How old is this GLOCK 17?

This is a discussion on How old is this GLOCK 17? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was in a area gunshop last week when I noticed a Ist Generation 17 mixed in with the 9mm handguns. Had the guy pull it ...

Thread: How old is this GLOCK 17?

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar

How old is this GLOCK 17?

Was in a area gunshop last week when I noticed a Ist Generation 17 mixed in with the 9mm handguns.

Had the guy pull it out. Police trade in, marked MPDC, considerable slide wear, frame and internals not so much wear, serial numbers match, old night sights that are dimmer than dim........ Interesting looking piece.

Original box and accessories, one original mag, one crappy aftermarket mag that I tossed. Gave the guy $340.00 for it, and it is a sweet shooter.

Two questions; Approx. when was it made? Serial #FE 2##.

The original Glock mag fits very tightlly in the mag well and does not drop free when released. I put in a brand spanking new GLOCK 17 mag and it clicks into place with authority and drops free when I hit the button. Why?

Should I carry only current production magazines in this old gem?

2. Remove Ads

Check out http://www.topglock.com/dating.htm Enter the serial number, and it will give you the manufacture date.

The original mag are non drop free, they where made that way. The new ones are drop free. As far as the date they switch to drop free I am not sure.

As long as it shoot with no malfunctions I would carry it. Change all the spring, you should be good to go.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Early 80's? I don't believe that the original Glock mag's were drop free mag's thus the newer mag drop's free. Good gun but it is probably worth $200.00 - $225.00 out of a gun store.

It's fine to carry/use the current production mag's in the old work horse.

Here is a good source to check things out on your 17.

http://www.glockfaq.com/markings.htm

glock 17 drop free mags came out around 1990. we had the non drop free mags at work and in late 1990 we change them out for the new drop free mags.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy View Post
    Check out http://www.topglock.com/dating.htm Enter the serial number, and it will give you the manufacture date.

The original mag are non drop free, they where made that way. The new ones are drop free. As far as the date they switch to drop free I am not sure.

As long as it shoot with no malfunctions I would carry it. Change all the spring, you should be good to go.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by LVLabs View Post
    Early 80's? I don't believe that the original Glock mag's were drop free mag's thus the newer mag drop's free. Good gun but it is probably worth $200.00 - $225.00 out of a gun store.

It's fine to carry/use the current production mag's in the old work horse.

Here is a good source to check things out on your 17.

http://www.glockfaq.com/markings.htm

Thanks much! That is an interesting link you provided me.

No disrespect, but if you can find $200.00 GLOCKS in a gunshop, your local market must be much different than mine. Around here, there ain't no such thing as a GLOCK that cheap. Two acquaintances of mine are trying to buy mine at a so-so profit to me, simply because they want a 1st Gen 17 and can't find one for a decent price. It's far from a beater gun, just some good honest holster wear on the slide.

I'm going to keep it. Carrying it right now...........

Sorry, "I actually ment out of a gun store" to mean if you or I were selling it out right we would probably only get that for it or if you were buying from an individual with the night sites dim that are no good anymore and needing replaced it's about worth that much ($200.00 - $225.00) that is.

At least to me because I will have to spend another $100.00 on night sites if I really wanted them again so with $340.00 for the Glock and another $80-$100 give or take for sights you are in new Glock territory price range. I know the allure is the 1st gen frame but I couldn't justify the amount at $340.00. Now if I have $340.00 invested in the Glock out the door with new night sights, I can do that all day.

Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy View Post

Well, I tried that site and it doesn't seem to be working. I entered my serial number from my G23 and I get an error message.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

G17 starting with "FE" prefix is April, 1989.

Old and new mags should function fine, but you may want to change the 18 year old spring on the original mag!

Sponsor
    First gen g17's actually command a bit of a premium and are bcoming collectable now.

If anyone finds a g17 of any generation for 200-225, snap it up. The seller doesn't know what he's doing.

My first gen g17 has just over 80K through it presently. Broke the trigger return spring at 72,300 or thereabouts which was the first failure on this firearm. I've had it since 89 I think, bought it used for considerably less than a new one at the time as the seller thought it had a lot of rds through it [ 2500 ].

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by LVLabs View Post
    Sorry, "I actually ment out of a gun store" to mean if you or I were selling it out right we would probably only get that for it or if you were buying from an individual with the night sites dim that are no good anymore and needing replaced it's about worth that much ($200.00 - $225.00) that is.

At least to me because I will have to spend another $100.00 on night sites if I really wanted them again so with $340.00 for the Glock and another $80-$100 give or take for sights you are in new Glock territory price range. I know the allure is the 1st gen frame but I couldn't justify the amount at $340.00. Now if I have $340.00 invested in the Glock out the door with new night sights, I can do that all day.

Ah. I see what you are saying......
    I understand your reasoning now.

I won't likely be replacing the night sights, since I was mainly after the 1st Gen original pistol itself, so I don't think I got hurt too badly...

Thanks for posting!

Links