Unreliable 3 inch 1911s - Urban Legend? - Page 5

Unreliable 3 inch 1911s - Urban Legend?

This is a discussion on Unreliable 3 inch 1911s - Urban Legend? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not much experience with the 1911 of any size. I too was warned against anything shorter than 4". But, after reading the reviews and others ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Unreliable 3 inch 1911s - Urban Legend?

Not much experience with the 1911 of any size.

I too was warned against anything shorter than 4". But, after reading the reviews and others who onwn one, I bought a 3" Colt New Agent.

Currently have only 200 rounds of various FMJ through it, but I have to say that I cannot seem to make it malfunction. I do not have strong hands or wrists. Two handed, one handed, slow or as fast as I can pull the trigger - it has been flawless. I love it!

JD
    Administrator

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I don't even like Commander-length 1911 pistols, due to their higher malf rate. I had three lemon Colt Commanders, a lemon ODI, and a finicky Les Baer Concept 1911 in the Comanche size, which is Baer's term for Commander-length. The other Baer Concept was reliable. That is 1 good, 5 bad. In the "sub" size, I had two lemons made by Detonics, one Colt Officer's ACP that rarely malfed, but did it often enough that I could not trust it, and a Wilson Sentinel that was reliable. That is 1 good one out of a total of 4. With full-sized 1911 pistols, 3 Kimbers, 2 Colts, 1 Springfield, and 1 Les Baer, only was Kimber was bad, a Stainless Gold Match, and even it worked 100% with one particular brand of magazine. The other two Kimbers needed just a bit of work, then worked 100%. I will never again fool with any 1911 with less than 5" barrel. The odds are against them, in my experience. Moreover, with an IWB holster, I can conceal a 5" 1911 with no problem under normal clothing, so there is simply no real benefit to using the smaller pistols. I use SIGs now for duty pistols, anyway, so I sold or traded all my 1911s except for one Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special.

VIP Member
    Hey, JD, how'd you get the rights to use that Pepsi logo?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I've owned exactly 0 1911s. ....

Your argument is fundamentally flawed, in that individual experiences are much LESS usefull than broad trends... And asking 1911 devotees (the ones one would assume have the most experience) isn't exactly the best idea if you're looking for unbiased opinions, is it?
    First hand experience is LESS useful than reading about a subject? Personally, I think that argument is fundamentally flawed, if you want to travel in space, I would ask someone who actually worked on rockets, not someone that has only read about them. Everyone that has an opinion is biased to one degree or another, that doesn't mean they would lie about the subject.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Traveling in space? Aside from the fact that this is a far cry from using a pistol, let's look at that analogy:

Who would you trust more to tell you how space flight works: Krista McAulliffe (sp), the teacher who was selected to fly into space (and thus has "first hand experience") or the physicists who designed, built, and tested the rockets and spacecraft, but never left the earth? I know who I'd ask...

Continuing - Krista DIED on her space flight, a 100% failure rate from her perspective. Does that mean I should ask her how reliable space flight is? Should I ask other astronauts who made their trip and survived? Or should I read the collective histories of all space flights, and then make my determination?

Please, OD, you know better. We have a scientific method for a reason - because anecdotal evidence is unreliable, and only becomes (mostly) reliable when there is enough of a statistical sample to make general assumptions.

But, if we are to assume that personal, anecdotal evidence reigns supreme, then we have some SERIOUS problems with the platform in question...or have you just ignored all the posters who have lamented the problems they have had in their individual experience?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    People blame the design WAY too much. It's not the design. It's never been the design. The design has proven itself. If you are going to blame anyone, point out EXACTLY which company is making that 1911 and blame them.
    AMEN!

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    AMEN!
    OK, again:

Colt, Springfield, Detonics, Kimber, Les Baer, Para-Ordnance, Curtis Lemay....

OD*
    if you want to travel in space, I would ask someone who actually worked on rockets, not someone that has only read about them.
    the physicists who designed, built, and tested the rockets and spacecraft, but never left the earth? I know who I'd ask...

Yeah, that's what I said, thank you.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    OK, again:

Colt, Springfield, Detonics, Kimber, Les Baer, Para-Ordnance, Curtis Lemay....
    I'm sorry, this means what, I don't know what you're referring too?

VIP Member
    Yeah, that's what I said, thank you.
    Um, no, not really. You said you wanted "first hand experience" with space travel. That would entail traveling in space, right? As opposed to just learning all that silly stuff from silly books about how space travel works, and then putting all that worthless book learnin' to use putting someone else into space...

Now, care to explain why the scientific community doesn't count "well, my experience with gravity has been this," as a suitable way to quantify and explain the world?

I'm sorry, this means what, I don't know what you're referring too?
    You said you wanted to know what brands have had reported issues. So, I read the posts (even the ones that had negative experiences - I know that must be hard) and relayed the brands that these guys have reported issues with...

OD*
    You said you wanted to know what brands have had reported issues.
    Ah, no I didn't, please don't try and twist this post around too.

Lima's comment;
    People blame the design WAY too much. It's not the design. It's never been the design. The design has proven itself. If you are going to blame anyone, point out EXACTLY which company is making that 1911 and blame them.
    I agreed, it is not the design.

