bulldog carry questions

This is a discussion on bulldog carry questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK,I just got a CA Bulldog from a friend and am gonna start carrying it....who carries one (or one of similar size..k frame size)and how? ...

Thread: bulldog carry questions

bulldog carry questions

OK,I just got a CA Bulldog from a friend and am gonna start carrying it....who carries one (or one of similar size..k frame size)and how?
    I could actually pocket carry it w/ a shorter grip.Just wondering about you guys....oh yeah and what ammo do you carry too in 44spl.
    thanks

Charter Arms Bull Dog

photo added 4 the newbies by QKS
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

2. Remove Ads

very cool, i've done wheel gun in .357 with 7 shot, i'd try a .44 just for kicks...hope ya get some good replys.

Yeah it may take some adjustment..I now carry a 642 in my pocket..it weighs like 15 oz,the BD weighs 22 oz.I like the idea of 5 round sof 44 as opposed to 38+p,not that I plan on being a super hero or anything...and I'll still mostly carry the 38,but so far I love the 44.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have 3 of the old C.A. bulldogs in 44 spec. It is hard to find a holster to fit. I ordered an OWB holster from Simply Rugged in Alaska. Rob Leahy was very good to deal with and I had the holster in just 2 weeks. I use 200 gr. hollow points and am very satisfied with their performance, at least at the range.
    44 spec is not the cheapest thing to shoot ammo wise, but it is very easy to conceal and something about being on the business end of this pistol and seeing those hollowpoints; well, it's intimidating at the very least.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Bulldog

I carried my old school Bulldog as a car gun for a long time. Only stopped when I got a smaller car with a smaller console. On those quick "run to get milk" trips I carried it Mexican or in a back pocket. It gets by for those trips or when I didn't have a bigger gun on, like on the way home from work. For serious use get good leather. Fist makes one for it IIRC, Don Hume also. I sometimes carry a snub K frame in a Fist. My CA had wood grips and had Magsafe in it, Silvertips in a couple of speedloaders in the car. Mine shot good with Federal LSWCHP, but the bullets get beat up bouncing around in speedloaders, not an issue if you use a pouch, bad if they're loose in a glove box. It hated Gold Dot and shot it like buckshot patterns.

VIP Member
    Tony, I just got a Bulldog earlier this month. Here is the thread I started about it.

What I have not posted prior to now is my experience carrying the Bulldog on Tuesday night of this week. I have an FFL and one of the things I do is transfers for guns auctioned and raffled at club banquets. Last Tuesday a town close by had their Ducks Unlimited banquet and I went over. Usually for something like this where I will be unpacking guns, doing a lot of bending and stretching I don't carry my S&W 1066. I have up until this week just carried my Kel-Tec P32 in my left front pocket. I decided that I would put the Bulldog in my left front pocket and carry it that way for an hour and see how it worked. I figured that if it was OK for that hour I'd carry it to the banquet.

I don't yet have a pocket holster, but the Bulldog rode very well in the pocket because of the length of the grip. I had on a pair of Dockers and the back of the grip sat about 3/4" below the opening of the pocket with the top of the barrel riding right down the front of the pocket. It felt good so I carried it to the banquet. I was there for about 3 hours. I unpacked the guns and put the shipping boxes under a table, I walked around talking to people, and I ate. After the guns were bought and won I gave the individuals the 4473 forms to fill out and squatted down next to them at the table to make sure they understood all the places they had to fill out. I then took the forms and called them in. After the approvals I crawled under the table to get the packing boxes in case they wanted them and then I drove home. At no time was the gun uncomfortable. It didn't move around in my pocket no matter what I did and no one noticed it. I would have not problems carrying it even without a holster in the future. I have two holsters ordered and will probably carry the Bulldog more after I get them. I will be putting some more rounds through my Bulldog this weekend. So far I have had no problems at all with it.

I am carrying Hornady XTP 180 gr. JHP ammo in it. I also have some CCI Blazer in 200 gr. JHP that I have practiced with. I expect to pick up some more practice ammo this weekend.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I love pocket carry.....it does fit my Desantis k frame holster though.This is a 1st generation and has a bobbed hammer.It's really accurate w/ the loads I've shot so far.Gold dots and some cheap cowboy loads.The GD's may be my carry load.Tomarrow I'm going to try pocket carrying it and see how it goes..I have afew errands to do around town......

VIP Member
    What dr_cmg said. The 44 is bigger, and bigger is better. I do highly suggest it always rides in some kind of pocket holster that keeps the lint out and covers the trigger guard, and it looks like you have a good one. Although my UCDP is IWB, I like pocket carry for my backup 415ti or P3-AT.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I have an old Rossi 44 special. The choice of defensive ammo is really limited to Winchester, Blazer and Corbon DPX. I have all three but it is loaded with Corbon DPX.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I would love to hear a range report on one of these.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

well I've only had a few rounds through it but here's my range report.
    I fired speer gold dots at SD distances (like 7 yards) at paper plates.good hits double action semi rapid fire.Can make good hits doing double taps too.Also shot some hand loads that had to be pushing magnum status....also good hits,but way too much recoil for double taps.I fired some cowboy loads,and aside from too much smoke to actually see the target,they were accurate enough.The trigger on this gun is alot smoother than I'd heard CA triggers are.all in all I find the gun to be a great ccw choice,no hang ups or problems of any kind.

update:I sent to CA and got the small rubber combat grips....they're awesome for ccw.I actually pocket carried it since saturday.I shot the gun monday w/ the small grips..let's just say they're not "range trip grips".if plan on shooting more than a few rounds I'll put the big ones back on.The good news is they point naturally,and have the feel of j frame grips.Love my new carry peice.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Glad it is working out for you. I carry mine quite often and find it easy to conceal as well.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Carried mine in the inside breast pocket of my uniform jacket while a cop.
    Carried it elsewhere about my long tall carcass on duty and off.
    Good reliable piece.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Links