Unreliable 3 inch 1911s - Urban Legend?

This is a discussion on Unreliable 3 inch 1911s - Urban Legend? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Ultra CDP II has been altogether reliable. High-quality firearms usually are. Some folks will never accept a 3" 1911 regardless of how reliable it ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Unreliable 3 inch 1911s - Urban Legend?

My Ultra CDP II has been altogether reliable. High-quality firearms usually are. Some folks will never accept a 3" 1911 regardless of how reliable it is. Others won't accept any 1911 at all. Internet forums tend to collect a lot more bad experiences than good ones.

Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

2. Remove Ads

Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    There were/are enough problems to create the "buzz".
    I've been hearing a lot of Sasquatch buzz also.

Pogo, the place to find this out for sure would be at local ranges, wouldn't it? Know anybody that works in that field?

Such folks of my acquaintence report that the 3" guns are somewhat more tempermental than the full sized ones, but it's not as bad now that all the major players (makers, gunsmiths, and even owner-tinkerers) have had several years of learning curve with the sub-sized 1911s.

That's been my own experience too, and it sorta makes sense when you think about it. The 3" guns are a radical change from the original design, it would figure that you can't just chop 'em down and expect 'em to run the same as before. Lotsa variables to consider.

I have had no problems with my Para Wart hog.

Quote Originally Posted by David III View Post
    Are 1911s generally unreliable?
    From what ive seen, experienced, and heard..........yes. Picky over ammo, picky over mags, over what time of day it is and the location of the moon. I get the 1911 thing, they shoot awesome and theres no better trigger out there, i just don't get having to spend 1000 bucks, then buy Brand W mags because the mags that came with my gun won't feed, then having issues with what hollowpoint it likes, or better yet send it to X the gunsmith so it will actually so what its supposed to, shoot anything i want, when i want.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I've been hearing a lot of Sasquatch buzz also.
    Not to get into it again, but have you ever heard of ANYONE, ANYWHERE, who bought four Glocks or Sigs and had to send two of them back to get worked on?

The 1911 platform IS known for being tempermental, needing break-in, being ammo sensitive, needing a fluff and buff, and so on and so on. I didn't invent these problems/reputations out of thin air. Sasquatch (to quote John Cleese) don't enter into it.

I'm glad that your 3" 1911 is reliable. I know many (most) are. But denial ain't just a river in Egypt....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sorry but every gun maker makes a lemon now and then and I have a person I know who even had endless troubles with a Sig. Also seen bad Kahrs, S&W's, Taurus, Brownings, etc, etc.

Most 1911's are basically trouble free it's just so very tempting to start making improvements to them. The early 3"ers did seem to have their share of troubles but these days the dealers I know can't keep them in stock. I asked how many come back and I'm told about the same rate as any other auto.

My bargain basement GI Micro has topped 4,000 rounds and runs like a charm. I see more talk of troubles on the internet than I have on the range and from other 3" owners.

BTW OPFOR, I have a good friend who had two Glock frames in a row break in his hands the first time they were shot. He now swears all Glocks are junk and went back to his 1911's. I don't agree, Glocks are good but not for me.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I guess I'm a pretty lucky guy. I've owned probably a dozen different 1911's so far and only one had feed issues. It was a Curtis Lemay which are junk manufacture anyway.

I currently have (4) 1911's. A full sized, (2) four inchers and a 3.5 inch model. They are all 100% performers. But then, I don't "tinker" with mine either. ;)

True

It's 100 percent true. I saw it on the internet. Who needs proof when you have the internet?

I've got a Defender and a SA Micro Compact. I think they are both excellent and shoot various types of ammo in both with no problems.
    The Defender ran great right out of the box. The Micro had several hic-ups when it was new, during the first 50-70 rounds or so, but hasn't had an issue since. I'm not concerned over it, as that's just a normal break in.

I say-Myth

I have a XD40SC with over 4,000 rounds of reloads with cast bullets through it. Zero problems. A M&P 9mm with around 1,5000, mostly cast bullet reloads. Zero problems.

I have two, Springfield 1911s. One SS 5" Loaded and a Champion 4" loaded LW. The 5 inch has been just about 100% after initial breakin. The Champion had FTF/FTRB problems right off the bat, a heavy trigger and a non working plunger on the safety right out of the box and I sent it back for repair. What does that tell us? Nothing much. I had trouble with one 1911 and no trouble with the other.

But, after reading everything I could on the two 1911 groups for quite some time, I do believe that short barrel 1911s have more than their fare share of problems. There are some very knowledgable 1911 gurus on both groups whose opinions I trust. I don't think these guys have any "ax to grind".

I really like both of my 1911s. They're my favorite pistols. They fit my hand, I love the trigger and I can hit what I aim at better than I can with any other handgun I've owned. I admire the design genuis of John Browning and the "mechanics" of these pistols and think the little 1911s are neat as the dickens but I don't think I'll ever buy one with a barrel shorter than 4 inches.

All of our opinions are based on what we've experienced, what our fellow shooter's have experienced and what we've read. For instance, my perception of Taurus guns is based on a revolver I saw that failed, brand new out of the box. Never got a shot off. Also, according to all of the information I've accumulated on the net, their customer service is lacking and it seems as though Taurus has more than their fair share of problems. But, for everyone who brings up a problem, there's another person who states that they've never had a problem. So, we use the resources available, accumulate "data" and arrive at our own conclusions.

Cloudpeak

VIP Member
    So, another 50% failure rate (as long as you consider "just about 100%, after a break in" to NOT be a failure)....

Look, I'll say it again - the 1911 is a great platform. However, the evidence STRONGLY supports the fact that it has more problems than other designs, especially in the smaller sizes. This in no way means that all (or a majority, or even a sizeable minority) of them are bad guns, it simply means that they have more problems than other designs. To argue otherwise is silly, in the face of all that is out there claiming otherwise.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    It's not just urban legend...a 3 inch takes some additional engineering for it to run right and early on some got it right and some didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    So, another 50% failure rate (as long as you consider "just about 100%, after a break in" to NOT be a failure)....
    So is my friends 100% Glock failure rate a valid perception? I'm not trying to start an argument just saying that impressions can be misleading. And with that I'm outa here!!!!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR
    "The 1911 platform IS known for being tempermental, needing break-in, being ammo sensitive, needing a fluff and buff, and so on and so on."
    How "known"? From marketing and service data or comments on the internet? In any case, I've never had trouble with either of my 3"ers, and I don't anticipate any with the one I bought last week.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links