulling the holster into my side.
    I found the short barrel combine with stout defense load to be a snappy recoil. Also the 3": barrel didn't seem to be as accurate for me. I traded to a 4" 1911 SA champ and found much improvement in overall accuracy and comfort. (I still use a full size .40 for winter carry ).
    I don't think a 4" XD is all that big to concealed carry, but a lot depends on clothing, body type and holster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by XD40Brian View Post
    Hi, I am new to the forum and am looking for some carry advice. I currently own a 4" xd 40 as a home defense weapon and really love the gun but its too large for carry IMO. I want to purchase a gun for carry and have been considering the XD40 SC, Walther P99c in .40, and the Walther PPS in .40. I just wanted to get some opinions and maybe some recommendations. I really like the .40 but would consider a 9mm also. Thanks in advance.
    I am also looking for a first carry gun, as well as a first gun period. I was looking at the P99c as well, and the PPS. I was leaning towards the P99c.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I am carrying a XD .40 Service model, not too large at all. Currently I am using a DeSantis IWB I picked up at the gun store while I wait for my Dakota Defender from Kevin.

With the right holster and clothing, you can easily carry your XD. Find the photo thread for concealed carry. There is a picture of LimaTunes carrying a .45 with no trouble, and she is a pretty small woman.

Good luck,

Mike

VIP Member
    One suggestion I would offer is a Glock G19 perhaps?
    Welcome!

Walther PPS looks attractive

Although I have not handled one, I have read reviews and seen photos of the new Walther PPS and it looks very attractive for CCW. It is available in 9mm and I didn't know the .40 caliber version was on the market yet. I just looked on the Walther US website and didn't see the .40 listed.

But the 9mm version is not a bad choice, and you can certainly find good 9mm ammo that is quite adequate for defensive use. I like the thin profile of the PPS (0.91 slide and grip width) and the fact that it comes with 3 diffferent magazines - 6,7, and 8 rounds. It is very lightweight (21.3 ounces) and has a 6.1 pound DAO trigger.

Or a G23 (.40). All the sidearms you posted a good, quality firearms but, like rocky said, I also find the short 3" barrels not too comfortable WRT the full grip.

Welcome Aboard !
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have found my XD 40 SC to be a reliable and comfortable firearm, and have been surprised at its accuracy for only a 3" barrell. To me the differences in recoil between the XD 40 SC and my 9mm firearms are hardly noticeable. On the other hand, I like 9mm's very much. I would like to have the other models that you have mentioned, mainly because I don't have them yet.

So . . .. Now that I have contributed nothing of use in answering your question, good luck in making your choice.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by porsche4786 View Post
    I am also looking for a first carry gun, as well as a first gun period. I was looking at the P99c as well, and the PPS. I was leaning towards the P99c.
    My main carry gun is a P99c in 9mm. It is, IMO, the perfect carry gun. Shoots more accurately out of the box then I could ever do, conceals well, low recoil, and if you get the AS trigger, by decocking you can carry in DA for the first shot, which, again IMO, is safer, with the subsequent shots a very sweet SA. If you prefer, you can carry in the AS mode, which is a longer but lighter first shot, again with the subsequent shots the same SA.

Good luck on whatver you decide.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I've been carrying my XD40 Service in a SmartCarry for awhile now. As someone else stated, with the right holster and clothing, it can be concealed very easily.

Dave

I really like the CW series that Kahr has. I have the CW9 and it is my main carry gun but they do have a 40 cal also. Price is right also. Steve48

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Although I have not handled one, I have read reviews and seen photos of the new Walther PPS and it looks very attractive for CCW. It is available in 9mm and I didn't know the .40 caliber version was on the market yet. I just looked on the Walther US website and didn't see the .40 listed.

But the 9mm version is not a bad choice, and you can certainly find good 9mm ammo that is quite adequate for defensive use. I like the thin profile of the PPS (0.91 slide and grip width) and the fact that it comes with 3 diffferent magazines - 6,7, and 8 rounds. It is very lightweight (21.3 ounces) and has a 6.1 pound DAO trigger.

http://www.waltheramerica.com/wcssto...S_BROCHURE.pdf
    Here is where I saw the .40 mentioned, I am not sure if it available for sale yet though.

Thanks for all of your advice. Outside of work I mostly wear t-shirts, most of them black or dark, and I wouldnt say I wear them tight but I definitely dont wear them loose. I have tried just putting my 4" xd in my waist band in different locations and cannot find a comfortable one or one that doesnt seem to print.

Well I carry a 4" Kimber 1911 commander sized, easy to carry and conceal.
    Getting the correct holster is essential, the right holster will make a world of difference. But a lot depends on body type and the clothing you wear.
    If your willing to wear a vest should be no problem with conceal, otherwise maybe you want something smaller. But then I seen guys conceal a full size 45 with just a tshirt, just depends on body type, for me it doesn't work.
    I would recommend renting a few smaller guns and see how you like them, then get a good holster and adjust your wardrobe accordingly.
    I been looking at the PPS myself for summer carry under a tshirt, haven't seen it in stores yet and not sure what options there are for holsters.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Anyone have pictures of themselves carrying a 4" xd? Like I said my wardrobe consists mainly of tshirts, and sweatshirts in winter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links