Purse gun in 357mag variety, not a jframe though.

This is a discussion on Purse gun in 357mag variety, not a jframe though. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to get my wife a purse gun. She works late a couple of nights and she won't carry a holster yet so ...

Thread: Purse gun in 357mag variety, not a jframe though.

I would like to get my wife a purse gun. She works late a couple of nights and she won't carry a holster yet so a purse carry is what she will end up doing. She can handle full power 357's so the round isn't a issue the revolver size is. I was thinking of a 686 but I think the muzzle blast out of a 2 1/2" may be a bit excessive so I was thinking of a 3" revolver. She also has trouble with j-frames.

Any advice on what smith and wesson model to look at, I would like to stay with smith as that is what she is familiar with.

Administrator
    3" SP101 with some aftermarket grips... but please work on her about the purse carry thing. Its a horrible way to carry.
    "Just blame Sixto"

s&w model 19 in 4 inch will work well. they make several good purses that are made for guns. most have a special pocket where the guns goes and you can get the gun out fast. galco makes a good one. my wife has one that she found at a gun show, don't know the brand. the gun holster/pocket is in the middle and she can get the gun out fast.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    If the purse strap is worn across to the other shoulder, and the strap has chain or cable reinforcing inside to resist a blade, it can be used as a first step towards a better, on body method of carry. The minute the purse is off body and out of arms reach her control of the weapon is lost.

A shrouded or hammerless revolver might be a good choice, and the S&W 642 with 38spl +P (DPX) is no slouch. The SP101 would be a top choice also.

Paxton Quigley has written some great books for women. http://www.corneredcat.com by Kathy Jackson is a great site for the gals. Also Betty and Limatunes would be great for suggestions about on body carry.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Sometimes one does not carry because of the weight or bulk of the gun. I think that each of us has some limit as to what weight and size we will carry.

So even though the J-frame might not be wanted, I still believe that a hammerless light weight J-frame is the best choice. Personally the Smith 642 would be my choice.

Jerry

S&W model 65?

You want a Smith & Wesson revolver in .357 magnum that has a barrel of 3 inches and is not a J frame.

The obvious choice would be the K frame model 65, a stainless 6 shot revolver with fixed sights that was widely manufactured in 3 and 4 inch versions. Some people consider these to be the "ultimate" carry revolver in the 3 inch barrel length. S&W also marketed a variation on this called the "Lady Smith" with 3 inch barrel and nice wood grips.

Here are two links to Gunbroker auctions on this gun:

Gunbroker auction on 3 inch model 65

Gunbroker auction on S&W Ladysmith revolver

The size, weight, and especially the stud/frame design of the 3" SP101 really shines in this category...particularly if one is contemplating shooting .357s. I shoot the 2.25"/DAO model and have had no reason to exchange factory grips for aftergrips. See if you two can both find an opportunity to shoot one side by side with a Kframe. My hunch is that you'll find it (the SP design) more user friendly (in terms of perceived recoil).

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    3" SP101 with some aftermarket grips... but please work on her about the purse carry thing. Its a horrible way to carry.
    +1... totally agree with SIXTO.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

What about dan wesson revolvers are they good and reliable?

I got my wife a S&W PC 327 - 2" barrel 8 shot .357 - although it is loaded with .38 +Ps. She likes it because its "cute" and has "pretty grips". I'm just glad she likes it - although I guess if she didn't it would just be another gun for me.

Austin

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
    What about dan wesson revolvers are they good and reliable?
    They are OK, but I'd much rather see you buy a Ruger or S&W.

I think you will be much happier in the long run.
    "Just blame Sixto"

B52
    +1 for the sp101. My wife has one and has no problem shooting full house loads out of it. She also carries it in a CCW purse, I keep trying to talk her into CCW on her person. It is very hard to change a woman's mind...She does love my MP9C also...

Quote Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
    ...She can handle full power 357's so the round isn't a issue the revolver size is...
    I would add another vote for the SP101. And I might suggest you take a look at the new version Ruger has just releasd. In .327 magnum with a 3" barrel. You get a super strong revolver chambered in a cartridge that comes close to .357 velocities with a reduction in perceived recoil.

"The new .327 Federal Magnum offers muzzle energy twice that of .38 Special +P loads, and velocities comparable to a 125-grain .357 Magnum, with 20 percent less recoil in its hottest version. Designed specifically for use in lightweight small-frame revolvers, the .327 Federal Magnum allows a six-round cylinder compared to five-round capacity for similar-sized .38 Special and .357 Magnum guns" Shooting Times Magazine

There is a definite relationship between pistol size/weight and perceived recoil. The SP101 is smaller than the K frame S&W mentioned above, yet much sturdier than the J frames. The reduced blast/recoil from the new combo by Ruger is designed to fill just the niche you may be looking at.

With the lower recoiling round you could get away with dressing it up with some more stylish wooden grips for your wife.
    Attached Images
    "....CONSTANT VIGILANCE"

HOGUE CUSTOM 1911
    Classic Hi-Power
    P7M8 SP101
    GP100

HKR
    Another vote for the SP-101. It is probably my wifes favorite of our house guns. I keep it loaded with .38+P and the weight makes the recoil a non issue.

Links