Hk P30

This is a discussion on Hk P30 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here have a HK P30? How do you carry it if you do? I spotted one in the rgun store the other day ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hk P30

Hk P30

Does anyone here have a HK P30? How do you carry it if you do?

I spotted one in the rgun store the other day and got to hold it, it was pretty sweet! The guys at HK did a great job on the trigger, esp. the DA pull. It fit my hand like a glove and the gun is completely ambidextrous, a plus for a lefty like me! The only problem is that I haven't seen a holster maker that has the mold for it yet.

BTW, I took a look at the HK 45 too and it's a really nice piece, too bad it only holds 10 rds.

2. Remove Ads

I have yet to fondle one, they look nice from what I have seen. That HK45 is what I am waiting for.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Lucky.

I can't wait to check them both out. I'm fairly sure my next pistol will be one of the new HK's.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

JD
    Administrator
    I've been looking at them a lot on-line, I think I may get one as long as it comes with the LEM trigger. The HK .45 looks pretty nice too, but I have to wonder what happened to the 12 rounds available in the USP to the 10 rounds in the new HK 45?

No word on when the LEM trigger will be available for the P30. That's what I am waiting for.

I wish I would have waited on buying my P2000, that looks interesting.

I handled one that landed here in a local gun store. The grip is comfortable; if one needs to makes adjustments, it comes with extra panels and backstraps. The DA side of the DA/SA is typically long and sloppy of European triggers. The SA side is crisp. Fit and finish are, of course, well done, as one would expect from HK. The decocker is a button on the back of the slide, the same as on the P2000. Barrel length is just under 4" and the magazine holds 15 rounds. It is a good quality semi-compact service pistol.

At $900 though, is it worth it? Instead, spend around $550, and you can buy a Beretta PX4 or an IWI Baby Eagle polymer semi-compact model, and you get pretty much the same thing: Polymer frame, DA/SA trigger, barrel just under 4", and at least 15 rounds in the mag. The Baby Eagle has polygonal rifling as the HK does. Granted, the snob appeal is not there with the latter two choices, but I doubt seriously if your extra money is buying a better pistol with the HK.

I picked mine up today, trading in my Glock Model 22. This is truly the best feeling handgun I have ever had the chance to hold. The interchangability of the backstraps and sides make it truly a pistol everyone can enjoy. While I don't CCW in my state (IL), I don't plan to CCW it in FL when I travel, instead probably using my p2000sk instead.

You really owe it to yourself to at least LOOK at it and see if its something you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Hume View Post
    At $900 though, is it worth it? Instead, spend around $550, and you can buy a Beretta PX4 or an IWI Baby Eagle polymer semi-compact model, and you get pretty much the same thing: Polymer frame, DA/SA trigger, barrel just under 4", and at least 15 rounds in the mag. The Baby Eagle has polygonal rifling as the HK does. Granted, the snob appeal is not there with the latter two choices, but I doubt seriously if your extra money is buying a better pistol with the HK.
    Sir,

I had this same question when looking for my CCW gun. What the P2000SK worth that much more over the XD's, MP's, Glocks, etc...and even Sig 239.

The answer was a resounding YES.

I had nearly 1900 rds inside a couple months shooting as much as 400rds per session.

Not 1 issue- ever and I tossed some cheap ammo at it...silver bear, tried 5 other types of ammo- flawless.

Sold it to get the P30 or sig 250- but the more I read the more I am almost sure I wan the P30.

Held the Ruger SR9. Eh...not bad, but I don't think it's for me.

I am small hands.

The grip of a double stack tends to always be a bit big. I am hoping with the smallest/thinnest grip panels and backstrap it will be perfect in my hand.

Now, the Euro has hit a 2yr high against the dollar, so we are paying just for exchange rate issues. That's a bummer but the way it goes.

I also owned a PX4 and bought 4 extended mags and universal hougue grip.

With the smallest backstrap it was pretty good.

Good enough gun.

But just wasn't an HK. Was more polymer on the top end than my P20000SK.

I think it's worth the premium over the other stuff.

I'd spend more on ammo in 2-3 mos than the difference in price.
    Regards,

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by allamricn View Post
    I While I don't CCW in my state (IL), I don't plan to CCW it in FL when I travel, instead probably using my p2000sk instead.

You really owe it to yourself to at least LOOK at it and see if its something you like!
    Sold my SK to get the P30 as I carried her with the 13rd mag with Xgrip mostly. Figure d the P30 was THAT much bigger and hoping the grip can be really small for me.
    Regards,

Dean

Personally, I think you'd be better off with the P2000 or P2000 SK as a CCW. Both are smaller, but will still accept the P30 mags as spares (9mm) and have the same controls.

I carry a P2000 SK (9mm, DA/SA) with P30 spare mags.

I'm interested in the P30L (not yet in the US) for house duty. I can use the same mags and have the same controls, but with a long barrel and more distance between the sights.

As for holsters, I think the P30 will be a challenge for a while. The P2000 and P2000 SK have a fairly good selection OTOH.

-john

All I know is I really want to hold one. I have read several articles and all the authors have said that is is the softest shooting 9mm they have ever fired. So follow up shots should be no problem at all.