Administrator

The Question

Why WOULD SO MANY...not thousands but, probably millions (these days) serious, educated and qualified shooters. (Self Defensive as well as Competitive) choose the archaic designed 1911 pattern pistol as their number 1 choice handgun?
    Why would they even bother customizing and tweaking it and adapting it to their individual shooting style...when their are SO MANY other pistols out there that are just as ideally "reliable" right out of the box?

Is it because all of those shooters just want to "own" a piece of American Firearm History. - NOPE!

American "firearm history" and owning a "classic" "historic" handgun is WAY DOWN on my personal list for shooing the 1911 pattern handgun as my primary defensive handgun.

For me it's the perfect trigger. (if it's not the perfect trigger for somebody else they can add a long one or a medium one or go with a short trigger like I do.)
    But, is it just the "length" of the trigger? Nope, it's the short CRISP light pull of the trigger.
    The 1911 is capable of having a PERFECT yet safe trigger pull. I hate double action triggers on pistols. If I LOVED long hard double action triggers on PISTOLS I would buy a revolver and cut the hammer spur off.
    I WANT the first shot that I CRITICALLY and possibly "life or death" need to "get off" in a self-defensive shooting scenario to be crisp, and perfectly sweet.
    Don't get me wrong I think SIG has a great SA trigger pull (and great ergonomics also) but I can't stand that initial DA pull.
    I don't want to "get used to it" - Why should I force myself to get used to a heavy DA pull for such a time when my precious life may be on the line? I DO carry an early SIG P220 occasionally and I love the pistol but, Shhhhh....don't tell anybody...I "thumb cock" it for my first shot on the presentation to the intended target and I've been doing that for 20 years so it's also a rehearsed and ingrained action to me. I want to get of a perfect and accurately placed first shot. I want it flawless.
    If it's a NO SHOOT then I simply hit the decocker.
    So I guess for me both the SIGs & the 1911 are as equally as "Complicated" ??? for me. Complicated? - How complicated IS one lever?
    Thumb Safety...or...decocker...complicated...a PITA ??
    Neither is complicated because for chrissake they can train a hamster to pull a lever down when it's hungry.
    Hopefully we're multi-fold smarter than trained hamsters.
    It's whatever you are used to and practiced with.

I also love the perfect ergonomics of the 1911 pistols. Add thick grips...keep the standard thickness grips...or opt for the thin grips. Whatever grips make the already perfect grip angle feel even better than the best in hand. So the 1911 perfectly accommodates small, average and large hands.

The use of the ominous dreaded Thumb Safety comes as natural as breathing to me. It's as natural to me as blinking.
    I love the "snick" sound of it of it going on as well as coming off. The sound of the safety snicking off is like somebody just rang a little bell in heaven to me.
    My thumb is auto programmed to move just picking a 1911 up off a table.

Funny that all of my past 1911s have all actually WORKED right out of the box BUT, my personal preference is to adapt them more perfectly to me and my shooting style. No pistol adapts more readily.

One quirky thing about the 1911 is the extractor and that CAN (and does) cause major function related problems.
    Not that there is anything inherently wrong with the 1911 extractor but, it needs to be correctly tuned.
    Once tuned a high quality (machined from bar or spring stock) extractor will go countless thousands of rounds without ever needing to be touched again.
    If a shooter did not want to EVER mess with an extractor then the shooter COULD follow simple, basic instructions and install an AFTEC extractor (yes, it's expensive at $60) but, function & extraction problems are then solved solved forever.

My personal opinion is that a properly tuned and functioning 1911 is superior to every other handgun out there for personal self defense. I don't give a rats behind about capacity and multitudes of 9 MM.
    These days I carry 2 readily and quickly accessable spare magazines and one of them is a 10 round Cobra Mag by Tripp research & that gives another ten rounds in an ultra reliable single stack magazine just a second away from a reload. That sure works for me.

A properly functioning and tuned 1911 will run bone dry sans all lubrication. It will feed upside down and sideways and it will fire when limp wristed.
    It will feed any configuration of hollow points and it will keep right on going.
    The BIGGEST problem with 1911 pattern pistols is that modern gun makers are relying way too much on modern machined tight parts tolerances at the expense of a modest amount of hand fitting.
    THAT is creating somewhat of a negative reputation for 1911s in general but, has nothing to do with the design of the pistol.

Also it seems EVERYBODY wants a "match grade" barrel in their 1911s and that causes some problems because the match grade barrel chambers are way tighter than they need to be on a self-defense handgun.

Alright...I'm starting to write a doggone book here...I apologize.
    I have to go to work now any Goodbye.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The 3" 1911 is IMHO a fine little carry piece when done right by someone who understands the specific dynamics to tune ant time it . However given that everyone with a dremil thinks they are 1911 smiths few understand just how a small 1911 is different from a 5" so reliability can and does suffer . Problem areas show up faster in compact and sub compact autos than they will in the same design that is full sized . My opinion having carryed ( off and on ) the small 1911s since i got my original detonics in about 80 or 81 is that they can be problematic and frustrating , but it has been interesting to watch the development and learning curve from different manufacturers .

In closing i will simply say on the 1911 vs ( insert design or brand here ) ...

And my everyday carry is a plastic Kahr LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by packin_glock View Post
    This is how i fixed those pesky little 1911 problems
    Nice G27, me too

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links