Unreliable 3 inch 1911s - Urban Legend?

This is a discussion on Unreliable 3 inch 1911s - Urban Legend? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OPFOR Even if I had owned 100 1911s, that would still only give me a statistically insignificant sample. I can only go ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Unreliable 3 inch 1911s - Urban Legend?

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR
    Even if I had owned 100 1911s, that would still only give me a statistically insignificant sample. I can only go on the collective (and reported) experiences of the entire universe of 1911 owners/users.
    I can only go on the collective (and reported) experiences of the entire universe of 1911 owners/users.

So let me get this straight, you've talked to the ENTIRE UNIVERSE of 1911 owners / users.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR

Your argument is fundamentally flawed, in that individual experiences are much LESS usefull than broad trends... And asking 1911 devotees (the ones one would assume have the most experience) isn't exactly the best idea if you're looking for unbiased opinions, is it?
    If I wanted to buy a Chevy, I wouldn't talk to a Ford dealer.

When I want info I'll ask people that KNOW, not people that can recite others info. To get an actual scientific analysis we'd need the number of ALL 3" 1911s in the field, and then find the number that have faults. And we don't have that info.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Now HKManP2000 is making some sense to me.

How many chopped 1911s are there "out there" now?
    Hundreds of thousands at least.
    They sure all haven't been returned or traded back in.
    Why? Because they are working just fine (obviously) - and are doing what they are supposed to do.
    Which would be function.
    It has just always been that the folks you hear from the most and the loudest on the Internet are the unhappy ones.
    I have always said that one brand of firearm does not have to be Totally Fantasic at the expense of all others.

There are MANY fantastic firearms out there.
    Luckily we still have a Freedom Of Choice (for the most part) in our choice for a personal defense firearm.
    Selecting a firearm for personal self defense is a highly individual decision.
    I'm glad that I don't have to decide what everybody else should carry. Only me.

I admit that MANY 1911 related problems these days are due to fact that the format is So Popular that buyers can't seem to get enough of them. It seems like shooters suck them right out of the factory.
    So the clone makers are cranking them out overtime and a half.
    Probably way too fast.
    That is not indicative of an inherent defect or flaw in design.
    The feed system of a 1911 pattern pistol is NOT complex.
    It's incredibly simple, battle tested and proved.
    BUT, the few "feed related" parts need to be fit properly as they always have needed to be fit properly/correctly.

This is true and believe it or don't...it doesn't matter to me.

I can walk into a Gun Shop & pick out a Colt off the shelf and function check it...look at it and hand cycle three dummy rounds through it and I can then tell if it's going to function perfectly or not during actual use.
    I can tell from that if it's going to be a diamond or a dog.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

What stinkin' memo?

Have to adimit mine has reliability issues with anything other than the Wilson Mags.... But I also have to say this is not limited to my micro... have heard and witnessed LOTS of 1911's being particular to ammo and magazines...
    If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    stove pipes are from not keeping your wrist straight...and that may be the cause of alot of short barreled 1911's...they are lighter and recoil a bit more than a heavy 5''.
    For the record I carry a kimber ultra carry II, and never had problems...for anyone that does...I will take them off your hands...cheap of course....as the don't work...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

OD*
    You said you wanted "first hand experience" with space travel.
    Again, no I did not.

if you want to travel in space, I would ask someone who actually worked on rockets, not someone that has only read about them.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by HKManP2000 View Post
    I can only go on the collective (and reported) experiences of the entire universe of 1911 owners/users.

So let me get this straight, you've talked to the ENTIRE UNIVERSE of 1911 owners / users.

If I wanted to buy a Chevy, I wouldn't talk to a Ford dealer.

When I want info I'll ask people that KNOW, not people that can recite others info. To get an actual scientific analysis we'd need the number of ALL 3" 1911s in the field, and then find the number that have faults. And we don't have that info.
    Well said.

Most people are quicker to complain, than to praise.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    I don't have a serious bias for or against any well-made firearm......I like 'em all. My favorite ccw guns (no order intended) are Colt, Sig and Glock.

Regarding 1911's, I've had a Colt Govt model series 70 that I bought NIB about 30 years ago, totally dependable, and I carried it on duty for many years, it now resides on my bedside table. I recently bought a Colt Defender to cc and it shoots perfect just as it came out of the box.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Sigh..... The Brady page must have copied and pasted from the Cult of JMB on how to deny evidence, twist logic, and ignore facts in favor of emotion. Cheers.

Out.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I was originally having a severe FTF problem with 230 gr. ammo in my Ultra Carry II. I replaced the stock recoil spring with a 21 lb Wolff spring and haven't had a malfunction since.

Last edited by TimM; November 25th, 2007 at 07:29 PM.

Administrator
    Nice Photo there TimM & good shooting ripping the middle out of that targ.

I was originally having a severe FTF problem with my Ultra Carry II. I replaced the stock recoil spring with a 21 lb Wolff spring and haven't had a malfunction since.
    It's usually simple stuff like this to get your 1911 up to H&K reliability. Don't keep the tolerances drum-tight, experiment with mags & springs - find what works and you should be good to go.

It takes some effort to tune the 1911, but once it's done I've yet to find a handgun with the ergonomics and sweet, sweet trigger break of the 1911. If you never handled and fired a totally reliable 1911 - don't because you'll be spending more money on new 1911's.

I used to be all young & cocky & think that Glock & H&K were THE ONLY guns one should ever deal with; 1911 disciples were all old World War II vets looking to recapture their youth (folks like Jeff Cooper). Boy, was I wrong. An older friend of mine insisted that I fire his tuned 1911 bullseye & carry pieces and I was like "WOW - now I see what you old guys are talking about". 10 years on & a trip to Gunsite and I'm a disciple.

As an aside, our 3" 1911's eat springs. I wouldn't go over 500 rounds on my carry gun recoil spring.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

My Kahr PM45 is proving them wrong!!

Maybe because it has a 3.14" barrel and not 3".

I only have one question, If the 1911 is so bad, why do sig and S&W make one now? Sooner or later all manufactures will probably be making one. I can see glock making one for the 45glock caliber. Everyone eventually gets around to making what is tried and true.

Administrator
    Catalina brought up some great points and I'm not just saying that because I agree with everything he said.

But, one thing (especially important) is that you really should change your recoil springs More Often in stubby 1911s.
    They are tough on recoil springs.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Ya know I wondered about the spring lifespan and asked a tech at SA about the one in my Micro. He said to look for fliers or groups opening up. I said that the center rod had started to unscrew at 2500 rounds but no malfunctions were noticed. He said I'll send you a free one under warranty! I asked about replacing at a certain round count and he said much depended on the loads used so there was no magic formula. A little over 1500 on this new one and the groups are still good and running very smooth with no malfunctions. Much of the shooting is done on mid range power reloads so that may be part of the difference.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links