I want to hold one and shoot one if I can. It looks promising to me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Well, I plan on getting BOTH the P30 and the HK 45. On the latter, the reason the 12 rd mag was sacrificed was to make the grip circumference slightly smaller. A more steeply packed double column mag is what gives the +2rd capacity on the old USP (I have one I'm selling) so to slim the grip, HK got to huddling with co-designer Larry Vickers and they decided that a double column mag where the rounds were only slightly staggered would do the trick. PLUS they have the interchangeable back straps. Larry Vickers, you might recall was the original armorer for the Combat Applications Group aka SFOD-D aka the famed "Delta Force." I think the round to size ratio for the 1911 is unacceptable. All that mass for just 7 or 8 rds. OTOH, I think that 10 +1 up the pipe is perfectly acceptable. I would agree that if 8+1 45's can't do the job, then you're over your head to start with, but I feel most comfortable with the +3 bump in capacity while still having superb ergonomics.

For the P30, I too, read the article where it was touted as the 9mm with the softest recoil, ever. That would lend itself to increased accuracy. My guess is that an outfit like Mec-Gar will come along and gin up a 17rd flush fitting mag as they did for the Beretta M92 and the Sig P226. Heck Sig themselves just started to offer a 20rd mag selling from their website for the P226 at about $50.

I'll probably get GALCO "Concealable" holster for leather OWB carry and a Crossbreed "Super Tuck Deluxe" to IWB for each. I might also get a Blade Tech for IWB that requires a cover garment. The Crossbreed doesn't require any sort of cover garment besides the shirt. That makes it perfect for South Florida summers.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Personally, I think you'd be better off with the P2000 or P2000 SK as a CCW. Both are smaller, but will still accept the P30 mags as spares (9mm) and have the same controls.

I carry a P2000 SK (9mm, DA/SA) with P30 spare mags.

I'm interested in the P30L (not yet in the US) for house duty. I can use the same mags and have the same controls, but with a long barrel and more distance between the sights.

As for holsters, I think the P30 will be a challenge for a while. The P2000 and P2000 SK have a fairly good selection OTOH.
    -john
    For me- I simply required a smaller grip circumference than the SK offered. I'm not a small guy and in casual clothes can conceal a full sized gun with no issues.

I agree though - it's NICE to have the flat base plate mags on the SK making for a very short grip...great for CCW.

I got the SK over the P2000 becuase of it's flexibility. But- I really never needed to go below 13rd mags w/ Xgrip and the P2000 offered a smaller backstrap choice which I didn't know.

I really feel the P30 will be a great CCW choice for me.

Also, if one can enjoy shooting their CCW and shoot it a lot as long as it has decent capacity I think it's ideal to use the CCW as a 'night stand' gun as that will be what you are most familiar with.

Even when i had the Beretta PX4 with extended mags (21rds total) I actually kept the SK w/ 13rd mag and 1 in the pipe as my night stand gun.

btw, I carry a S&W 642 .38 special everywhere, always 'cos ya never know.
    Regards,

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Well, I plan on getting BOTH the P30 and the HK 45. On the latter, the reason the 12 rd mag was sacrificed was to make the grip circumference slightly smaller. A more steeply packed double column mag is what gives the +2rd capacity on the old USP (I have one I'm selling) so to slim the grip, HK got to huddling with co-designer Larry Vickers and they decided that a double column mag where the rounds were only slightly staggered would do the trick. PLUS they have the interchangeable back straps. Larry Vickers, you might recall was the original armorer for the Combat Applications Group aka SFOD-D aka the famed "Delta Force." I think the round to size ratio for the 1911 is unacceptable. All that mass for just 7 or 8 rds. OTOH, I think that 10 +1 up the pipe is perfectly acceptable. I would agree that if 8+1 45's can't do the job, then you're over your head to start with, but I feel most comfortable with the +3 bump in capacity while still having superb ergonomics.

For the P30, I too, read the article where it was touted as the 9mm with the softest recoil, ever. That would lend itself to increased accuracy. My guess is that an outfit like Mec-Gar will come along and gin up a 17rd flush fitting mag as they did for the Beretta M92 and the Sig P226. Heck Sig themselves just started to offer a 20rd mag selling from their website for the P226 at about $50.
    In what situation would you prefer the HK45 over the P30?

As I read Thank God I Had a Gun: True Accounts of Self-Defense of course I placed myself in the situations.

Granted, we cannot plan for everything. However, I kept thinking "More rounds is better- period". as I read through the scenarios.

I have a bunch of Shootout shows Tivo'd. I kept thinking- more rounds is better. :)

"Studies may show..." the average gun fight is x amount of rounds, but I don't want to barley cover the "average". If it's not a burden to carry more rounds then I'd opt for more rounds.

I'd like a Les Baer for the range. But man- 45 is nearly 2x as pricey as 9mm.

PS- See the news reports we (Orlando) are now among the top cities for crime? Mayor is downplaying it and even the FBI stated the stats weren't employed properly in that report.

But.

Living her and beinga Realtor here...checking the Orlando Sentinel Crime Blog, reading the daily reports from OCP commander...

I tend to agree Orlando needs to take some action. Violent offenses with guns are *way* up. There are a LOT of real life situations with more than1 bad guy. More rounds will always be better to me.

No argument...I am just curious when you'd prefer to grab the HK45 over the P30?
    Regards,

Dean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links