steelframe Kahr vs G26 vs XDSC- durability?

This is a discussion on steelframe Kahr vs G26 vs XDSC- durability? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On the hunt for a new CC gun, but would like to go with something I can shoot alot (knocking out keltec) and can shoot ...

Thread: steelframe Kahr vs G26 vs XDSC- durability?

On the hunt for a new CC gun, but would like to go with something I can shoot alot (knocking out keltec) and can shoot more accurately (knocking out higher than 9 mm in such a small subcompact). note- I want to be able to dry-fire the gun, since my local range does not allow drawing, and I wouldn't practice drawing from concealment in public anyway- since I often carry in deep concealment

I know the Glock reputation is great for durability, but the size isn't as nice as the Kahr. I'm hoping the XD grip will be better for my hands- I cannot reach the mag drop on the glock, and the 26/27 is just a bit short for me when shooting .40, though I have not shot it in the 9 mm.

I had previously discounted Kahr due to reliability issues/ experiences with some of the polymer frame guns, but on further research have never come accross a problem with a steel-frame version (mk9).

is frequent shooting and dry-firing contraindicated in the Kahr's?

Anyone have any negative input on steel-frame Kahrs? no need to post neg. remarks on the polmer frame version- have enough personal experience there to never consider it! :)

Any drop-safe issues with the kahr or xd? working with horses means the gun must be safe to throw on the ground from decent heights, get kicked, maybe even stepped on . All guns can fail, I realize, but anything not known to be impact-safe is not suitable for my personal CCW.

I will be more likely to carry a kahr-sized gun with me more places than a glocksc or xdsc, but don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I can't shoot a bunch and get good with.

after reading all this i think you should get a g26

I had a Kahr PM-9. Got my money back from factory.

Now have two Glock G-26's. His and hers. I shoot ~500 rds a month and the Glock eats anything I feed it and it is very corrosion resistant. I have not had any FTF, FTE, or FTB with the Glock(s).

I recommend the Glock.

I do not have the XD, but hear alot of good things about them.

See what feels best in your hand.

Keep us posted on what you do

If I was going to get a steel frame Kahr it would be the K9. If I were going to choose between the XD & G26 it would be the Glock 26. If I were going to choose between the K9 and G26 then it would come down to whether or not I wanted more than seven rounds of 9mm, 9mm+P, or 9mm +P+.

please excuse the ignorance, but I didn't realize there was such thing as 9mm +p.... somehow thought it was only a revolver ammo thing :) So, are you suggesting that +p isn't ok in the smaller gun?

Why choose the K9 over the MK9? I'm going for concealability... is there a quality difference between the two?

as to why I want the Kahr to work so much, I have serious doubts about my ability to comfortably conceal the thick G26 on a daily basis, though it has probably the best reputation.... I have only shot the .40 cal versions of all but the XDSC9, and that one I shot with the mag extension... so not sure how a flush mag (i.e. cc mag) would feel.

I do know I felt the g27 (.40) felt like too little to hold onto for the amount of power/recoil when I shot it. am currently trying to locate a g26 (9mm) to shoot before making the decision, to see if it is the same feeling or not.

as a side note, I think a G30 or maybe an XD .45 will be next on the list, after filling the CC need :) though it may be a while before funds will allow

If you are considering the Glock 26, you should also consider the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Compact and the CZ 2075 RAMI.

The M&P is polymer framed, and the 2075 is available with an aluminum or polymer frame (2075P)

If a really thin pistol is what you want, look no further than the Walther PPS.

Your choice

I love my MK9, nothing hides better other than a robaugh or a p11 keltec in an auto.

the MK9 is ruff and tuff. You should use snap caps if you are going to dry fire any gun.

