You know, how DO they decide...

This is a discussion on You know, how DO they decide... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just reading a thread on THR where I wondered why Ruger doesn't make a 5 shot capacity GP-100 in a .44 chambering. It ...

Thread: You know, how DO they decide...

You know, how DO they decide...

I was just reading a thread on THR where I wondered why Ruger doesn't make a 5 shot capacity GP-100 in a .44 chambering. It seems completely feasible and they'd sell tons of them.

I like my XD but the fact that you can't get it in .45 ACP is a bummer. Glock started with a 9x19 chambering and managed to make a .45 ACP so logically Springfield can too.

Then I began to think... how DO gun companies decide what to make? There's all sorts of stuff I wish existed that could realistically be made, but it isn't.

I'm not talking about weird stuff that would be unpopular either, just things that really would sell should come in a slightly different configuration, like a 686 with a 3 inch barrel.

You think the gun companies would pick up on this stuff. I hate to draw a parrallel, but the president of Spyderco knives, Sal Glesser, posts on several internet forums and actually makes things his customers want and when they come to fruition, the first run of 500 units or so invariably sells out.

But when's the last time you saw someone from a gun company come out and do something like that?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Not at all sure Euc - what drives decision-making processes. I guess for most part big businesses try to play to a market - hopefully as they see it a large and thus profitable market.

Trouble is with the ''big boys'' I doubt they do any survey stuff on any scale sufficient to get a feel for what folks want - making I guess a fair assumption that if what they put out sells then make more and keep making more!

Re 44 for an SP size snub well - naturally cyl will be bigger and frame also need uprated a bit - this could well be regarded as ''limited market'' - and now there is an Alaskan available as a small(er) heavy cal revo.

I don't know that there is much not available I'd really like or specify - well not that'd ever see the light of day into mass production!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Euc, you're talking about Ruger. They won't just drill one less chamber for the larger cartridge. The cylinder will have to have a net mass increase of 30%, probably another 20-30% reinforcing the frame, and maybe a 5% increase in barrel wall thickness.

Now. Do you really want to carry a 26 pound, 5 shot .44 Mag?

Guys
    Basically, it sounds more like "liability" issues........maybe.....maybe not

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    If I were running a gun company, or any other type of company that had a bunch of net forums associated with the products I manufactured/sold, I'd have my sales staff constantly watching the forums to see what the customers wanted.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Lightbulb Sales

Not complicated--in order to build a product, you need to have some idea of the sales the product might produce.

S&W 696--5 shot L frame 44 Special.

S&W 296 same thing.

Neither set the world on fire, and while I would buy a Ruger GP 100 fixed sight gun in 44 Special, how many others would? I am sure Ruger does market research.

Next, is the ammo problem. There is no SAAMI spec for a +P 44 Special and there never will be as long as the same people are running SAAMI. In fact from what I hear, there will NEVER be any more +P designated ammo by SAMMI.

The pressure limits by SAAMI for 44 Special are very low, and as a result, in order to really make use of the modern high quality 44 Special guns, it is necessary to handload.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I was just using that as an example guys. I'm meaning in general.

For instance I know some people really want a BHP in .45 GAP but I haven't seen that yet either.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    For instance I know some people really want a BHP in .45 GAP but I haven't seen that yet either.

I hadn't thought of such an animal, but I would like that very much.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Glock makes enough sales to afford to add different grip sizes etc to their lineup, the equivalent to S&W adding a new frame size.

Springfield doesn't market enough guns to add a .45 ACP chambering - and thus, the GAP was born to fit in the existing .40 recievers.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

My local gunshop has a Taurus SS 6 shot .41 Mag 2.5". $410.

That would be plenty for me. Very few of us would be interested in firing more than one full power .44 Mag round from a smaller revolver.

It keeps talking to me every time I walk by it!
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

Moondoggie

I have a Stainless Taurus Model 415 in .41mag. It is a 5 shot cylinder and the barrel is 2 1/2" & ported. Are you sure the one you are looking at is 6 shot???
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Thought it was a six shooter...could be wrong; have been before, probably will be again. Haven't handled it yet. I'll have to check next time I'm in the store.

IIRC the tag said Mod 415...Duh! Think that could stand for .41 caliber, 5 shot??? This one is also ported.

This gun dealer is semi-retired and takes all the time off he wants, so you never really know when he'll be open. Fortunately his shop is only 8 blocks from my house.

Even if it only holds 5, that's enough .41 Mag for me at short bbl pistol range.

I'm thinking about this one IF we ever get CCW in NE. Good excuse, eh?

Ten Thousand Gomens for piping up when I don't know what I'm talking about!
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

Links