Debating on 3" gun Kahr/Colt input and prices

This is a discussion on Debating on 3" gun Kahr/Colt input and prices within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Current carry a G19 but looking for a smaller gun well just because :) Did the divorce and child custody thing, and judge gave me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debating on 3" gun Kahr/Colt input and prices

Debating on 3" gun Kahr/Colt input and prices

Current carry a G19 but looking for a smaller gun well just because :) Did the divorce and child custody thing, and judge gave me custody and as a stress reliever i'd like a new gun for Christmas or New Years

I've got a walther .380 that was my grandads but dont carry it because after seeing it bite my brother and almost biting me i dont want any hesitation thinking im about to get bit in a time a need.

I want something small.
    I'm thinking about a Kahr MK9/PM9,MK40/PM40 and the new PM45.
    After looking at some of the mini 1911 I'm liking the look of the Colt Defender but it has a different mode of carry vs the glock or the kahr pull trigger and bang.

I would like another caliber other than 9mm, i have a 9 and would like something bigger but wonder about would they have enough velocity out of a 3" but wont rule out the 9 simply becuase of price and i have ammo for it. If there are other 1911 minis input would be welcome or any other minis other than Glocks, have a 19 and I feel like the the subs are too big and alos no Keltecs I know they have a following but hey what can I say I want a pretty gun make that a pretty gun that works

So that being said anyone have any input on these guns and avg prices around TN area I hope I can keep it in the $700 range or cheaper

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Others may disagree (as some do with any suggestion(s))...but my Kimber CDP II Ultra (.45) is an excellent CCW weapon...I carry 85% of the time.
    Other times I CCW my Glock-36, a single stack .45 which is as easy to conceal as my Kimber...both wortk well.

I never liked Glocks until I held the G-36...don't discount it until you hold one...added night sights to mine! Great weapon!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why not a Sub Glock? There is not that much difference in width. If going with a Kahr for me it would be one of the steel frames K or MK series. If choosing a 1911 in 3" it would be the SA EMP or The Kimber UCDP which I have and love. Wouldn't rule out the P7 PSP's also that are available, great little ccw gun, scary accurate, awesome trigger, glad I pick one up.

Administrator
    The three inch 1911's can be great carry guns, but they really are not any smaller than your G19. Maybe a little, but not much.

If you want smaller, Kahr is the way to go. I like the 9mm Kahrs best, but I wouldnt turn down a 40.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Take a look at the CZ Rami. Available in both 9mm and 40 S&W. Also available in both steel or poly frame.

Kimber Ultra Carry II

I have been carrying a Kimber Ulta Carry II in a Comp-Tac Infidel holster (with strut)for about eight months now and I love it. It is very comfortable even with my large love handles.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/prod...products_id=68

Short barrel .45s

Quote Originally Posted by Daps View Post
    I would like another caliber other than 9mm. I have a 9mm and would like something bigger but wonder about would it have enough velocity out of a 3" barrel...I want a pretty gun make that a pretty gun that works...I hope I can keep it in the $700 range or cheaper.
    If I understand your posting, you would like a 3 inch 1911 in .45, but are concerned about the muzzle velocity in a 3 inch barrel. Here is a link to an interesting test done by Stephen Camp and published on his website "Hi Powers and Handguns":

Camp study of .45 velocity vs. barrel length

Camp fired the same Corbon 165 grain DPX .45 ammo from 3 different barrel lengths and recorded the velocities with a chronograph. Here are his results summarized:

5 inch barrel - 1217 fps - 100.0%
    4.25 inch barrel - 1178 fps - 96.8%
    3 inch barrel - 1082 fps - 88.9%

So the bottom line was that the 3 inch gun had 11% lower muzzle velocity with the same ammo as the 5 inch gun. But he recorded good expansion from the 3 inch gun, as shown in the photo below:

If you want a new 3 inch 1911 for about $700 new, I think your best bet is the basic Kimber Ultra Carry in black, which sells for about that price. Here is a link to a Gunbroker auction at $699 with a picture of the gun:

Gunbroker auction of Kimber Ultra Carry for $699

I reccomend,(and carry) a SA micro compact. A bit pricy, but a fantastic firearm.

MK9 -- 5.3" long x 4.0" tall x 0.9" wide

Colt Defender -- 7.0" long x 4.88" tall x 1.22" wide

From shooting a friend's Kahr K9, I can tell you that the trigger reach is fairly long. Make sure that's not a player if you have short fingers.

Shoot well,
    Herk

Thanks for all the replies guys. Keep them coming. I've had a Kahr K9 at one time and regret I still don't.

The 1911 stems from the old saying everyone should have one :)

My first look was at the MK9/MK40 series but then decided not to rule out the PM and then there is the new PM45

Another reason I ruled out a Glock is I wanted something other than a glock stupid as it may seem but wanted something by another maker also...

I know you said no 9mm but I'm going to ignore that and suggest you look at the new PPS from Walther

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976992938...pact_Carry.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/Walther-PPS.htm

Talk about thin...
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

I'm still tossed up would like one of the 3" 1911 but the are single action and carrying with safety on is the only real option am i correct?

With my 19 its pull the trigger bang if I went to a 1911 Id have to train with two different type of carry modes unless i practiced drawing my glock and sweeping a fake safety..

choices choice choices

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    I know you said no 9mm but I'm going to ignore that and suggest you look at the new PPS from Walther

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976992938...pact_Carry.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/Walther-PPS.htm

Talk about thin...

I havent ruled 9mm out I was just wanting another caliber, already have a 9mm,.380 and .22 was wanting something else to add but 9mm isnt out as I may wind up with the MK9

I already have a Walther ppks not one from S&W so I'm ruling that out probably i see its made a litttle differnet though

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Gonna throw in my two cents (even though you'd only offer me a penny for my thoughts).

I like small guns, but when it comes to the 45, I prefer the inbetween and go with a 4" barrel. It carries very easy.

That said, if I was going to carry a 3" 45, it would be one of two.

The first would be a Para Ord's Covert Black Slim Hawg http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=110 and the other would be a Colt New Agent http://www.impactguns.com/store/098289041937.html.

The Colt New Agent dosent have "sights" it instead uses the infamous gutter sights which work well in short range defensive situations. My only modification to it would be to add a beavertail grip safety.

Oh since you'r allowing 9mm I'd say take a peak at a used H&K P7. Just saw some advertised for a really nice price and they are the best 9mm out there IMO.

But then again, I can conceal the 4" just fine and it works for me.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Gonna throw in my two cents (even though you'd only offer me a penny for my thoughts).

I like small guns, but when it comes to the 45, I prefer the inbetween and go with a 4" barrel. It carries very easy.

That said, if I was going to carry a 3" 45, it would be one of two.

The first would be a Para Ord's Covert Black Slim Hawg http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=110 and the other would be a Colt New Agent http://www.impactguns.com/store/098289041937.html.

The Colt New Agent dosent have "sights" it instead uses the infamous gutter sights which work well in short range defensive situations. My only modification to it would be to add a beavertail grip safety.

Oh since you'r allowing 9mm I'd say take a peak at a used H&K P7. Just saw some advertised for a really nice price and they are the best 9mm out there IMO.

But then again, I can conceal the 4" just fine and it works for me.
    About how much does those 2 guns u linked run in the store? When its all said and done I'll probably wind up with one of the khars because Id want to be able to pocket carry, i know some say they MK's are heavy but i carry crap in my pockets now sooooo but if the 1911 arent too over priced i'd consider them for belt carry or something price WILL be a factor though....

Oh and the P7 is ugly as hell to me sorry i said a pretty gun yeah im being anal hahahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links