Ok, you can laugh

This is a discussion on Ok, you can laugh within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I seem to remember some serious criticisms of the Bulldog 44. Something to do with the alloy in the frame. Maybe something specific about the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ok, you can laugh

I seem to remember some serious criticisms of the Bulldog 44. Something to do with the alloy in the frame. Maybe something specific about the barrel. I think IIRC there might have been an aluminum sleeve interior to the barrel that may have been a source for problems...but I can't be sure.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    The Bulldog was a solid barrel, the Pug series was the first with the shrouded barrel configuration. They're the same gun other than that. They WOULD shoot loose with diet stout loads, then again so does the Pug series.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

This one's the Pug Model....... full shrouded BBL with more sturdy front sight.......My intent is to use it as a BUG....not really as a first line of defense weapon, although it could be used in a few certain situations, where a less costly weapon may be lost, due to unforseen circumstances...

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - not trying to be pedantic (what me!?) - but J-K size region of frame would not IMO be man enough for these larger cals. I honestly think an L frame dimension is needed - remember too you are gonna have to house a substantially larger cyl too - even if five shot.

If something like GP-100 or 686 was made to accomodate 45LC or 44 spl and just a 2 1'2" maybe - while quite heavy and not small - this would be a platform I'd consider for carry - as I do not downsize a lot and weight for me is not a biggie.

That Pug is pretty much fitting the bill of course!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thumbs up

Hi Chris.. you're right on the money with all you've said !!.. I'd love to see a GP100, a Smith L frame, or Colt Python frame in a 5 shot 44 mag, 45 Long Colt, etc.. I just wish the Manufacturers would be a little more adventurous with that idea.
    I once had a Security Industies stainless steel 5 shot 357mag in a J frame size revolver back in 1979.. That was such a cool handgun!! That's where S&W got the idea for the 357 model 60. I once read somewhere, that a custom Gunsmith was converting K and L frames to a larger Caliber..44, 45LC etc. I can't remember who it was, but I remember them doing a super job on the conversion.. Do any of you know who I'm talking about? I'm gonna do some digging to find out a bit more info, as it's beginning to really intregue me now

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - more thinking. Well if 1.610 represents OAL on .44 mag, then that is only 20 thou over .357 . and .45 LC is pretty much same so - in fact it is a cylinder girth mod that is needed - length would be same and work.

But - thinking of space available within K or L - of original .357 spec' then, sure wondering how to accomodate the extra girth. Frame base to top strap dimension if you will.

I guess tho - and ain't done any math or drawings - just perhaps a 5 shot in a larger cal could work tho wondering still about cyl' wall thickness externally. Perhaps save a few thou on crane cyl rod by making it a tad smaller. Sounding like a lotta work tho, compared with having an ''off-the-shelf'' gun available.

A barrel change seems the least of the problems!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    I'm not gonna laugh. Sounds like a good deal to me....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links