New Carry 45

This is a discussion on New Carry 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I took a job even deeper in the inner city for a substantial payraise with the specific deal (made with the CEO/wife) that I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Carry 45

Question New Carry 45

Okay, I took a job even deeper in the inner city for a substantial payraise with the specific deal (made with the CEO/wife) that I be able to purchase a new carry gun. She agreed and it's time to pay up! My requirements are high cap (10 or more with flush fitting mag), slim enough for my hands which are smallish. This lets out either the Glock M21 or Glock M30 which are both great and I have owned both, but they feel like a 2x4 in my hand.

I'm down to two so far:

#1 ParaOrdnance. A new Model they call The Colonel. 4.25 inch barrel with a 14 + 1 capacity. It DOES fit my hand, nicely! But I don't know about reliability. I like the LDA trigger style. But I understand the LDA's are terribly difficult to field strip for cleaning or emergencies. I also like the slightly smaller (13 +1) TAC-4 LDA model.

#2 Magnum Research Baby Eagle. It has a 10 +1 capacity and is DA first shot. I have ZERO experience with this and have heard nothing as to reliability, concealability or ease of disassembly. Anybody have anything on these? Or any OTHER suggestions?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Just get yourself 10 of these...

... and load them up in your assault wheelbarrow!

http://www.downsizer.com/

I have a buddy with the Baby Eagle and he swears by it. He's run a ton of rounds through it. Unfortunately, I haven't fired it, but I've handled it a couple of times. He carries it OWB, but I don't know which holster rig he uses.

Best of luck. Euc's pic looks more like a bottle opener than a handgun...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Administrator

Thought About Caspian?

How about a pistol built on their Hi Cap Titanium frame???
    Nice SLIM FRAME nice & light. Expensive though.
    Oh Shoot...Somebody is building a Caspian pistol called the Viper...I saw the pistol the other day????
    Wait...I'll be right back...Lemme go find it.

THIS LOOKS NICE! ~ Click Here

Titanium hi-cap frame, 100% reliability perfomance work, match Caspian trigger kit hand fitted for smooth pull. Caspian 4340 High carbon steel barstock slide hand fitted precisely to frame, polished breechface and sides of slide, one side Apollo logo engraved, flattened top of slide, adjustable ghost ring rear sight and fiber optic front sight. Lowered and flared ejection port, front and rear cocking serrations on slide, frame and slide edges beveled. Schuemann stainless steel ultimatch barrel hand fitted precisely polished feed ramp and chamber. One piece guide rod, extended ejector, aftec modular extractor, wide ambi-safety, Caspian grips. Checkered mainspring housing, one magazine.

Assistant Administrator
    Minimal input here Ex - but first, I was talking to someone who has a Baby Eagle and liked it, a lot. Used for carry. No criticisms.

Re Para stuff - well I do not know the gun to which you refer but - having had issues with my P12.45, would I guess not make Para a #1 choice. I have ''Wolffized'' my mags and that helped a lot but somehow could never get quite the confidence level to use it for actually carry.

Bear in mind - one example of one model - so possibly not fair to slam all para's by any means.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

camjr - Euc's example above IS a bottle opener. It just happens to incorporate gun features
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Have you considred the GAP? (ducks arrows)
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    Have you considred the GAP? (ducks arrows)
    :chairshot :chairshot :chairshot

Out of the 2 you listed i would take the para the few baby eagles ive know people to have were not the best guns

I've got a Baby Eagle in 9MM. Like it a lot. Shoots great. Doesn't care what kinda ammo you throw through it. Nice shooter.

Mods, resize this for me, please?
    Last edited by QKShooter; July 14th, 2005 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Resize ~ Brighten Photo

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Here's another vote for the 45 GAP, only in the XD. I've got small hands as well, never felt comfortable with the Glocks, but the XD's feel great and I have heard only good things about them, aside from early corrosion problems on the slides. Hmm, maybe I can convince my wife that I need a new gun...

I don't like the thought of having to acquire new basic loads of ammo and I don't really like the GAP. I don't like the idea of maybe mixing the ammo up in a rush. I also don't like the Bosnian made XD. I DO like the inverted slide configuration of the Baby Eagle, so like the CZ making obvious the lineage. I'm going to have to do some research. I have a $$$ limit in the range of about $1100 total, including tax.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    There's lots of input here from folks that really are sharp. I can't add personal knowledge, but I went through a half day defensive shooting course and one of the more impressive shooters had the Baby Eagle and he swore by it. I've always had reservations about the LDA system. It seems somewhat fragile to me. Very subjective, I know. Just my $.02 worth. Wish I had your dilema. I love to buy guns.

If you don't like the LDA you might look at the Lt. Colonel which is the single action version (only 10 rounds though). STI also makes a 10-round 1911 called the VIP. I've always heard good things about their products. Then there's always Kimber although I have no personal knowledge regarding the quality of their hi-caps.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

OD*
    Have you considered the Wilson KZ-45 Compact Tactical Carry Pistol? A good friend has one and thinks very highly of it.
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_kz45_compact.asp

or the full size KZ-45 Tactical Carry Pistol
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_kz45.asp
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Lightbulb Being more specific is a GOOD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Have you considered the Wilson KZ-45 Compact Tactical Carry Pistol? A good friend has one and thinks very highly of it.
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_kz45_compact.asp

or the full size KZ-45 Tactical Carry Pistol
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_kz45.asp
    OOOPS! I neglected to mention that I'm looking for a firearm that has a DA first shot and MAYBE a DAO trigger action. That's why I like the idea of the Para LDA in a hi-cap. So no WILSON, which is waaaaaay outta my $$$ league anyway. I'm still wavering between the TAC-4 or The Colonel AND I'm still taking a hard look at the Baby Eagle 45. I already have a Sig P245 DA 45ACP and I think the tradeoff for two additional rounds if I went to the P220 isn't worth the extra bulk.

OD*
    Understood sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links