Ok, you can laugh

Ok, you can laugh

This is a discussion on Ok, you can laugh within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Fello Forumites I was in kittery tonight, went to look at that Colt Detective Special I placed on hold. Well, I got there, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, you can laugh

Ok, you can laugh

Hi Fello Forumites
    I was in kittery tonight, went to look at that Colt Detective Special I placed on hold. Well, I got there, and asked to see it. It was a 2nd issue 2inch Coltguard finish gun... NICE finish, real "Sammy Spade" gun, BUT when I opened the crane, and went to push the ejector rod, something was amiss, I examined it further and found it to be a parts gun, the ejector rod wasn't the original, and the timing was horrible, along with the the cartidge ejector spinning freely and not fitting into place to close the cylinder to the frame. ( I'm speaking very nice about it) I declined to buy it, and asked it they had gotten anything else. Nope, not yet, nada...so I sat there ..ready to leave, and who shows up, but a guy and his wife. They were trading a gun in, to hpefully buy a handgun 38 spl caliber...NOW, I know we have another thread going with Jo/Oh about a CCW for his wife, and THIS lady carried a 44 Spl revolver, Charter Arms Pug to be exact. They're trading it in, for all things, a detective special, yep, you got it, the one I was gonna snag!! Now here I am watching the deal go down, and thinking "should I ask about this gun"...the better got to me, and as they left, I asked to see it.. Charter Arms Pug 44Spl 5-shot 2.5 inch BBL with shrouded ejector rod..It's a newer production model... NOW NOW..go ahead and laugh at me, as I know I sometimes make big boo boos, BUT I placed it on a 60 day Lay-A-Way..negotiated it for $150.00..
    I think, with it being a alloy frame, 44 Spl 2.5 in BBL, 97% finish with box and papers.. I THINK (as I'm hoping for your opinions here) that I made a decent choice for a off hand BUG carry gun that I wouldn't mind losing, should I get in a tight situation. Here's the pics
    BTW..Chris? Euc? Bumper? Bud? RFrt? Betty? and all the rest ok.ya'll can roll on the floor and laugh.. maybe I deserve this one, then again, I may be in "the Twilight Zone" along with Euc
    Attached Images
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; July 17th, 2005 at 12:42 AM.

No laughing here.

Actually I think you did all right on that.

Considering the lack of .44 Special chambered snubbies, that's about as good as it gets for right now. If I was in the right mood I'd have bought it too.

Yeah so it's from the new Charter Arms, but heck the old ones really weren't that amazing they were just plain and simple and that made them inexpensive.

I wouldn't pay more than $200 for such a thing so $150 sounds pretty good to me.

Then again I'm the goofy guy looking for a used Taurus snub in .44 special and I like Rossis.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Actually I think you did all right on that.

Considering the lack of .44 Special chambered snubbies, that's about as good as it gets for right now. If I was in the right mood I'd have bought it too.

Yeah so it's from the new Charter Arms, but heck the old ones really weren't that amazing they were just plain and simple and that made them inexpensive.

I wouldn't pay more than $200 for such a thing so $150 sounds pretty good to me.

Then again I'm the goofy guy looking for a used Taurus snub in .44 special and I like Rossis.
    Exactly Euc!! you hit in on the head.i was in the right mood, and as I've never had a Charter Arms (cough) I thought the Pug might be a good choice, as it was cheap (the bottom line for what I was looking for) but I can still decline on the deal within a week or so, and get my $$ back, Just happened to be there at the right time..

Assistant Administrator
    No laughs Bob - I think you probably did well OK. Glad you took a good look at that Colt DS BTW!!!!

My only concern re the Charters is - shoot em too much and IMO they loosen rather fast. That said, if this one is still good'n'tight - little use - then you have yourself an excellent BUG indeed - no huge loss if it goes AWOL and yet - a cal that is most useful. Price seems pretty OK considering.

If (when) you finally pick that up - just shoot a few cyl's full then keep it at the ready. Most useful piece.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Nothing wrong with that deal.

No body is gonna argue with a .44 special anyway...

No laughs sounds like ya got a good deal ... Grips on it look kind of long but that would depend how it shoots beofre i changed them .

here's a little info on the gun that I dug up..and thanks Guys for understanding my wierd tastes these days...LOL.........maybe it's my age or something like that ..heck I dunno
    Chris? I'm thinking exactly on your train of thought.. shoot it a little, carry it as a BUG or a "just in case" gun....and use it for when I venture into those "questionable neighborhoods" where it may dissapear or hit the ground and get placed in the evidence room..they gave the guy 130.00 for the gun, and I paid 150.00 and my end of the deal was done before the other guy left the gun shop floor....
    http://www.thegunzone.com/bulldog-pug.html

That Colt I had on hold looked like a Police Trade-in gun.. a real parts gun...It was very sloppy, and timing was very bad.........not to mention pimpy fake pearl grips with a square butt grip.........I'm waiting for QK to start pointing his finger at me, saying, "what did you do that for" LOL......

Assistant Administrator
    The review says it all Bob - just about spot-on. I think this will be a good and not too expensive addition for you. Heck - if I saw one I'd probably snap it up in an instant.
    Chris - P95

You know what is sad, while we're on the subject...

Why there's such a lack of large bore small and medium frame revolvers... I mean honestly there's no reason for it.

Administrator

Thumbs up Charter Arms

Heck...I still remember when The charter Arms .44 special was THE hot Snub Gun of the year & photos of it were plastered all over the front covers of every Gun Ragazine. Guys were "backpacing it" & concealed carry raving about it & everything else. The Charter .44 is AS GOOD of a firearm NOW as it was back then.
    The firearm industry moves forward & new "stuff" hits the marketplace & different firearms get "talked about" but, the great useful guns are no less useful. They are just less "talked about" ~ You did really well.
    I'm glad that you didn't buy the bum colt.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Oh Mannnnn I also found a used Nighthawk there tonight.......$1700.00
    You guys know me too well...I kinda buy things on impuse.....I sometimes make boo boos......I REALLY appreciate your input!! I also noticed a TON of preban and postban rifles ther tonight... a coupls of Glocks ..A G33, a G37? <45 GAP to be exact> for you Glockers

Senior Moderator
    Taurus is about the only company that has come out with anything in that area.

I shot the .44 special they had...I liked it enough that one day I will own one...

Assistant Administrator
    Oh Mannnnn I also found a used Nighthawk there tonight.......$1700.00
    Steady Bob - don't get carried away now.!
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    Taurus is about the only company that has come out with anything in that area.

I shot the .44 special they had...I liked it enough that one day I will own one...
    I believe I saw a Taurus 41 Mag there.used. and in Stainless 415.00 I think

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links