Anyone carry aS&W model 66; 2 1/2"

This is a discussion on Anyone carry aS&W model 66; 2 1/2" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering if anyone is carrying one of these "Combat Magnums" for their CCW. Saw one recently that I like with a 2 1/2" underlug ...

Thread: Anyone carry aS&W model 66; 2 1/2"

Anyone carry aS&W model 66; 2 1/2"

Just wondering if anyone is carrying one of these "Combat Magnums" for their CCW. Saw one recently that I like with a 2 1/2" underlug bbl - reminds me of my 686, which I love (6"bbl.).

I currently carry a Glock 36 45ACP or a S&W 642 38spl iwb. Was wondering about the weight (carrying comfort) and shooting characteristics of the 66. I've never shot a short barreled 357 and worry a little about recoil even with a steel framed K model.

Thanks,

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

2. Remove Ads

Sometimes I carry one...

I have a model 66 with 2.5 inch barrel that I like to carry sometimes in a PWL scabbard holster. The gun conceals as easily as a 1911 with 3 inch barrel, in my opinion. It weighs 32 ounces empty and shooting .357 magnum ammo is easy because of the weight. I like the good double action trigger on this model for rapid shooting, but it can be thumb cocked for very accurate slow shooting as well. I use Hogue Bantam grips, which absorb recoil well.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    The cool factor alone is worth carrying it...

Nice rig Pogo2. Thanks for the pix.

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Nope I sure don't. But I have often carried my S&W 66 with a 3" barrel (ya it has a round but too). I'll take it over a 2.5"r any day, LOL.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I occasionally carry a 66-2 2.5" off duty. I use a Don Hume, open top paddle. My favorite load for it is Speer Gold Dot 158 grain 357.

Great revolver. For me, never having been a J-frame fan, or understanding the attraction of a 5 shot revolver, the 66-2 is as "snubby" as it gets.

Enjoy yours. Regards 18DAI.

I have both the Model 19 Combat Magnum and the 686. Here's my preference...686 2-1/2"
    Attached Images

Pogo2, how well does that PWL work ? Pull in gun tight, no flopping around etc..., how high does it ride ? How easy is it to reholster?

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have a model 66 with 2.5 inch barrel that I like to carry sometimes in a PWL scabbard holster. The gun conceals as easily as a 1911 with 3 inch barrel, in my opinion. It weighs 32 ounces empty and shooting .357 magnum ammo is easy because of the weight. I like the good double action trigger on this model for rapid shooting, but it can be thumb cocked for very accurate slow shooting as well. I use Hogue Bantam grips, which absorb recoil well.

I recently obtained a NIB 1975 vintage 2.5" Model 66. It balanced wonderfully and felt great in the hand. It was to be my new, go to CCW weapon of choice. I changed jobs and needed the money. I bought it at a bargain price and sold it for a nice profit. Unfortunately, the price I sold it for was still too cheap. Hope to find another one some day!

VIP Member
    Back in the early 1990s....that was my carry gun. Prior to 1995 it was all I carried...Now my father carries it!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

PWL makes nice holsters

Quote Originally Posted by Waynefi View Post
    Pogo2, how well does that PWL work ? Pull in gun tight, no flopping around etc..., how high does it ride ? How easy is it to reholster?
    The PWL holster shown in my posting is one of my favorite holsters, and holds the gun high on the belt with the butt tight against my side under my ribs. I can reholster easily with one hand. It has a clever design in which the two "wings" of leather on either side of the gun lever the barrel of the gun slightly outward, thereby forcing the butt inward towards your side to prevent it from sticking out and printing.

The PWL company is in England and has been in the holster business for a long time. They have a distributor in Atlanta, Georgia:

PWL USA website

They use some of the nicest leather I have seen on a holster, and the workmanship is excellent.

I have a 3" 65 and a 3" 66. Both a great carry guns. The .357 for short barrel revolvers is great ammo. I'm having a senior moment here-I think it's Speer Gold Dot 135 gr JHP.
    Dave

Thanks pogo, I know of them, but never tried them, as they are not "custom". Not a holster snob, just don't always trust some of the stuff out there. I will give them a call.

Thanks again.

My EDC is a 4" Model 65. No problems hiding or drawing it.

I don’t have a Model 66, but have a nickel-plated Model 19 (the same gun in carbon steel) that I’ve carried off and on for a good number of years. I purchased the gun new ‘round about 1974, and it was my main carry gun for several years.

When I first got the gun, it had those little, skinny grips that Smith & Wesson guns used to come with. At the time, no one made grips that fit my hand comfortably, so I made some of my own. Interestingly, they’re pretty similar to many of the round-butt grips currently on the market. These helped attenuate the recoil, but the gun still recoils quite sharply with full house loads.

Back in my younger, dumber days, I fed this gun a steady diet of full-power .357 loads. I found out later this will “shoot the gun loose” over time and induce end-shake in the cylinder. Mine developed end-shake to the point that it started to misfire and go out of time before I sent it back to Smith to have the crane stretched. That fixed the problem.

Also, be aware that the ejector rods on these guns are shorter than the ones on Smith’s longer barreled guns. If you simply depress the ejector rod, it won’t kick the empty cases clear of the chambers.

These are great little guns, but you may want to use .38s for practice, and work on your reload technique until you can pop the ejector rod sharply enough to reliably drive the empty cases clear of the chambers.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Links