Para PXT LDA Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Para PXT LDA Thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been looking at more standard single stack Commander length 1911's like SA Champion or a Colt Stainless Combat. The 13+1 mag in the Para 4" ...

Thread: Para PXT LDA Thoughts?

Para PXT LDA Thoughts?

Been looking at more standard single stack Commander length 1911's like SA Champion or a Colt Stainless Combat. The 13+1 mag in the Para 4" sure looks attractive compared to the regular 7+1 of single stack short grips. Grip is thicker naturally, but I find grip length to be more of a conceal issue.

The DA trigger is also different from normal 1911's. Anyone try this and like it? Bobbed hammer, no beavertail too. Only negative for me is no ambi-safety. Have to add one as I'm lefty.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    You can get an ambi. from Brownells, as for the bobbed grip safety, well that's one of the things I don't like about that particular model.

Also, the mags are expensive.

Other than that the one thing that I always mention when the question comes up, is buy a stainless model or get it refinished immediately, the Parakote finish doesn't last for nothing, or at least it didn't on the 3 that I had.

The model I'm looking at is stainless. Anyone know a good black finish to get on stainless? Nitron, or is that factory only?

Lead Moderator
    The LDA trigger is nice and light, however look at the insides of one. they are a bit more complicated than some other guns. Also the trigger pull is a bit longer for fast trigger reset.
    That said, the Para LDA I shot seems nice enough and was accurate.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD
    Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    The model I'm looking at is stainless. Anyone know a good black finish to get on stainless? Nitron, or is that factory only?
    Nitron is the name for Sig's finish. You probably want Permakote from Nighthawk Custom, , Roguard from Robar,
    Armortuff by Wilson Combat or BlackT from Birdsong, sorry he doesn't have website that I can find.

All of the above listed finishes are grade A. Persoanlly I'm leaning toward a roguard slide with a NP3 frame adn internals.

Tried an Para LDA once and didn't care for it. I just don't see an advantage. I'll stick with an SAO 1911.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I like the general size/shape though (and 14 rounds of 45!). Why don't they make it with a normal SA trigger?

I have a Para LDA12 with the black Permakote finish. It is the Commander size. I don't carry it as much as I used to. I really like the trigger and once you try it you will be spoiled. Longer travel but it is so light and smooth it is very easy to get accustomed to.
    I had the Duo-Tone (stainless/Perakote slide) with the conventional trigger as well. Nice gun but too big for front pocket. IWB or SOB and back pocket worked well.
    I installed a steel extended mag release that I can convert back to stock length. My Para does not have the PXT, but if I felt some need, there are folks in the midwest that can install one.
    I carry three mags, the 12 rounders costing 100.00 for the pair with a certificate, ond one 10 rounder just in case. 35 rounds ought to be enough to get you to the rifle/shotgun.

rustynuts; I think that they do make it with PXT and a standard single action trigger/12+1 in 5" and 4.5". I think the 1911 web site has a link to the Para web site.

Administrator
    Para is the poster child for good ideas poorly executed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links