I also have the XD45C and used to have a XD40SC. I love them also.

steve

I own a G 26 and it is a great gun, reliable, easy to carry and shoot accurately. I also have a Kahr K40 and like it a lot too. Just as easy to carry, conceal and shoot accurately as my G 26. I heard the complaints about the poly framed Kahrs, so I went with the all steel K40. I've had NO problems with it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have both the Kahr P9 and PM9 . Both are rated for +p ( as are all kahrs ) . My Kahrs are boring, they work , they " shoot where they look " and they carry so well as to go un noticed . I dont own a steel Kahr but do know from experience they are also fine firearms .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by tellico View Post
    please excuse the ignorance, but I didn't realize there was such thing as 9mm +p.... somehow thought it was only a revolver ammo thing :) So, are you suggesting that +p isn't ok in the smaller gun?

Why choose the K9 over the MK9? I'm going for concealability... is there a quality difference between the two?
    Yes there is a such ammo as 9mm +P. Any revolver that is chambered for 9mm can fire 9mm, 9mm +P, and 9mm +P+ ammunition with the assistance of moon clips. I am not suggesting that 9mm +P ammo isn't a good choice of ammunition for the smaller sized 9mm handguns ( I think its the way to go ). I would choose the K9 over the MK9 just because of my preference. They are both fine instruments of defense. The difference between the two are a few inches in barrel length, height, and a slight weight difference.

I have a CW9 and never had a problem with it. Steve48

Just got my Kahr MK40 back from the factory. I had XS Big Dot sights installed and after 150 rounds at the range, man I love this gun!

Kahr MK9 for concealment

I have a Kahr MK9 and a Glock 19, but not a Glock 26. Given your emphasis on deep concealment and a gun with the smallest dimensions, I would go with the Kahr MK9. The Kahr is quite thin - 0.90 across the slide and about 0.96 across the stock grips. I believe it is also a little shorter than the G26 in length and height. So it would conceal better than the Glock.

The magazine capacity of the Kahr MK9 is less (6 or 7 - comes with 2 magazines), but that does not appear to be a consideration for you.

I think you could dry fire the MK9 all you want with a snap cap. The trigger resets with a very short pull on the slide (maybe 1/4 inch). The gun appears to be very strong and well constructed when you take it apart - all the stock parts are stainless except the recoil guide rod. And Kahr sells a stainless guide rod at extra cost (which I have).

As for horses stepping on it - I don't think I would want a horse stepping on any of my guns because they might break. You might consider a retention strap on your holster if this is a problem.

Here is my MK9 - the wood grips are a little thicker than the stock black nylon grip panels.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I've had a Glock 26, but no longer do. I currently have a Glock 19 (To replace the 26) & a Kahr PM9.

While I think the Glock 26 to be a phenomenal gun, I feel it's too big & heavy for deep concealment. I got the Glock 19, because it has a larger grip, better sighting radius, & isn't really any more difficult to conceal than the 26 in the normal way of concealing it (IWB or OWB with untucked shirt or cover garment).

I have & will continue to keep the PM9 because of it's smaller profile, allowing for pocket carry (& back pocket carry, in the right pants), & light weight. For me, it's a deep concealment gun. Yes, the trigger is longer, has a harder pull, & doesn't have the short re-set the Glock has. Training gets around that, along with knowing the guns' shortcomings. If I feel I need more range, then I carry my 19.

As to durability, well, I also got the 19 (& would've kept the 26 for this) for shooting at classes (Or when I know I'm going to run a high amount of ammo through the gun). I also got the Glock, knowing that it'll probably last longer than anything else out there W/O re-building it.

As to the XD, I've never owned one. I've shot them & they seem very much like Glocks to me. They're not, but they seem very similar. As to reliability, I know several PDs in my area (I'm on our gun committee for allowed firearms), that no longer issue the XDs because of reliability issues. Initially it was just one desert area PD, but the #'s have increased. I still would get a XD, but like the ability to get parts easily, cheaply, & ease of putting them in, makes me want to stay with the Glock.

I think it depends on your highest priority. If it's to have deeper concealment, then get the Kahr. If it's the ability to reliably put a "ton" of ammo through a gun, get the Glock.

Or, get both. Then save up & get a XD & compare it to the Glock for your own long term test...
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Sponsored Links